Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What NEW gun would you buy solely as an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    If you had $1200 to spend, and all you wanted to do was buy one handgun as an investment, which would it be?

The plan is, buy it, care for it, but never ever shoot it. Keep all the paperwork, etc, so that in 25 years, you sell it for an appreciated value.

What gun would you choose today, for this purpose?

Or is no gun really worth doing that with (i.e. the value of every gun would fall behind inflation - or at least fall far behind other reasonable investment vehicles).

I'm specifying NEW here, because otherwise the answers would be something like "find a gun-hating widow whose husband left behind a... blah blah blah". Well, that's not always possible to do, so we're sticking with brand new guns for this hypothetical.

I have never even though of buying firearm's for an investment, I buy them for the LOVE of firearm's. I have never intended to sell them though I did trade 2 Sig's the 2 below. The top one was used in the movie Broken Arrow starring John Travolta to kill a Senator while he fished...LOL Believe you me that compensator on it really tamed the 45 ACP even though I don't think the recoil is harsh many do so if you want a low recoiled 45 this one's for you not practial for carrying but a great shooter. It's the only Sig I've ever shot that came with a great trigger pull. But that was what it was designed for a target pistol & it's a great one.

SIG-Sauer P220ST pistol - .45 ACP. New model P220 with rails and Hogue Grips

SIG-Sauer P220ST pistol - .45 ACP. rails and Hogue Grips
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 24th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Bucks County)

Agree that you could do better investing elsewhere. But to answer your question I would buy the oldest piece of whatever you can with the thought being that in 25 years in would be rarer to find than a gun built recently. If buying something older I would get close to all parts matching as possible. Think hard to find, excellent condition and something with a story to go with it.

(Montgomery County)

Buy ammo.

I think that will get you a better ROI. Plus, if you ever need to you can shoot it.

Think about it. 5.56 ammo in the 90's was .08 - .10 a round. Now you're looking at .30 - .35 a round. That is a .25 per round increase.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Do not buy gold. Here is a ten year chart of the price of gold:

WHat you should see is that in ten years it has gone up steadily.

Here is a 40 year gold price chart:

Gold prices will dip again, possibly as drastically as they have increased.

I am sure I do not need to post a chart showing housing prices for similar time periods. In short, there is no surefire investment. There are risks to all investments. Firearms are poor investments.

However, if I were to try to find some fun curio to put in my safe for 25 years I would get a Smith and Wesson 327 JM like this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=175824000

I believe a thousand were made in 2005. It may or may not appreciate in value. However, this is pure speculation and subject to "market corrections." Good luck predicting the future.
    if you buy coins, you should know that you usually have to be able to afford to sit on it for a bit as the prices fluctuate daily. tell me why buying gold is such a bad investment when some of the top financial guys have a large portion of their investments in gold and silver?

Peter Schiff
    Ron Paul
    Gerald Celente
    Lew Rockwell

and I can go on and on.

ps- I just bought an ounce of gold tonight.

$1200 ain't much to invest into a gun..I think the best investment with guns in a full auto.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

I would buy a "black" gun. That being said I would buy magazines of high capacity 1200 would have bought you 48 glock 17 rounders that would sell for upwards of 5000 if another brady type of bill hit. When I worked for the evil Gander Mtn while the bill was still on I would buy guns from the store that had a few high cappers. Case in point I bought a g19 a guy brought in with 5-15's 2-17's and a few 10 rounders-- I bought the package for 350 turned and sold 4-15's and the 2-17's at the next show for $85 a piece, that netted $510 played with the gun a while disliked it inmensely so i sold it for $350----- a profit of $510. I did this with success albeit varying degrees on at least 6 other guns too.

(Dauphin County)

I would love an H&K P7M8 or a Colt Delta Cold Cup...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    if you buy coins, you should know that you usually have to be able to afford to sit on it for a bit as the prices fluctuate daily. tell me why buying gold is such a bad investment when some of the top financial guys have a large portion of their investments in gold and silver?
    Peter Schiff
    Ron Paul
    Gerald Celente
    Lew Rockwell
    and I can go on and on.
    ps- I just bought an ounce of gold tonight.
    $1200 ain't much to invest into a gun..I think the best investment with guns in a full auto.

The important question is not what the top guys are investing in but when did they invest. I could tell you to buy tech stocks right now like Microsoft, Apple, Google because I have them in my portfolio. But If I bought my Microsoft shares in 1980, Google shares in 1998, Apple in 1978 or pre-iphone you would not benefit as I have. Increased demand for gold drives the market price up. If you have say 10,000 people listening to you as an authority and you had money to make off an increased demand for gold wouldn't you say to buy gold? Then dump it when the price goes up. I am not aiming to rain on your parade but you just bought gold at the highest price it has ever been. Think about it. Gold is so high right now because China bought it in olympic swimming pool sized quantities when it was $400/oz. Now fear driven demand is driving the price higher. I'm not a betting man but i'd put money on a large influx of gold supply hitting the market soon.

P.S. Id buy FMJ ammo as cheap as possible in 9mm and .45 then trade it for clean drinking water when the world ends. Or i'd buy a female whale and make cheese out of its milk and sell it to the hippies as a panacea at $200 an ounce. I'd make millions considering a whale produces 100s of pounds of milk a day.
    Last edited by Policraticus; June 25th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    The important question is not what the top guys are investing in but when did they invest. I could tell you to buy tech stocks right now like Microsoft, Apple, Google because I have them in my portfolio. But If I bought my Microsoft shares in 1980, Google shares in 1998, Apple in 1978 or pre-iphone you would not benefit as I have. Increased demand for gold drives the market price up. If you have say 10,000 people listening to you as an authority and you had money to make off an increased demand for gold wouldn't you say to buy gold? Then dump it when the price goes up. I am not aiming to rain on your parade but you just bought gold at the highest price it has ever been. Think about it. Gold is so high right now because China bought it in olympic swimming pool sized quantities when it was $400/oz. Now fear driven demand is driving the price higher. I'm not a betting man but i'd put money on a large influx of gold supply hitting the market soon.

P.S. Id buy FMJ ammo as cheap as possible in 9mm and .45 then trade it for clean drinking water when the world ends. Or i'd buy a female whale and make cheese out of its milk and sell it to the hippies as a panacea at $200 an ounce. I'd make millions considering a whale produces 100s of pounds of milk a day.
    I understand that..I generally don't buy gold because it's more expensive than I'd like to spend, but the ladies Dad was tight on cash and he gave it to me for a good price considering what it's going for at melt. I generally buy silver.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Buy ammo.

I think that will get you a better ROI. Plus, if you ever need to you can shoot it.

Think about it. 5.56 ammo in the 90's was .08 - .10 a round. Now you're looking at .30 - .35 a round. That is a .25 per round increase.
    ^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    Or i'd buy a female whale and make cheese out of its milk and sell it to the hippies as a panacea at $200 an ounce. I'd make millions considering a whale produces 100s of pounds of milk a day.
    I'd like to see your milking stool.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast