Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Thinking about selling my Taurus PT92

I love the LOOK of this gun . . . but I shoot like shit every time I take it to the range and I can't depend on it anymore. I took my .44 Magnum and my XD .45 and my uncle brought a few and I was dead on with those but there's something about this gun that I just don't 'get'. I've had other people shoot it and they thought it was pretty accurate but when I shoot it, I tend to miss low and right. They're fixed sights so I can't adjust them and I bought some 9mm snap caps so I could work on my trigger pull but it didn't help. I would just assume that I sucked at shooting if I didn't do so well with EVERY OTHER pistol I shot last weekend. I fired my uncle's Colt 1911s (one .45 ACP and one with .22 conversion kit) and hit in the black on every shot! I don't know . . . Thoughts? Anyone else have any experience with the PT92? After last weekend, I want a 1911 . . .

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Thinking about selling my Taurus PT92

It is a painful decision, but I think you answered it, you cant shoot it. Do you want to spend the time to get good with it, or use the money to get better with the ones you can shoot fine?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I have a PT99AF (same with adj sights) since 1988 with over 20K rds through it. No problems and is the most accurate 9mm I've ever owned. If your's doesn't work for you try something else.

(Lancaster County)

Try point and shoot. Dont even look at the sights. Grip it with index finger out of the trigger guard. Point to your target. Put index finger on trigger and squeeze. If you hit your target it is a viable defensive weapon and should be kept. On another note, Taurus really needs to stop writing all over their guns.

(Bucks County)

a buddy of mine had a pt92 and couldn't shoot it worth crap but when i tried it i was able to hit the 10 ring ever shot. i would get rid of the taurus but be prepared to take a loss on it since taurus firearms have poor resale value.

(Wayne County)

Don't get rid of it, try a different stance, try a different hold, try other types of ammo than what your using, it has to be you and not the gun... How long have those grips been on it ? They don't look factory , how does it shoot with the original grips ? Don't give up !

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Don't get rid of it, try a different stance, try a different hold, try other types of ammo than what your using, it has to be you and not the gun... How long have those grips been on it ? They don't look factory , how does it shoot with the original grips ? Don't give up !
    The grip that I have on it now is a bit bulkier and fills my hand up a bit more so I have more control of the pistol. Aside from that, I like the look of the Pachmayr grip a lot better. What I really want to do is to have my gunsmith do a trigger job on it and replace the rear sight with something adjustable. I think the double action trigger is WAY too heavy and it's even got a strange feel to it in single action. I've got 6 magazines, a special holster and around 500 rounds of ammo for it so I'd rather not sell the gun. Realistically, I'm probably going to keep it whether I figure this out or not.

Taurus does write a whole lot of crap all over their guns. I'd never thought about it until bripro mentioned it though.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to have a gunsmith lighten the trigger? I definately think it would help . . .

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    The grip that I have on it now is a bit bulkier and fills my hand up a bit more so I have more control of the pistol. Aside from that, I like the look of the Pachmayr grip a lot better. What I really want to do is to have my gunsmith do a trigger job on it and replace the rear sight with something adjustable. I think the double action trigger is WAY too heavy and it's even got a strange feel to it in single action. I've got 6 magazines, a special holster and around 500 rounds of ammo for it so I'd rather not sell the gun. Realistically, I'm probably going to keep it whether I figure this out or not.

Taurus does write a whole lot of crap all over their guns. I'd never thought about it until bripro mentioned it though.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to have a gunsmith lighten the trigger? I definately think it would help . . .
    It is more than likely not the gun, it is you. If you are right handed, then low and right indicates that you are death gripping the gun. Also, it usually indicates that you are fat fingering the trigger, and not fingering it correctly.

I would remove the grips, put on the factory grips, try shooting without them, and then, maybe, consider Hogue slip ons for comfort, because they don't bulk up the handle. It actually sounds like the gun is big in your hand and you are compensating with a bad grip. That wou;ld also be indicated by your statement of how well you shot the 1911, which is a thinner handle because of the single stack.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    I love the LOOK of this gun . . . but I shoot like shit every time I take it to the range and I can't depend on it anymore. I took my .44 Magnum and my XD .45 and my uncle brought a few and I was dead on with those but there's something about this gun that I just don't 'get'. I've had other people shoot it and they thought it was pretty accurate but when I shoot it, I tend to miss low and right. They're fixed sights so I can't adjust them and I bought some 9mm snap caps so I could work on my trigger pull but it didn't help. I would just assume that I sucked at shooting if I didn't do so well with EVERY OTHER pistol I shot last weekend. I fired my uncle's Colt 1911s (one .45 ACP and one with .22 conversion kit) and hit in the black on every shot! I don't know . . . Thoughts? Anyone else have any experience with the PT92? After last weekend, I want a 1911 . . .

So aim high & left sound's crude but without adjustable sight's you either aim high & left or sell it or keep practicing till you get it I had the same pistol in stainless about 10 year's ago no rail back then of course but it shot great, dead on but I sold it to a friend, he still has it & it still shoot's great.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 26th, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    You may very well be onto something with the grips thing.....

I have the Beretta 92 & tried the Houge grips that are identical to yours. My accuracy immediately went into the shitter. They look great & are comfortable as all heck, but your hand is "locked into" the grip as opposed to a more natural "self adjusting" grip.

I had a guy down in Florida cover a set of factory grips in rattlesnake skin & they are GREAT. Seriously, try a different set of grips. You have a great weapon there.

Incidentally, I had an XD 45 and couldn't shoot it for crap no matter what I did. A friend of mine picked it up and empty a magazine into a target 10 yds away and made a beautiful grouping damn near the bulls eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast