Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Thinking about selling my Taurus PT92

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Don't get rid of it, try a different stance, try a different hold, try other types of ammo than what your using, it has to be you and not the gun... How long have those grips been on it ? They don't look factory , how does it shoot with the original grips ? Don't give up !
    I agree with this post 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    The grip that I have on it now is a bit bulkier and fills my hand up a bit more so I have more control of the pistol. Aside from that, I like the look of the Pachmayr grip a lot better. What I really want to do is to have my gunsmith do a trigger job on it and replace the rear sight with something adjustable. I think the double action trigger is WAY too heavy and it's even got a strange feel to it in single action. I've got 6 magazines, a special holster and around 500 rounds of ammo for it so I'd rather not sell the gun. Realistically, I'm probably going to keep it whether I figure this out or not.

Taurus does write a whole lot of crap all over their guns. I'd never thought about it until bripro mentioned it though.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to have a gunsmith lighten the trigger? I definately think it would help . . .
    Also the statement that I highlighted I think is the problem. I think the larger grip is causing you to squeeze the pistol to get a better grip and thus causing you to shoot low right assuming you are right handed. If you like the grip you use try to take your finger out of the trigger slightly, this will cause you to press the trigger and not pull it.

(Perry County)

I have a PT99 SS and it is the handgun I am most accurate with.

(Allegheny County)

Those Taurai are nothin but pieces of crap, no wonder you can't hit the broad side of a barn....it's the gun! Get rid of it quick. Since you live nearby, I think I could do you a favor and take it off your hands

Seriously, look into getting a 'D' spring for it, it's supposed to help trigger pull alot. The 'D' spring is for the Beretta DAO versions, but I believe it is interchangeable with a taurus. Also, per the other comments on the thread, switch the grips back to the factory grips and try it out.

Have you tried sand bagging it to see if it's you or the gun?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    Have you tried sand bagging it to see if it's you or the gun?
    Sand bagging? I'm not following you . . .

I'm going shooting this weekend and I'm planning on putting a couple of magazines through it. I've tried a few different things out and I've dry fired it with my snap caps a couple hundred times. I read on a taurus forum that the pt92 does have a pretty stiff trigger for the first couple hundred shots and I've MAYBE put 150-200 rounds through it since I've had it so it makes sense.

I'm not changing the grip. The appeal of this gun drops significantly for me with the plastic factory grip panels and aside from that, I threw them out a long time ago. I like the grip I have on it now so if it is actually the cause of my problems, I'm just going to have to adjust to it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KDE870 View Post
    Sand bagging? I'm not following you . . .

I'm going shooting this weekend and I'm planning on putting a couple of magazines through it. I've tried a few different things out and I've dry fired it with my snap caps a couple hundred times. I read on a taurus forum that the pt92 does have a pretty stiff trigger for the first couple hundred shots and I've MAYBE put 150-200 rounds through it since I've had it so it makes sense.

I'm not changing the grip. The appeal of this gun drops significantly for me with the plastic factory grip panels and aside from that, I threw them out a long time ago. I like the grip I have on it now so if it is actually the cause of my problems, I'm just going to have to adjust to it.
    What I meant was to shoot slow, well aimed shots from a rest in a supported position, i.e. using sand bags. Take a knee and try to steady yourself by leaning your shoulder against something. Even better, shoot prone. Take your time, squeeze the trigger very slowly, and focus on getting a steady position, good sight picture, trigger squeeze, point of aim and breathing. The sand bags will help minimize any movement.

It could help to isolate what the issue is, or at least prove to yourself that it's you, not the gun, or vice versa. Most likely, it's a combination of the fat grip and the stiff DA trigger. Do you have the same issue in SA? If that's what it is, you can overcome it, just work on finding a better grip and work on your trigger squeeze.

(Beaver County)

Good news! I took it out shooting today with the 20 round magazine and was perfect. I set up some bottles filled with water (so I knew I hit them) going left to right at about 10 yards and counted 20 holes in the 9 bottles! Much better. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I had a slightly different grip (no more death grip) and apparently a much smoother trigger pull thanks to my snap caps and saw results. Good . . . Good.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Don't get rid of it, try a different stance, try a different hold, try other types of ammo than what your using, it has to be you and not the gun...
    Not really. I had a glock 17, I couldn't hit squat with it. I tried every possible combination of trigger spring and connector that they have including a contraband (at the time) competition connector. Different hold didn't help. Stance didn't help either.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    So aim high & left sound's crude but without adjustable sight's you either aim high & left or sell it or keep practicing till you get it I had the same pistol in stainless about 10 year's ago no rail back then of course but it shot great, dead on but I sold it to a friend, he still has it & it still shoot's great.
    I shot Expert with a worn 1911 in the USMC using that same "Kentucky Windage" technique
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12