Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Looking into an AR....

I've read all the good and bad that I can stand on the interwebs. Everything from AR is junk cause it has to be run in a vacuum to work correctly, to they are the second coming, period.

Anywho, I'm planning on getting an AR, my first. I'm looking to outright buy one, rather than build one, because I don't have the tools, and I'd rather first learn the platform, then perfect it for me.

That being said, I don't know what type of AR to get. I know there are tons, which is why I'm posting this!

I'm picky when it comes to used guns. Used things in general. I just like to baby everything I get, and I assume not everyone is like me lol.

I plan on this being a range/SHTF gun, so I'm stuck on whether I should get a 16 or a 20 inch gun. I doubt the 4 inches will make a drastically-huge-omg difference. Obviously I know accuracy/range is the key here, but how much accuracy/range would I be losing out of that 4 inches?

I'm going to try to stick with iron sights as long as I can. The only rifle range around my area (that I know of) is the SGL, so I'm capped at 100 yards for now. I figure this will last me until I can put all my shots ontop of one another, lol. Even so, I'd love to stick with irons as long as possible.

My price range is capped out somewhere at $1500. It basically depends on how long I want to wait, to save up for it. I'd like to save money on the gun, so I can buy ammo/mags right away, and training whenever I can get my vacation days to coincide with training days.

I'm leaning towards the SW MP15. I'd love to hear from owners any pluses or minuses about them.

I'm open to ideas, so, fire away!

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Looking into an AR....

Bushmaster AR15's are good i love mine and so does my buddy, i have over 2k rounds thru mine and not one FTF it still looks brand new.

I like Rock River Arms AR15 but they are hard to find , they have great triggers, i would go for RRA or Bushmaster for a first AR- u wont stop at just one , i am looking to get a 2nd AR possibly a RRA.

i dont know anything about S&W MP15 i never fired one, only Colt and Bushmaster. I would get a 16 inch barrel with removable handle .

mho? sp1. cool looking, and,,,,,,,,cool looking..

triangular hand guard.
    and the shorty, aluminum collapsible stock..
    i had both but sold the shorty.i never shoot them because their unreliable, but they do look cool...
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Another vote for a Colt SP1.

There out there in their original 70's vintage VietNam appearance at prices close to LE6920s. Or a clone of an SP1.

Everyone's uncles cousins grandfathers neighbors nephew runs an AR assembly company making M4rgerys, NO one is making SP1s or clones in any number.

True; there are no RIS rails to hang a Tango Down whatever, or a laser, radar, GPS, ACOG, lights, cameras, IPhone, Mr Microphone or the toaster oven - but at least you'll be different than the other AR shooters at the range.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

I have an m&p 15 and I love it. Don't know what kind of answer you're looking for, but I've never had a problem with mine, I'd put it up against a Colt any day. Reviews from what I've read have all been good as well. I have the m4 style with the removable carry handle, 16in barrel, etc. Also if you buy one now, Smith and Wesson are offering either a $100 rebate or extra pmags (I'm pretty sure thats the deal I saw, check their website or your local retailer). When I bought mine in January of this year, they were running a similar special. I got 5 free magpul pmags as a mail in rebate, pretty damn sweet.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

How are the pmags? Have you had any trouble with them? I know a guy who has polymer mags (can't remember if they are pmags or not) for his AK, and he has a bit of trouble loading it into the gun. Could just be his gun though, lol.

Also, do you have the fixed or flip-up sights? And if flip-up, how do you like them? (accuracy, problems with them, etc)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    How are the pmags? Have you had any trouble with them? I know a guy who has polymer mags (can't remember if they are pmags or not) for his AK, and he has a bit of trouble loading it into the gun. Could just be his gun though, lol.

Also, do you have the fixed or flip-up sights? And if flip-up, how do you like them? (accuracy, problems with them, etc)
    The pmags rock, no problems. They are tough and durable and came with dust covers on top, way better than the standard aluminum imho.

What do you mean by "flip up sights"? The rear sight can be "flipped" to the the tiny aperture for long range or the 0-2 larger aperture for any targets between 0-200 meters. That came standard. I use a aluminum tactical red dot from C-More which allows me to co witness my irons as well just in case the red dot fails.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by blankexistance View Post
    I've read all the good and bad that I can stand on the interwebs. Everything from AR is junk cause it has to be run in a vacuum to work correctly, to they are the second coming, period.

Anywho, I'm planning on getting an AR, my first. I'm looking to outright buy one, rather than build one, because I don't have the tools, and I'd rather first learn the platform, then perfect it for me.

That being said, I don't know what type of AR to get. I know there are tons, which is why I'm posting this!

I'm picky when it comes to used guns. Used things in general. I just like to baby everything I get, and I assume not everyone is like me lol.

I plan on this being a range/SHTF gun, so I'm stuck on whether I should get a 16 or a 20 inch gun. I doubt the 4 inches will make a drastically-huge-omg difference. Obviously I know accuracy/range is the key here, but how much accuracy/range would I be losing out of that 4 inches?

I'm going to try to stick with iron sights as long as I can. The only rifle range around my area (that I know of) is the SGL, so I'm capped at 100 yards for now. I figure this will last me until I can put all my shots ontop of one another, lol. Even so, I'd love to stick with irons as long as possible.

My price range is capped out somewhere at $1500. It basically depends on how long I want to wait, to save up for it. I'd like to save money on the gun, so I can buy ammo/mags right away, and training whenever I can get my vacation days to coincide with training days.

I'm leaning towards the SW MP15. I'd love to hear from owners any pluses or minuses about them.

I'm open to ideas, so, fire away!
    If you have $1500 to spend, and only want to run irons for the time being, get a BCM complete mid length. The mid length gas system is easier on recoil and parts, and BCM's guns meet the TDP which is the minimum standard for a gun for the military. It will yield the best chance at a reliable gun that will last you a long time.

If you want to do some reading on why I suggested the above: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA#gid=2

Lots of people will bicker over the applicability, but the real meat is in the testing and inspection performed. I wont go much further, because there will always be someone out there who has had brand XX shoot 402,312 rounds without a single malfunction.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lackawanna County)

Follow the M4 chart!!! You can buy a colt 6920LE for around $1200 brand new these days. These are the "standard" to which the other m4geries are measured against. Short of buying a custom built AR for matches. IMHO these are the best "battle" ready AR's and more accurate then I can shoot it. The 100yd with open sights is cake on my 6920 and its also my first AR that I personally own. If it aint a colt its just a copy

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    If it aint a colt its just a copy
    Not true, but not bad advice. The mid length gas system has no drawbacks, but I am not aware of a Colt middie version of the 6920, or I would suggest that as well. Otherwise, with SHTF in mind, and no mention of it being used as an uber-tactical sniper rifle, think bombproof and how you can get as close to that as possible.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast