Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: NRA 2011 Annual Meeting

I've never been to a NRA convention before so I emailed them. Here are the questions I asked and the answer's to those questions.

1. As a member of the NRA do I get in for free?
    2. Can I take my wife who's not a member with me for free as my guest?

"Thank you for contacting us.
    Access to the Convention Center and vendor displays is free for NRA Members. Members may bring their immediate family (spouse/dependant children) as their guests free of charge. Adult children, siblings or friends must be current Members or sign up at the Membership booth at the Convention Center."

I have two more follow up questions.
    1. Do I have to order tickets online or just walk in with my NRA I.D.?
    2. Am I allowed to carry my firearm at this event or is a gun free zone?

"You can preregister by going here: https://www.nraam.org/registration/login.asp
    Tickets for certain events can be purchased here: http://www.nraam.org/events/cavfe.html
    At this time we do not have a definitive answer on whether or not conceal carry will be permitted.
    Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us if you ever need anything else"

Bottom line:
    If I intend on only viewing the free portions I can walk in. Anything above that requires paying a minimum of $50.00 and I may have to go gun free at a gun show...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Bucks County)

K.C.- read post #5 and it will give you the answer about carrying into the convention.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Allegheny County)

I've read the post. I just hope it stays that way. I think that contact you had was in july? Being a member of PAFOA has taught me to stay on top of the latest info regarding anything dealing with my everyday firearm carry. It would just burn me up to go to an event thinking I was ok and end up being turned away. I will once again double check this right before the event, cant help it .
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Butler County)

I have emailed them twice, 2 weeks apart and still now answer. They only want your money- not your questions!

(Bucks County)

Try calling the member 800 number.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    I have emailed them twice, 2 weeks apart and still now answer. They only want your money- not your questions!
    Agreed. Don't waste your time. Thats why I emailed the Convention Center and they said as long as you follow PA law you are good to go (read post #5).

Don't even bother with what the NRA says. They probably will never get back to you anyway (but send in your $$$ in the meantime).

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Agreed. Don't waste your time. Thats why I emailed the Convention Center and they said as long as you follow PA law you are good to go (read post #5).

Don't even bother with what the NRA says. They probably will never get back to you anyway (but send in your $$$ in the meantime).

Don't even bother what the NRA says about the NRA convention? If you call them the will be happy to talk to anyonebut especially a member!!

I did send money BTW, NRA Defense Fund just got 50 bucks. You? I send them money every month, do you do more than that? Of course some people help more than others. I'm sure the convention center is not charging for them to be there, and I bet all the employees at the NRA are working for free to set up the show,too. But as long as you get your 25 bucks worth, that's happiness enough for me!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
    When I and 80,000 other NRA members have to walk through a high crime area unarmed because the NRA chose to have their convention in a center that will not allow us to carry--that's NOT protecting our rights.

Regardless of how well the NRA does on many other issues.
    I can certainly appreciate the frustration. On the other hand I'm not sure it's the right choice to limit their conventions to cities and venues that allow for concealed carry. Part of the NRA's mission to to expand gun rights and the shooting sports everywhere, not just hold their conventions in places that are already pro-gun.

As far as convention centers go, in most cities there is usually only one venue big enough to hold their show. Even in relatively pro-gun states, those venues can be gun-free zones. That would mean further restricting the number of cities they could hold a convention in.

I'm glad to hear that it looks like the convention center will allow us to carry, but if it didn't would you rather that Pittsburgh just not get the convention at all? For a lot of us flying to another city and getting a hotel for something like this just isn't an option, so having it come to our city is a great opportunity.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(York County)

I, for one, am very excited about going to the NRA convention. I have not attended one before. I have my reservations done and ready to go!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    I, for one, am very excited about going to the NRA convention. I have not attended one before. I have my reservations done and ready to go!
    Me too. I always wanted to go to one, but couldn't justify the travel expense.
    This is less than a 2 hour drive. Saturday's the day for me, my brother and a couple friends. We'll drive down in the morning and home in the evening.
    Does PAFOA have a booth or someplace to congregate? Is there a way that members can recognize other members? I guess we need hats, or something.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast