Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Limp Wristing <<FACT OR FICTION>>???

"Limp Wristing" a semi-auto rifle is known as "bump firing." Same principle.

I'm a big fan of the Makarov pistol, the true Makarov and not Romanian, Czech, or Polish handguns chambered for the 9x18 Mak round. I can pretty much loosely hold any of my Makarovs and in two mags' worth of shooting the Mak will double at least twice or three times.

Some semi-autos are more prone to Limp Wristing than others. Also, pistols that have had the triggers lightened up can double or triple if the shooter doesn't hold and follow through properly.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    Personally I believe limp wristing is fiction not fact, IMO...
    Pretty much guarantee it's real. The physics checks out: recoil pushes back on the slide, which pushes the recoil spring, which pushes the frame. If the frame pushes back, then the spring compresses and the action cycles; if not, the whole gun just spins around. If the frame is heavy enough, the recoil spring is light enough, and the rails are slick enough, then the inertia of the frame might be enough to cycle the action by itself. At the other extreme, a polymer frame with a heavy recoil spring and no lube would need something else pushing back to cycle properly.

When I first started shooting my Sigma, I had FTEs and stovepipes every so often. Not often, but a couple times in 50 rounds. After improving my grip, I put the next 2,000 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    If you limp-wrist a Sig Sauer classic series pistol, the slide will fail to lock back after the last shot more often than not. This one is actually in the Sig Sauer Armorer's manual. In the troubleshooting section, failure to lock back is listed as a problem, the first listed solution is "improper grip/letting the gun jump too much"
    My wife has this problem from time to time with her Sig. We've been working on correcting it.

(Chester County)

the only gun i see limp wristing being a real issue with is the desert eagle.

(Allegheny County)

It has been mentioned already, but the design of these guns is such that they have become sensitive to their means of support. This is a good thing, assuming the gun is gripped properly. This allows the gun to recoil less. If the recoil energy is used to flip the gun, it is not being used to push the slide back. The grip must be strong enough to force the slide movement to be linear, not allow it to flip the muzzle. There will be flip, it is not avoidable, but just use a strong proper grip.

On bump firing, limp wristing and bump firing are not the same. Bump firing just uses the movement of the gun to fire the next shot. Limp wristing implies a malfunction.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Luzerne County)

have never seen any real proof that Limp Wristing really exsist"
    I have. I watched it happen to a new shooter. I was shooting at a local pistol range. A fellow came in with a brand new Beretta 92F; he had just bought it and ammo and driven to the range from the gun shop. It was his first pistol. In fact, he had never fired a pistol before (I found all that out afterwards.)

He took the point next to mine. He had a little trouble loading the magazine. Put the mag in the gun, pointed it and fired. Stovepipe. He cleared it. Fired again. Stovepipe. Et cetera....
    He was frustrated. Cussing the gun. Was gonna take it back.
    I asked him a few questions at that point - and found that he was a new shooter. But.....maybe there was a gun problem so I asked if I could shoot a magazine full. I did. No malfunctions.
    He tried. Load. Fire. Stovepipe.
    That is when I talked about holding the gun harder and the need to allow the recoil to operate. He did this. The gun worked.
    Limp wristing is a fact.
    Pete

PS - Here's a compliment: I'll bet that most of you fellows couldn't "limp wrist" a gun if you tried....holding a gun properly is so ingrained that it would be hard for you not to.
    I'm thinking about the "bump-firing" is limp wristing idea.......don't agree with that. The gun fires repeatedly, if it were being limp-wristed, it wouldn't fire at all past one shot. As I understand the process, the trigger is being pressed in such a way that the gun fires as it drops out of recoil.
    Last edited by Pete D.; June 29th, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Lebanon County)

I've had my gun feel the effects of limp wristing once. Very petite wife of my friend shot a semi-auto pistol for the first time. I went through th grip, and fireing process.

First shot, FTE. I told her why it happened, and I could visibly see the gun displace in her hand. We tightened 'er up, and she was good to go...
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Delaware County)

the lady has a tough time shooting her Dad's glock 17..she constantly stove pipes rounds....yes, limp wristing is REAL.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Mercer County)

fact......

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Schuylkill County)

Happens to my sister... a lot.
    III%

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast