Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Question Is this normal for a Glock?

I bought my first gun 6 weeks ago. A Glock 19. I have put a total of about 1,000 rounds through it thus far. I clean it after every range trip so it has been cleaned about 6 or 7 times thus far.

Today while at the range I loaded a magazine with 6 rounds, and inserted it into the gun as I normally do. The slide dropped and chambered a round. I soon found that by applying a little extra "oomph" when inserting the magazine, this could be done consistently.

My only question is, is this a normal thing for a Glock to do? Can it cause damage? It never did it up until today.

I kind of like it.
    Last edited by Avi90; June 23rd, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is this normal for a Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi90 View Post
    I bought my first gun 6 weeks ago. A Glock 19. I have put a total of about 1,000 rounds through it thus far. I clean it after every range trip so it has been cleaned about 6 or 7 times thus far.

Today while at the range I loaded a magazine with 6 rounds, and inserted it into the gun as I normally do. The slide dropped and chambered a round. I soon found that by applying a little extra "oomph" when inserting the magazine, this could be done consistently.

My only question is, is this a normal thing for a Glock to do? It never did it up until today.

I kind of like it.
    Good question, because I've had it happen as well. But, I've had it happen with a SIG and my CZ as well.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

It happens. In a tactical situation, it can be a good thing. You can't depend on it to happen when you want it to, though.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(York County)

Yup, bonus speed reload.

I take it you are using the slide lock to release the slide when you reload?

After a while I have heard it wears down from doing that and this is what causes it to release from the force of slamming the mag in. Could be wrong tho.

(Bucks County)

It happens everytime i stick the 31 rd glock mags in. Thats what u need next if u own a g19. I have about 6..

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    Yup, bonus speed reload.

I take it you are using the slide lock to release the slide when you reload?

After a while I have heard it wears down from doing that and this is what causes it to release from the force of slamming the mag in. Could be wrong tho.
    I was doing that for the first 500-600 rounds or so but then learned that wasn't the proper way to do it so I stopped.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Avi90 View Post
    I was doing that for the first 500-600 rounds or so but then learned that wasn't the proper way to do it so I stopped.
    it is debatable what the "proper" way to drop the slide is.

the fastest shooters in the world use the slide stop to drop it.

there is, however, the argument that it is easier to screw up using the slide stop under stress, so it is better to overhand it.

as mentioned above, many types of guns will sometimes drop the slide if you really slam the mag home. many people consider it a bonus if you get a gun that will do it regularly.

btw, you do not need to clean your glock after every range trip. you certainly can if you want to, but glocks only really need to be cleaned about, oh, maybe twice in your life...(that's going a bit far, but i routinely go thousands of rounds between cleanings...i once went well over 10,000 rounds between cleanings with no issues at all. many other "torture tests" have been done with glocks that confirm they really don't actually need to be cleaned very often at all...though cleaning them every now and then is probably a good idea.)

make sure you do not get *any* lube in the striker channel...it will cause dirt to get stuck in there and slow the striker down and can lead to light strikes--which means "click" when you want BANG!
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Regarding the fact that this occurs after hundreds of rounds....

I JUST today got myself a brand new Glock 19 (Olive Drab... *drool*). I put maybe 20-30 rounds through it all day. The third magazine I put in, I added a little extra oomph and the slide released along with it. I used to assume this was because of normal wear, but now I believe it's not the case.

(Delaware County)

Yeah, it's normal. I can get it to regularly occur in my 17, 19, and 26.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    Yeah, it's normal. I can get it to regularly occur in my 17, 19, and 26.
    9mm Glock trifecta eh? I like it. I'm thinking about doing it with XDs.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast