Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Holmesburg Fish and Game...a good place to shoot ??

i used to shoot trap here when i was younger... looking for a range with some variety and the price (currently they appear to be waiving initiation fee) seems reasonable.

any updates on opinions about the facility?

worth joining?

(Montgomery County)

I was a member there a few years back. Safety rules are one thing but they go out of their way to make you feel unwelcome.

Try shooting a 22lr Marlin, 1 round at a time.

The pistol; range is 25 yds.... only 25 yards. you can't shoot any closer. At one point they started to allow 1 or 2 lanes to set up a target at about 16 yds, but it was a special target that was suspended from the overhead beams and was always locked up in the shed. The few times i tried to use it, I was pretty much told, sorry. can't get into the shed.

I eventually let my membership expire.

(Delaware County)

I am not familiar with this range, but I am familiar with the mindset. Someone mentioned about the elderly members in that club that apparently control policy.

Well, the old timers don't last forever and as they die off the policies will change. Delco. Field and Stream was a club such as you describe. 25 yd minimum for handgun, single shot for rifles, nasty range mothers, and a laundry list of other rules that would make a monastery look like a frat house.

The club still has many rules, including my pet peeve, no humanoid paper silhouette targets. But compared to what it was, the club is quite bearable.
    Last edited by c45man; March 11th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for the replies, i'll have to find some time to go and check it out...

Hello, as of 1/1/14 I am the president of Holmesburg Fish & game. I have reviewed the comments on this site and fine it unfortunate that there are so many negative reviews. I would like to address these. Yes there are rules. Some have recently changed. The single round rule on the rifle range has been changed to a max of 5 rounds same as the pistol ranges. Keep in mind we are located on some of the most populated ground on the planet. We simply can't permit spray and pray the way some have seen in videos on YouTube. Yes we require a 2.5 - 3 hour orientation. This introduces new members to the way we conduct business. Hopefully this helps new members feel more comfortable during their initial visits to our ranges. We have also recently replaced the folks managing our shotgun operation with friendlier more accommodating individuals. For those who have had a negative experience, all I can ask is that you give us a second chance. If you have issues you would like to discuss please contact me directly at jmgaynor@att.net. P.S. we have been busy upgrading many of the facilities at the club in the past year. The 'run down' feel of the place is a thing of the past.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMGaynor View Post
    Hello, as of 1/1/14 I am the president of Holmesburg Fish & game. I have reviewed the comments on this site and fine it unfortunate that there are so many negative reviews. I would like to address these. Yes there are rules. Some have recently changed. The single round rule on the rifle range has been changed to a max of 5 rounds same as the pistol ranges. Keep in mind we are located on some of the most populated ground on the planet. We simply can't permit spray and pray the way some have seen in videos on YouTube. Yes we require a 2.5 - 3 hour orientation. This introduces new members to the way we conduct business. Hopefully this helps new members feel more comfortable during their initial visits to our ranges. We have also recently replaced the folks managing our shotgun operation with friendlier more accommodating individuals. For those who have had a negative experience, all I can ask is that you give us a second chance. If you have issues you would like to discuss please contact me directly at jmgaynor@att.net. P.S. we have been busy upgrading many of the facilities at the club in the past year. The 'run down' feel of the place is a thing of the past.

I have been to your range. I am sorry you became the leader of it. We are shooters not preschoolers. Some train shooting for defense. I never heard of a defensive scenerio at 25 yards and 1 shot at a time. Some train for competition. Your range doesnt allow proper training for this. 3 hour orientation? We do not have this kind of time for someone to tell us how to be safe on a range and to clean up. I have been to your range. It sucks. Everyone knows it sucks and many people will never go back unless you make some serious changes and stop your controlling ways.

(Montgomery County)

Glad to hear it. Maybe I will stop by one day and check it out. What is the policy for prospective members to come see the place? I am always willing to keep an open mind

Can you please esplain some of the new rules at the pistol range?
    Is it still 25 yards only or is there a way to shoot closer in?
    Can you practice more rapid fire such as is required for steel challenge?
    Is it still prohibited to draw from the holster?
    is it still prohibited to carry a concealed firearm while on the club grounds?

Thanks. I look forward to your reply.
    Last edited by Don Quixote; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:28 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

glad i jumped in on this thread... getting interesting now; i very much appreciate mr. gaynor for stopping in on this thread and introducing himself.

i am not here to trash or flame anyone, just looking to learn and share experiences; while i am all about safety as well, i do think some of the concerns raised are valid. i am also curious if they will be subject to change - specifically the range restrictions that prohibit members from training for steel competitions, etc.

IMO if in fact you are retooling the club, consider this idea.

a club such as this one should be rebranding themselves to be the premiere training facility in the phila. area for the training of such competitions. think about it, there is nowhere in the metro-based phila. area that has the grounds to do something like that... your club would be 'the go-to site'.

also IMO any fish and game/ sport club should be promoting such training, rather than prohibiting... on the website, there are competitions winners with trophies featured in pictures, the named competitions are standardized national competitions - surely you can see why people are upset?
    Last edited by bugout; April 4th, 2014 at 08:46 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey how is everyone? Been a while since I've been on here, had some bad luck being out of work for a few years so I had to put a lot on the back burner. Saw this thread I started come back alive so I thought I'd check it out.

Congratulations Mr. Gaynor. Really glad to hear that someone new took it over. Since I've been gone I got my sons into shooting and I went to Holmesburg as a kid, would be great to be able to take them there.

I do wish the handgun range was longer then 25yds, maybe you could look into that?

I do understand you want to have an orientation for new members, to inform them of the way things are ran there, but 3hrs is a bit much IMO. An hour would be adequate enough to go over the rules, show them around and have a conversation with them to make sure they are competent and serious about shooting.

Just a few small suggestions, I'm sure you have a lot on your plate just taking the range over. Making it a more friendly and welcoming place to shoot alone would make it a MUCH better range to go to.

How do you go about joining? I am taking the Hunter Safety course there next weekend, Saturday the 12th I believe. How can I set up an orientation? Also how much does a membership cost right now?

Thanks, PS
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for stopping by.

I am a member at Holmesburg. I will be frank and say that the only reason I joined was because I did not need a sponsor like the other area outdoor clubs. I knew all of the regulations and "personalities" issues before I joined but decided to still give it a shot.

That said, while my experience has been better than I had hoped, I am not sure if I will renew my membership. As of right now, the club is setup for clay sports mainly and everything else seems to get the scraps. What is worse is that some rules / regulations make no common sense other than to serve those in the "in crow". The smoking regulation comes to mind.

I understand that many have been members for many years and have "paid the dues" but the whole vibe in this club make many feel un-welcome...it is worth mentioning that many of the directors and really nice people to talk to...but they seem to cater to the "in crow" and simply find lame excuses to support some of the regulations. BTW, I see nothing wrong with the orientation. So what if it is long...

Things I would like to see changed

-1 round on the rifle range which you said is not 5...why 5? If you don't allow rapid fire what is the point to limit the rounds to 5?

-Have an option for 5 and 10 yards on the pistol range...there are inexpensive and safe ways to do this...shooting at 25 yards is a waste of bullets for me.

-Allow for members to use the indoor range alone...

-More steel shooting options.

-Allow CCW.

Again thanks for looking into these things and let me know if I can do anything to help.

PS. The area in which the range is located is really not that populated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast