Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Wood grip clean up / restoration

I've been searching for a set of original wood grips for my Sig P210-2 for about 8 months now. I found two used sets that looked OK in that period of time.

One set was $275.00 shipped, the other $295.00 shipped

I came across these from a Sig collector in Illinois and they were more reasonably priced at $65.00 but they were pretty ugly. I didn't need a perfect set as the gun is a nice "shooter" condition gun. I decided to buy them and try to clean them up to at least look respectable.

This is what they looked like when I got them. They looked a lot worse than the pictures show. They looked like somebody had varnished them at one point and the varnish had worn off at several different places .

I soaked them in Acetone for about 15 hours. I used a nylon and a steel wire brush to clean the dirt and old finish off of them.

I used Tung oil to refinished them.

I ended up putting 3 coats on them to get the color that I wanted. When using Tung oil, each coat dries to a glossier finish.

I didn't want a real glossy finish so I knocked the gloss down with some fine steel wool.

Here they are on the gun.

I'm very happy with the way they turned out and the amount of money that I put into getting them. These grips look just about as good as the ones that were being sold for close the $300.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Default Re: Wood grip clean up / restoration

Looks like they turned out very nice. As in just about any wood finishing project, surface prep is the key.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Default Re: Wood grip clean up / restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    I've been searching for a set of original wood grips for my Sig P210-2 for about 8 months now. I found two used sets that looked OK in that period of time.

One set was $275.00 shipped, the other $295.00 shipped

I came across these from a Sig collector in Illinois and they were more reasonably priced at $65.00 but they were pretty ugly. I didn't need a perfect set as the gun is a nice "shooter" condition gun. I decided to buy them and try to clean them up to at least look respectable.

This is what they looked like when I got them. They looked a lot worse than the pictures show. They looked like somebody had varnished them at one point and the varnish had worn off at several different places .

I soaked them in Acetone for about 15 hours. I used a nylon and a steel wire brush to clean the dirt and old finish off of them.

I used Tung oil to refinished them.

I ended up putting 3 coats on them to get the color that I wanted. When using Tung oil, each coat dries to a glossier finish.

I didn't want a real glossy finish so I knocked the gloss down with some fine steel wool.

Here they are on the gun.

I'm very happy with the way they turned out and the amount of money that I put into getting them. These grips look just about as good as the ones that were being sold for close the $300.
    They look Great...$295....DAM what a price...SHOCKING to say the least. I did some reading on your piece it has a lot of history & is worth a lot of money. I'm sure that's why the original grip's are so high.But I'm sure you already know that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_P210
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 27th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)