Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Cutting down 870 barrel?

Indeed; buy yourself an SD barrel and keep the hunting barrel. Hell, see if someone will trade you one for the other even... If you cut that barrel, say goodbye to any resale value on that gun... until you replace the barrel of course. Just consider that if you are trying to sell the gun, you're likely not going to have cash on hand for a new barrel!
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Delaware County)

Bah! There isn't any resale value to lose in an old 870. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the barrel at 18.5 inches from the breechface (with the action closed) to use as a guide. Saw off close to the tape. Use a mill file to smooth and square the cut. Polish the crown with a bit of 320 paper and apply some cold blue.

Make damn sure you have your measurements right. Leave that extra half inch just in case the police use a crappy tape measure. Make sure no one cut the stock down. OAL after the barrel is shortened has to be 26 inches minimum.

I heard it can have extremely negative affects on the pattern. Is it possible to have it modified to accept chokes?

It will have some negative effects on the pattern if not done properly. When Charlie and Joe get out the hacksaw or tube cutter to cut down a shotgun barrel clamped down in a vise negative effects are inevitable. imashooter2's method is doable but easy to screw up. If you are concerned with using it for SD don't worry about a choke.

Go to a smith and see how much to cut the barrel and install a bead or sights (I don't think anyone remembered the bead or sight). Compare this to what a new barrel will cost and make your decision.

(Delaware County)

This isn't rocket science. You need to cut off a tube square and make the end smooth. That's it. A 'smith that does the job won't do anything different than that.

Now installing a bead on a plain barrel, I agree that is a chore that takes skill and tools to do right. If it has a vent rib, there are sights available aftermarket that just clamp on.

(Montgomery County)

This will probably be my only shotgun and will probably keep it for a very very long time. I don't hunt, so having a 28" barrel just doesn't seem to be practical.

I will see how much it is to cut down the barrel and have a bead/hi-vis sight tapped for the barrel. If I can find a decent deal, I'll chop it. If its going to cost the same as a new barrel, then I may as well try to sell the 28" for what ever I can and put the profits towards a new barrel.

Thanks for the assist!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mumit View Post
    Indeed; buy yourself an SD barrel and keep the hunting barrel. Hell, see if someone will trade you one for the other even... If you cut that barrel, say goodbye to any resale value on that gun... until you replace the barrel of course. Just consider that if you are trying to sell the gun, you're likely not going to have cash on hand for a new barrel!
    in my recent experience people are paying more for chopped barrel guns than for hunting length, assuming they are both beaters.

as for method, a tubing cutter used gently is best option, and will yield rabbit killing patterns at 25 yards with #7 1/2, shoot slugs well, and keep buckshot on a pie plate at 10 yards, which is a long shot for in home use. jug choking with a cylinder hone and an electric drill will cut pattern size in half and make the gun useful on small game, in general. tubing cutter and cylinder hone cost a total of about 12 bucks.

at the ranges considered, a front sight is not needed, but a brass pan head screw and appropriate drill and tap cost a total of about 5 bucks at the local hardware store. then there are the high visibility light gathering tube types that are rediculously overpriced at gun stores and can be super glued on.

I had a Remington 1100 full rib barrel cut down to 18.5, pro-ported and cut for Screw in chokes. Added a 8 shot tube extension and night sights along with action job and a few more goodies and it is pretty awesome. I can run 8 out the barrel before the first hull hits the ground. See the model 18-8 here:
    http://www.laroccagunworks.com/shotgun.shtml

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    I had a Remington 1100 full rib barrel cut down to 18.5, pro-ported and cut for Screw in chokes. Added a 8 shot tube extension and night sights along with action job and a few more goodies and it is pretty awesome. I can run 8 out the barrel before the first hull hits the ground. See the model 18-8 here:
    http://www.laroccagunworks.com/shotgun.shtml
    Funny that you mentioned a cut down 1100. I've been looking at 1100 and 11-87 and was doing research on having barrels cut down for them as well.

Did they do any gas port work to cycle the action more reliably? Do you have issues with lighter loads?

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Funny that you mentioned a cut down 1100. I've been looking at 1100 and 11-87 and was doing research on having barrels cut down for them as well.

Did they do any gas port work to cycle the action more reliably? Do you have issues with lighter loads?
    I had it pro ported as well having choke tubes installed and I don't use light loads. This gun has as close to 100% reliability as any gun.

(Monroe County)

Remington Country Store has / had a sale on shotgun barrels. The 18.5 inch police barrels with rifle sights are/were $105 using a readily available discount coupon. The 20 inch barrel in the same configuration is around $87. Shipping via UPS is FREE . . . Best deal around!

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com...px?catalogid=1
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; July 13th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast