Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: !!!! I SAW A PANTHER TODAY WHILE HUNTING DEER !!!!

Well, the neighbor says it was larger than a housecat. I don't know. I do know that a few minutes ago I saw a house cat, (big, but definitely a house cat) in my back yard, same coloring. Didn't have the "big cat" look that the other one has, but who knows. It skedaddled when it saw me. Could be the same animal. If I see it again, I'll try for pics.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    I notice you didnt answer my questions about where the pics are of this cougar that "THEY" took away, Heck you didnt even answer who "They" were.
    And I wont, because you know exactly "what" I'm talking about, as well as "who"... (BTW, this was on a farm, before the camera phone influx, and people normally didn't carry around digital cameras)

To answer your question, I have no pics. Next time, when I see one, I guess I'll risk my hunting future and shoot it and take some pics before they come pick it up...

Also, I'm sure the coyote population got completely out of control overnight. It's magic...

ETA: You know what.. you're right. I have no proof, and until then, I(we) will assume it was a rather large house cat, taken away by dressed-up Mexicans.. It's all speculation though as of right now...
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; June 25th, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
    III%

(Lackawanna County)

Afrattner you had a rifle and you both ran?

Just kidding, looking at the size compared to the greybeard and his dirt bike I would have nearly knocked my friend down to get out of there.

Ive hunted deer before here but I stalk them because if I sit down I fall asleep. So since Im such a silent woodsman (hyuck hyuck) I have shot hundreds of huge racked monsters

Maybe around that countryside I could actually get a few. No bag limits, sounds amazing. I dont think all the rest of the kicking, biting, stinging, and spitting sounds like its worth it though. That pig was huge, could grind my bones for bread. Fe Fi Fo Fum!
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
    There are no mountain lions in PA either.
    My neighbor took this picture a couple days ago just a mile or two from us.....
    thats a house cat haha

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    NO, they came with the circus and you yanks during WW2 lol (FACT)
    you guys were in WW2? never noticed haha

(Northampton County)

Dude, that's a kitty cat. I'm feeling that thing where somebody else steps in it but I'm somehow embarrassed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    And I wont, because you know exactly "what" I'm talking about, as well as "who"...
    Did "They," umm...probe you? Was one of "them" named Kyle? Because I've heard about that guy...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    While a mountain lion is de facto a protected species according to PA's game laws, I will gladly pay the fine, lose my hunting privileges, and have to re-take a hunter safety course to nail a mountain lion... lol I would drive it around town on the roof of my truck shooting video the whole time... lol

-Chaz
    Apparently someone thought I was being serious in this post... I was joking... Now back to the regularly scheduled program... lol

Could there be mountain lions in Australia? Sure, why not! Would i want to tangle with one anywhere? HELLZ NO!!! lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Chester County)

im with you chaz on taking the risk of baggin a mt lion.....

and i alwasy thought the PGC were in the middle between MIB and CIA...cool enough to make people dissapear, but not cool enough to use the cricket gun. :P
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by afrattner View Post
    Is it just me or is that a scary big ass pig. I can't believe no one mentioned it. I don't even think old yeller would f%$k with that thing.

Maybe no one mentioned it because it's been around for awhile. I never saw it.

Giant Feral Pig Photograph
    Summary:
    Photograph shows a very large feral pig that has been captured and killed somewhere in Australia (Full commentary below.)

Real Photograph - Descriptions may be inaccurate.

Example: (Submitted August 2006)

Subject: FW: Don't worry about the crocs ...

Believe it - or Not

Pig that was caught 300km south of Katherine NT.
    They only caught it because it was eating their dogs!

Commentary:
    This photograph of an extremely large feral pig is circulating via email and the Internet. The image shows the pig after it has been caught and killed by an unidentified hunter. Like similar photographs of unusually large catches, people from different areas are apparently declaring regional "ownership" of the monster pig. The email example shown here claims that the pig was captured south of Katherine in the Northern Territory. Other examples claim the capture occurred near Wee Waa in New South Wales or "somewhere in Queensland".

According to an article in the January 2007 issue of Sporting Shooter, however, the boar was shot on a cattle station in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The article notes that the giant was first spotted during a helicopter muster on the station. During a subsequent windmill run, the station owner came across the pig and shot it. The last of the available film in the camera was used to capture the one and only photograph of the beast. The scales used to weigh the animal had a maximum capacity of 200 kg (440 lb). However, the station owner estimated that the pig weighed around 220kg (485 lb) dressed. Sporting Shooter estimates the live weight of the boar would have been more than 300kg (660 lb). Although the region where this giant was shot is quite arid, wild pigs in the area are known to grow unusually large.

