Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Legal to shoot on friend's property?

I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but I wasn't even sure exactly how to run a search for it. If it has been addressed I apologize.

A friend of mine has about 4 acres of land in Apollo, PA (Armstrong County). The land is mostly open field with small hills. I would like to shoot at pistol targets with one of the hills as a backstop. She told me that it's fine with her, and that she would just notify the neighbors what we were doing so they aren't alarmed.

Given the circumstance, is it legal for me to shoot targets with my 9mm pistols on her land?

I know she said I'm allowed, and have her permission, but I definitely want to make sure. Also if you need anymore information let me know and I'll give what I can.

Thanks in advance!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Legal to shoot on friend's property?

Counties, townships, etc. may regulate discharge, so even though there is no state law prohibiting it if it's done in a safe manner (proper backstop, etc.), she may want to double-check locally to make sure there won't be an issue.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

If she's allowed, then you're allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    If she's allowed, then you're allowed.
    Well the thing is I don't think she really knows if she is allowed. She thinks she is, and has hunted groundhogs on her land with a .22, but that doesn't mean it's legal to discharge firearms on her property. The last thing I want to do is break any laws just to shoot some targets.

Is there a way to find out for sure if she is allowed to shoot on her property? Should I call the Armstrong County Sheriff's office and inquire?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    Should I call the Armstrong County Sheriff's office and inquire?
    Hell no. The last people you want to ask about the law are law enforcement. If your county/township has their code online, you can search it for yourself. If not, contact the governing bodies that actually enact such regulations. They should not only be able to answer the question, but provide (in writing) exactly what the measure says - so you can assess it for yourself. Even they do not always understand the implications of the language that is used. They may intend to do one thing, but do something else because of poor word choice.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

Assuming your friend lives in the Borough of Apollo, you should contact the Borough Secretary. But, if your friend lives in Kiskiminetas Township, then the Township Secretary would have to be contacted. Ask if there's an ordinance governing firearm discharge.

County government really can't help on local ordinances, sheriff's office definitely can't. Local police might, but that's really a last resort.