Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default S&W M&P or RIA 1911

I'm looking to buy a pistol. I'm caught between the M&P or the bottom of the line RIA 1911. I have about $500 to spend, roughly, so, which would you pick?

I've not looked locally yet but the RIA's seem pretty tough to find.

(York County)

Default Re: S&W M&P or RIA 1911

They are very 2 different pistols. If you plan on carrying it I'd recommend the M&P but if it's just for a range toy then go for the RIA and you'll have $$$ leftover for extra mags/ammo.

(Allegheny County)

What do they have to do?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

On top of the question orionz's question about what the intended use of the gun is for, I'd also be curious what you're background with handguns is. Are you a new pistol shooter, or is this just a new addition to the collection?
    Last edited by eXceLon; June 26th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    I'm looking to buy a pistol. I'm caught between the M&P or the bottom of the line RIA 1911. I have about $500 to spend, roughly, so, which would you pick?

I've not looked locally yet but the RIA's seem pretty tough to find.
    Sound's like this will be your first pistol because the difference between the two are Night & Day, if this is so? Get the M&P or a Glock. Don't get a RIA 1911 it will not be as dependable as the other two I mentioned. 1911's are great pistol's I love them but it's hard to get a good dependable one for $500 buck's unless you find a good used one. The MP's or Glocks will shoot any ammo anytime anywhere. 1911's are a whole different kind of beast.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 26th, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Susquehanna County)

I've owned a Glock before. I realize they're day and night but those are the two I'm thinking about. Both would be range guns. I don't plan on carrying.

(Luzerne County)

Smile Re: S&W M&P or RIA 1911

If it is for the range go with the M&P 9mm. 9mm is far less expensive to shoot. I really like the M&P. It's on my wish list. As for a 45, I bought a SA 1911 Loaded stainless.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie De View Post
    If it is for the range go with the M&P 9mm. 9mm is far less expensive to shoot. I really like the M&P. It's on my wish list. As for a 45, I bought a SA 1911 Loaded stainless.
    Well your good to go with the SA Loaded, IMO it's one of the best 1911's for the price, it's amazing at the quality you get for what I consider a low price for such a good 1911.
    The most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. I would surely pick the M&P over the RIA. Well that's my preference.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 27th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

(Carbon County)

The RIA is a low priced 1911,, but it is a very dependable one,, just read over on the 1911 forums about their track record.. one of the least problematic 1911's.. that said.. it is heavy.. I have one.. and its my carry and its heavy,, I have the compact. I love it.. its small.. and I'll be getting a 380 something for summer carry for shorts.. the weight of the 1911 will drag down the shorts.. But it shoots great.. and so far feeds anything..haven't had one FTF/FTE but it is heavy.. and did I say its heavy.. Also if I rest on the bench I can place them in a 3" group at 25 yards.. something I cant do with the lighter pistols but that me..

Talking Re: S&W M&P or RIA 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    The RIA is a low priced 1911,, but it is a very dependable one,, just read over on the 1911 forums about their track record.. one of the least problematic 1911's.. that said.. it is heavy.. I have one.. and its my carry and its heavy,, I have the compact. I love it.. its small.. and I'll be getting a 380 something for summer carry for shorts.. the weight of the 1911 will drag down the shorts.. But it shoots great.. and so far feeds anything..haven't had one FTF/FTE but it is heavy.. and did I say its heavy.. Also if I rest on the bench I can place them in a 3" group at 25 yards.. something I cant do with the lighter pistols but that me..

I just wanted to know how big it is?.... so I'll know how heavy it is cause if it's heavy & I fall out of the boat I don't want to drown because it's to heavy. Is it heavier than how it look's, cause it look's heavy...LOL
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 27th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast