Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mag Storage?

(Lebanon County)

Default Mag Storage?

Hey all,

I seem to run into a problem and I was hoping some of you had some suggestions. I have a room for all of my kids (guns) and I have a good storage system for the firearms themselves. The problem I am running into is not having any logical method in storing the mags. If it was one or two mags per gun I have that under control, but the issue is I have a LARGE amount of mags I have to store and for all different types of rifles/pistols. With that said how do you guys store your mags? I had them in drawers, but it was a pain in the ass searching for a certain mag when I wanted to go on a range trip. My goal is to have them easily accessible but yet stored in a way that is orderly for quick access so I don't spend an hour+ loading the truck for some range time.

Any idea is welcome, from the simplest no brainer to the most complex.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Mag Storage?

A simple answer I have found is those cloth bags they sell at the grocery store. one bag for each type of mag. those bags can support a bunch of loaded mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    Hey all,

I seem to run into a problem and I was hoping some of you had some suggestions. I have a room for all of my kids (guns) and I have a good storage system for the firearms themselves. The problem I am running into is not having any logical method in storing the mags. If it was one or two mags per gun I have that under control, but the issue is I have a LARGE amount of mags I have to store and for all different types of rifles/pistols. With that said how do you guys store your mags? I had them in drawers, but it was a pain in the ass searching for a certain mag when I wanted to go on a range trip. My goal is to have them easily accessible but yet stored in a way that is orderly for quick access so I don't spend an hour+ loading the truck for some range time.

Any idea is welcome, from the simplest no brainer to the most complex.
    USNRET '61-'81

(York County)

some years ago i created a "gun room". it has about 400 SF floor space with wrap around shelves and vertical gun racks built in, with storage on wall for about 80 long guns and a couple hundred linear feet of shelving. i did a wainscotting and made the shelves from pine 1X12 with appropriate trim lumber. i have a couch and woodstove, and crates of ammo and floor racks for the spill over guns that are not stacked on the floor. it's still a mess, tripping over tripods and rifle crates. crazy how much stuff you accumulate. would take about 5 hours to auction, but it's home.

buy a stack of 1X12 and start building.

Do you want them stored in a closet or a drawer?

The first thing that comes to my mind is an over the door storge organizer. Something Like this.

Obvisouly not that flowery. If you have any experience with sewing you could probably find some old curtains at a second hand store and make one that fits what you need and looks good. Then label eash compartment for quick and easy access.

Second thing that comes to mind is an under the bed organizer. Like this. Except make it out of wood. It should fit under your bed nicely and keep it organized.

Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by ajsaloon; June 27th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.

(Lebanon County)

All good feedback so far

I consider shelves and that was the way I planned on going but I wanted to post here to see the different ideas.

I must say the cloth bags and the shoe sorters are unique but very handy ideas. Thanks to all three of you and I am very eager to see what the next couple ideas are.

(Centre County)

I've got a pile of shelves in a "fruit cellar" that I put the magazines on. I store them in either ammo can's with fitted sleeves to keep them separated (uzi mags) or in "trays" that are made out of corrugated plastic that are identical to what the USPS uses for mail. They look like this. I keep them covered to keep the dust out.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Chester County)

What about different ammo cans, labeled with what mags are inside them?
    Hoplophobia is funny

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    What about different ammo cans, labeled with what mags are inside them?
    loaded too.....
    FJB

(Indiana County)

If you are talking about 10-15+ mags per each weapon, ammo cans are the way to go.
    If you are talking one or two mags each for 10-15+ weapons, I would suggest a plastic storage bin with slide out drawers like a mechanic stores nuts and bolts in, of the appropriate size for whatever mags you are storing.
    Or something like this might be good for handgun mags:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Port...-Bin-Kit/H0769

Search auctions and garage sales for a good buy on a locking mechanics roll away tool chest. They make a good mag and ammo storage bin. Label the drawers with 1911, AR, AK, FAL ect....adding dividers as needed. I have an old MAC tool box that I use, the large bottom drawers hold bulk boxed ammo and rifle mags, the shallow drawers on the upper chest hold pistol mags. I picked it up for $100 at an auction and it has to be holding near 500 lbs of ammo and mags plus it locks. Take the casters off, and it can be bolted to the floor/wall.

A buddy of mine is a real cheapskate and uses 5 gallon buckets from the restaurant that his wife works at for storage. They have lids, carry handles and stack up on top of each other. He just labels them with a sharpie and some duct tape.
    When we shoot, he brings a bucket with loaded mags and an empty to toss empty mags and brass into.
    Works pretty good if you don't mind looking like a welfare bum scrounging for brass with buckets that smell like pickles and potato salad...