There are also reports from other regions of wild pigs reaching gigantic proportions. An article about wild boar on Wikipedia claims that adult males have been known to reach 1.8 m (6 feet) in length and weigh up to 300 kg (660 lb). In New Zealand, wild pigs are regularly caught that weigh over 200 kg. (440 lb)

As a species, pigs can certainly grow to enormous sizes, although the real whoppers are generally raised domestically. According to the Alberta Pork Congress website, the largest pig ever was an animal named "Big Bill" who was 1.52 m (5 feet) high and 2.74 m (9 feet) long. However, other unsubstantiated reports note that a 900 kg (1984 lb) pig in China may have been a serious contender for heavyweight pig champion of the world.

In Australia, feral pigs are a serious environmental and agricultural pest. Wild pigs destroy the natural habitats of native species, destroy crops and spread noxious weeds. Current wild pig populations originated from domestic pigs that escaped from 19th century European settlements. It is estimated that there are between 13 and 23 million feral pigs spread across large areas of the Australian continent.

The photograph may remind movie fans of the 1984 horror flick, Razorback in which a giant wild pig terrorizes an Australian outback community. In 2004, another wild pig dubbed "Hogzilla" gained posthumous celebrity status when its photograph began circulating online. The original stories about Hogzilla may have been exaggerated. Nonetheless, subsequent examination of the pig's carcass by a National Geographic team revealed that Hogzilla was around 2.28 meters (7.5 feet) in length and weighed around 362 kilos (800 lb).

Australia's version of "Hogzilla" was reportedly turned into sausages although the skull and tusks were kept for posterity.

Reference:
    Sporting Shooter, January 2007, p.12, Yaffa Publishing, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010, Australia. Commentary:
    This photograph of an extremely large feral pig is circulating via email and the Internet. The image shows the pig after it has been caught and killed by an unidentified hunter. Like similar photographs of unusually large catches, people from different areas are apparently declaring regional "ownership" of the monster pig. The email example shown here claims that the pig was captured south of Katherine in the Northern Territory. Other examples claim the capture occurred near Wee Waa in New South Wales or "somewhere in Queensland".

According to an article in the January 2007 issue of Sporting Shooter, however, the boar was shot on a cattle station in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The article notes that the giant was first spotted during a helicopter muster on the station. During a subsequent windmill run, the station owner came across the pig and shot it. The last of the available film in the camera was used to capture the one and only photograph of the beast. The scales used to weigh the animal had a maximum capacity of 200 kg (440 lb). However, the station owner estimated that the pig weighed around 220kg (485 lb) dressed. Sporting Shooter estimates the live weight of the boar would have been more than 300kg (660 lb). Although the region where this giant was shot is quite arid, wild pigs in the area are known to grow unusually large.

There are also reports from other regions of wild pigs reaching gigantic proportions. An article about wild boar on Wikipedia claims that adult males have been known to reach 1.8 m (6 feet) in length and weigh up to 300 kg (660 lb). In New Zealand, wild pigs are regularly caught that weigh over 200 kg. (440 lb)

As a species, pigs can certainly grow to enormous sizes, although the real whoppers are generally raised domestically. According to the Alberta Pork Congress website, the largest pig ever was an animal named "Big Bill" who was 1.52 m (5 feet) high and 2.74 m (9 feet) long. However, other unsubstantiated reports note that a 900 kg (1984 lb) pig in China may have been a serious contender for heavyweight pig champion of the world.

In Australia, feral pigs are a serious environmental and agricultural pest. Wild pigs destroy the natural habitats of native species, destroy crops and spread noxious weeds. Current wild pig populations originated from domestic pigs that escaped from 19th century European settlements. It is estimated that there are between 13 and 23 million feral pigs spread across large areas of the Australian continent.

The photograph may remind movie fans of the 1984 horror flick, Razorback in which a giant wild pig terrorizes an Australian outback community. In 2004, another wild pig dubbed "Hogzilla" gained posthumous celebrity status when its photograph began circulating online. The original stories about Hogzilla may have been exaggerated. Nonetheless, subsequent examination of the pig's carcass by a National Geographic team revealed that Hogzilla was around 2.28 meters (7.5 feet) in length and weighed around 362 kilos (800 lb).

Australia's version of "Hogzilla" was reportedly turned into sausages although the skull and tusks were kept for posterity.

Reference:
    Sporting Shooter, January 2007, p.12, Yaffa Publishing, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010, Australia.
    http://www.hoax-slayer.com/giant-feral-pig.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast