Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: "But ALL guns have to be registered - especially in Philly!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Kitty View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I'm currently in the "learning phase". Is a permit necessary to carry a concealed gun in PA? And do you also need a permit to carry a gun in your vehicle?

Thanks for any replies.
    In PA a permit is referred to as a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) and yea you need it to carry concealed, and in a car even if you can see it the gun is considered concealed too so that license would be needed. Open carry in PA is legal without the license EXCEPT in "Cities of the first class" Currently in PA the only such city is Philadelphia.

ETA: the gun in a car is assuming it's loaded. If not and it and it's ammo are in separate containers than you do not need the license, provided you are going to/from a gun shop, range or passing through the state, there may be others and I'm sure if there is someone will be along to correct me.

Last edited by soberbyker; June 27th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

maybe she watched the stossel interview that brady guy claims PA has a registry....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Kitty View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but I'm currently in the "learning phase". Is a permit necessary to carry a concealed gun in PA? And do you also need a permit to carry a gun in your vehicle?

Thanks for any replies.
    This is a great place to start when trying to learn the Pennsylvania Gun Laws. http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

To make it simple:

As a non-prohibited person, over the age 18, in the state of Pennsylvania, you may do the following in any county that is NOT Philadelphia:

- purchase a firearm
    - own a firearm
    - keep it in your house
    - carry it openly and unconcealed if you
    a. are on foot
    b. do not enter or exit a vehicle at any time
    c. are not within the city limits of Philadelphia
    - transport it to an from your home and fixed place of business and firearms vendor/gunsmith, from one to the other

As a person with a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) as issued by a Sherriff's office within the state of Pennsylvania, you may

- carry your firearm concealed
    - carry your firearm within your vehicle
    - carry your weapon on the streets of Philadelphia
    - travel from any point to any other point with your firearm within State borders

There are many other fine details to these laws, as well. The short answer to your questions is such: You need to have an LTCF in order to carry your firearms either concealed or within a vehicle, anywhere in the state.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    ETA: the gun in a car is assuming it's loaded. If not and it and it's ammo are in separate containers than you do not need the license, provided you are going to/from a gun shop, range or passing through the state, there may be others and I'm sure if there is someone will be along to correct me.

That one irks me beyond all belief. I think FOAC is working on a bill to change that one. Someone without a LTCF going to the range who simply stops along the way home for gas or a bite to eat is a criminal simply because they did not go straight home. Some of these laws are absolutely ridiculous and obviously intended to make legal gun ownership prohibitive.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    - carry your firearm on the streets of Philadelphia
    Fixed it for you.

According to the NRA guidelines, the word "weapon" is not kosher, and associated with the word "bad" in sheeple' minds (no to mention it's broad application - fron knives to WMD). So the words gun and firearm, but to the way lesser extent. Thus [I guess] NRA decided not to fight bad image of the word "weapon", but to concentrate on gun and firearm. And recommended to use THEM as accurate descriptions of... well... guns

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Fixed it for you.

According to the NRA guidelines, the word "weapon" is not kosher, and associated with the word "bad" in sheeple' minds (no to mention it's broad application - fron knives to WMD). So the words gun and firearm, but to the way lesser extent. Thus [I guess] NRA decided not to fight bad image of the word "weapon", but to concentrate on gun and firearm. And recommended to use THEM as accurate descriptions of... well... guns
    i generally use the term "sidearm"
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

I'm diggin Officer Viper. You should totally join the force and set things straight from the inside!

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    In PA a permit is referred to as a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) and yea you need it to carry concealed, and in a car even if you can see it the gun is considered concealed too so that license would be needed. Open carry in PA is legal without the license EXCEPT in "Cities of the first class" Currently in PA the only such city is Philadelphia.

christ not this again...open or concealed has nothing to do with it. you need a ltcf to carry any firearm loaded in a car. the method of carry isn't the issue, it's the fact that you're in/on a vehicle that you need a ltcf to drive around with it loaded

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    christ not this again...open or concealed has nothing to do with it. you need a ltcf to carry any firearm loaded in a car. the method of carry isn't the issue, it's the fact that you're in/on a vehicle that you need a ltcf to drive around with it loaded
    This is like the way some officers and people like to think OC is illegal in Philadelphia. The way the law is written, it says no one can carry a gun in Philly without an LTCF - it says nothing about differentiating between OC and CC. Either way, you're still carrying it, which is specifically legal and lawful if you have a license to carry. Period.

(Northampton County)

Somebody, somewhere, sometime, decided that since the transport of a handgun in a car requires LTCF that this situation was analogous to carrying concealed. And somehow the rumor started that having a gun in/on a conveyance makes it concealed under the law. Or maybe it has to do with a law in another state.

Nothing could be further from the truth. They are two distinct issues. But the rumor persists...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast