Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: HELP ME PLEASE

Hybrid View

(Delaware County)

Default HELP ME PLEASE

ok i have a .22 magnum and a .22 savage rifle and i have to oil it every week because if the severe rust that starts on it so what should i put on it to make it stop i use rem oil and thats what my friends use but theres dont rust and i keep it upstairs not in the basement and it is not humid so please help me

Default Re: HELP ME PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by wooby_dooby View Post
    ok i have a .22 magnum and a .22 savage rifle and i have to oil it every week because if the severe rust that starts on it so what should i put on it to make it stop i use rem oil and thats what my friends use but theres dont rust and i keep it upstairs not in the basement and it is not humid so please help me
    Hmm, how are you storing the firearms? Are they in a case, gun safe, in a closet, etc? What is the usual humidity where you live? Do the firearms have any type of finish (bluing, cerakote, stainless, etc)? What type of airconditioning do you have in your home (central, "evaporative" ("swamp cooler") etc)? Have you ever tried dessicants like silica gel?

Yea storage is the biggest issue with corrosion

(Centre County)

First clean off any and all rust using the REM oil and 0000 steel wool. This will take off the rust without harming whatever finish is left on the guns. If you don't clean off all the rust it doesn't matter how much you oil it, the rust will continue to form. By cleaning off the rust, you can better seal the metal from the moisture that cases the iron to oxidize. Then before you put them away, wipe them down good with something OTHER THAN Rem Oil, it's way too thin and doesn't protect good (IMO). Use a good CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant). There are many different ones on the market. I happen to like Weapon Shield.

Secondly, examine where you are storing the guns. DO NOT store them in a gun case that won't breath. Cases will hold moisture in and promote the formation of rust. If stored in a gun safe or other holder of this type, put some type of dessicant in with the guns to draw out the moisture. You can get this through midwayUSA, Cheaper Than Dirt, Sportsman Guide and even your local hardware store. Some people even use Uncle Ben's boil-in-bag dried rice to absorb the moisture. I like the dessicant that turns a certain color when it has absorbed as much as it can. You then pop it in an oven on a low heat to dry it out and reuse it. Even if not stored in a basement, but in a upstairs closet, you might want to get a small dehumiderfier to pull the moisture out of the air, this will help also.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

ok i did the rem oil and 0000 but it still doesnt work i store it in the wide open next to my bed and the humidity is around 60-70 in summer

I had a muzzleloader that would always rust. It sat right next to my other guns and they never rusted. I ended up cleaning it, degreasing it, and putting dare I say it something very similar to COSMOLINE on it left it a month, cleaned it off and use gun oil on it now and it does not rust any more. Try putting something heavier than gun oil on it and leave it to soak in real good. Then see what happens. Yes I know it does not make a lot of sense but it worked for me.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.