Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Holmesburg Fish and Game...a good place to shoot ??

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has any good or bad experience with Holmesburg Fish and Game ?

I started out shooting at Classic Pistol which is a nice range....just not that great for rifle. I've been going to Wicen's in Jamison, PA which is a great range just that they don't have a membership and it's a pretty far drive for me.

I shot at Holmesburg when I was a kid, there Junior shoot night's, but don't really remember much about the place honestly. I know it's $100 for the year, there hours seem to be really good also. I saw someone mention that there is a mag restriction there...5 rounds max and slow shooting IIRC....??? That sounds kind of lame but as close as I am to there it would be nice because I would get to shoot a LOT more than I do now ya know.

I just need somewhere close I can go to and pratice my accuracy and stuff, nothing fancy. Would be great if there's some PAFOA members that go there, maybe meet up sometime and shoot.

Any help is appreciated, thanks, PhilaShooter
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Holmesburg Fish and Game...a good place to shoot ??

I WAS a member there till recently, what a waste of money i didnt even go once last year, way to many restrictions, a bunch of snobby old elitist farts in my opinion, heaven forbid they catch you with a concealed weapon, your out and banned, dont shoot more than 5 out of yer siz shooter or your out, no more than one round at a time in your rifle or your out (how the hell do you single shot a garand), wait is that a holster on your hip "YOURE OUTTA HERE" NO CONCEALED CARRY AT ALL EVEN WITH A LTCF, ONLY ONES THAT CAN CARRY ARE ON/OFF DUTY COPS THATS IT total bullshit i wasted my money, feel free to waste yours...
    The 357 magnum, enough said......

(Bucks County)

Most ranges have some restrictions. The rules are needed to avoid an accident or incident at all costs. I was at a range recently ( as a guest) were there were appartently no rules. Very loose organization. Felt very unsafe there. I am an NRA certified RO. When I saw an unsafe situation I brought it to the attention of the member(s) in a friendly sort of way. Basically I was told to mind my own business. I packed up my gear and will never return to that hole-in-the-wall range. Oh, and yes you can load a Garand singlely. We load single rounds for the slow fire segments of a CMP at my home range. Funny, no one complains. I do not belong to Holmsburg either. I have shot there and feel very safe knowing that most fools are weeded out. ( Just like at any good responsible range.)

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Philadelphia County)

Just joined and went through the orientation yesterday. Went over all the rule and regs . Yes there are a lot of them but if you can deal with the mag limits and no carrywhile on property its fine . I will just keep my pistol case on my front seat and place my pistol inside when I park . Overall I really like the place its a 100 yrd range in the city 5 minutes from my front door so no complaints here . I want to learn how to shoot trap and skeet but I only have a pump action shotgun so that will have to do. Plus hopefully ill meet some people who also shoot at langhorne so I can get in there . The proficency test was easy . 10 rnds on paper from 50 feet not a problem

(Philadelphia County)

Well I have to say I love this place. Other than having to chase deer off of the range at dusk I haven't had any issues. In the past 3 weeks I have been there at least 3 times a week . I haven't had any problems at all . Out of 9 times I only had one range officer come over just to compliment my rifle . The rifle range seems to always be empty so its like having my own personel range. No regrets
    IANAL

I like it, but only for target shooting. don't expect to draw or double tap. i use the rifle range to sight in. the pistol range is 25yrds. for 100bucks, an outdoor range in the city is great.

yes some folks there sucks, I was accused of shooting 7rds last time i was there. when there were more then just me shooting, and my ammo box clear shows 5rd missing per line.

i haven't witness any thing dangerous by other shooters

homlesburg, good for a few hr of slow fire fun, sighting in, testing loads.
    i go to other places for defense type training.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WHEELGUN357 View Post
    I WAS a member there till recently, what a waste of money i didnt even go once last year, way to many restrictions, a bunch of snobby old elitist farts in my opinion, heaven forbid they catch you with a concealed weapon, your out and banned, dont shoot more than 5 out of yer siz shooter or your out, no more than one round at a time in your rifle or your out (how the hell do you single shot a garand), wait is that a holster on your hip "YOURE OUTTA HERE" NO CONCEALED CARRY AT ALL EVEN WITH A LTCF, ONLY ONES THAT CAN CARRY ARE ON/OFF DUTY COPS THATS IT total bullshit i wasted my money, feel free to waste yours...
    +1

The place is a sad excuse of a gun range.

It's more like a club. And unless your a 65+ year old retired cop, YOUR NOT IN THE CLUB.

I drive 10+miles to other ranges like Pistol People and Classic Pistol because I refuse to go back to this place.

(Bucks County)

Having never visited, much less shot, at Holmesburg I can not argue the range rules. However, Garands can be loaded and shot singlely quite easily. Single shot load is pretty much the standard way to shoot a Garand in the slow fire stages. Even done at Perry.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    I like it, but only for target shooting. don't expect to draw or double tap. i use the rifle range to sight in. the pistol range is 25yrds. for 100bucks, an outdoor range in the city is great.

yes some folks there sucks, I was accused of shooting 7rds last time i was there. when there were more then just me shooting, and my ammo box clear shows 5rd missing per line.

i haven't witness any thing dangerous by other shooters

homlesburg, good for a few hr of slow fire fun, sighting in, testing loads.
    i go to other places for defense type training.
    Having never been to any other clubs I feel I am missing out where can I go to do defensive training . Preferably outdoors
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    Having never been to any other clubs I feel I am missing out where can I go to do defensive training . Preferably outdoors
    NJ. that's where i go.
    nj legal mags, check
    nj legal ar, check
    lockable ammo box, check
    extra locks for guns, check

gased up, seat belt, no phone use while driving at speed limit and pray you don't get pulled over.

double check range bag to make sure there's no mags over 15rd each time i go.

last week we did, from 25yrd, draw, fire 1 shot to 3/4 sized ipda steel to warm up, then we did worked on triple tapping ar from 25yrds to 4 idpa targets, 3 head, 3 body. with mag swap in bwt each target, then we transition to our pistol and while moving forward 5 rds into steel, slide lock reload, now moving lateral, 2 shots on each of the 4 targets.

sometimes we do a idpa's cof, but instead of stage 1, 2, 3, 4, we just combine them.

recently some range rule got changed, like we can no longer drive our trucks onto the range, so no more shooting and driving j/k but can no longer shoot under, over them, or out of them.

good times.

i really wish there was a range near philly that allowed shooting and moving. I get an uneasy feeling driving in nj with or without my guns.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast