Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Limp Wristing <<FACT OR FICTION>>???

Personally I believe limp wristing is fiction not fact, IMO.. I decided to do research on the subject here's what I found .

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...est_2_0001.flv

If FICTION?....Why would someone want to invent "Limp Wristing" maybe to have an excuse to cover his pistol's bad cycling or bad ammo self loading skill's or cheap pistol or to blame on his girlfriend...LOL Just my opinion nothing more. I've been actively shooting firearm's for 48 year's & have never seen any real proof that Limp Wristing really exsist??? But the video does pull in my direction. This is nothing more than my opinion and not meant to offend anyone So chime in with your opinion please! I do reconize that any pistol would maybe have a hip-cup at one time or another for any dozen or so reason's. Any Pistol...and again MAYBE OR MAYBE NOT
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 27th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Limp Wristing <<FACT OR FICTION>>???

you should do a little more research...

limp wrist IS an established fact, and can happen with any autopistol thats not held firmly enough to allow the action to operate.. in that the recoil of teh gun is partially taken up by the hand folding backward, absorbing the energy the slide needs to use to eject, or properly feed a new round.

its verifiable via experimentation.

and its not just pistols, any firearm that relies on reciprocating mass to eject and feed can jam, stovepipe, FTF, whatever if not held properly... this applies to just about any semiauto, or full automatic weapon.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you should do a little more research...

limp wrist IS an established fact, and can happen with any autopistol thats not held firmly enough to allow the action to operate.. in that the recoil of teh gun is partially taken up by the hand folding backward, absorbing the energy the slide needs to use to eject, or properly feed a new round.

its verifiable via experimentation.

and its not just pistols, any firearm that relies on reciprocating mass to eject and feed can jam, stovepipe, FTF, whatever if not held properly... this applies to just about any semiauto, or full automatic weapon.

I have tried by holding losely but none of my pistol's have never done so. But I'm lucky by nature so that doesn't mean alot...LOL Again this is just a fact finding post to hear what other's have tried or experienced? Any my try's to do so are only of (ME) one man in America out of million's that it has not happened to so my own result's surely do not convience me either 100% So my result's are only guesstaments of one Pee-On...Me ...LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 27th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

In my experience it's very real. I've seen pistols that haven't had hiccups in 5,000 rounds, using the same load as all others. Put that pistol and load in the hands of a novice, and it would jam, stovepipe, etc every other round. Someone else who was an experienced shooter could finish the same magazine without a problem or stoppage. Load up a different magazine, give it to the novice shooter, more problems. Changed their grip and made them hold the pistol differently, pistol starts to run properly.

Honestly, even from a physics standpoint, I don't see how you think it's just a myth. When an object is moving, and it imparts part of its energy and momentum to a second object (the wrist), it's may not have enough kinetic energy to compress the recoil spring enough to cycle properly. This could keep the pistol from ejecting the round properly, the slide getting far enough back to pickup the next round off the magazine, etc, etc.

Obviously there are many factors that influence this situation and problem. The charge of the load/pressure will definitely effect how much energy the slide has initially imparted on it. The strength of the recoil spring will effect how much energy is required to push the slide back far enough to cycle properly. The mass of the slide will effect how much energy it takes to get the slide moving, and it will also effect the momentum of the slide, and how long it carries the energy imparted on it. The exact way that the pistol ejects and cycles, and whether or not the barrel drops down will also effect the system. Even the impulse and pressure curve of the powder being used will effect how the pistol cycles.

With hot loads, a well used recoil spring, or someone holding a pistol at least reasonably well; there may still be enough energy to cycle properly. Using a lighter load, with a stiff recoil spring, and really loosely holding onto the pistol could definitely cause it to not cycle. It's a dynamic system with lots of variables, and I think it's definitely real. Just because you can't get your pistol to do it with your current loads, doesn't mean that others can't reliably replicate it with different loads, pistols, recoil springs, etc.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; June 27th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.

It is fact. Which weapons are you testing? How are you testing? A loose grip alone may not create the conditions to produce a FTE, stovepipe, or any of the other associated malfunctions. Are you firing offhand, from a bench, weak hand, strong hand? Need specifics.

The best way I could describe limp wristing is a baseball vs. a bat compared to a baseball vs. a pillow. Both the bat and pillow can be swung at the same speed and weigh the same. However because of their structure impart different amounts of energy into the baseball. A limp wrist is not a rigid structure and it retards the motion of the rearward moving slide by allowing the frame of the pistol to then move in the same direction as the slide. Friction and spring resistance then keep the slide from moving back the full length and properly cycling the case out and a new round in.

(Chester County)

This is pretty common knowledge, it being real and all. Shoot a Glock.
    Great job!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
    This is pretty common knowledge, it being real and all. Shoot a Glock.
    Of the 3 malfunctions I've encountered with my Glock, one was determined to be caused by improper grip. It happened at a group shoot, and I was being photographed while shooting, so there was no question that my grip was "wrong" when reviewing the images later.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    Personally I believe limp wristing is fiction not fact, IMO.. I decided to do research on the subject here's what I found .

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...est_2_0001.flv

If FICTION?....Why would someone want to invent "Limp Wristing" maybe to have an excuse to cover his pistol's bad cycling or bad ammo self loading skill's or cheap pistol or to blame on his girlfriend...LOL Just my opinion nothing more. I've been actively shooting firearm's for 48 year's & have never seen any real proof that Limp Wristing really exsist??? But the video does pull in my direction. This is nothing more than my opinion and not meant to offend anyone So chime in with your opinion please! I do reconize that any pistol would maybe have a hip-cup at one time or another for any dozen or so reason's. Any Pistol...and again MAYBE OR MAYBE NOT
    Consider it to be a compromise on the design of the gun. That being said, some guns are designed to have less issues with an improper grip than others. It is no different than any other sport now. Some golf clubs are designed to make people "better" than they are, your car has features that allow you to drive better than you really can, and it goes on.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Perry County)

I intentionally tried limp wristing when I first bought my 1911. I thought I was going to lose the gun but I got the pistol to stovepipe when I let my wrist loose enough. I don't recommend anyone else doing it (you might get a black eye or drop your gun) but it did happen.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(York County)

I think the answer to your question probably occurs in another episode of that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast