Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First real OC

Default First real OC

Prior to turning 21 I OC'ed a little around the neighborhood but since I couldn't even hop on my bicycle without breaking the law my OC walks were few and far between.

Well today I needed to run some errands, and having recently received my Beltman horsehide belt, I decided to strap on the Sig 229 in my Blackhawk holster.

I needed to run to the liquor store and the beer depot. I usually always go to the same stores. The last time I was at the beer depot I wasn't carded and the last 2 times at the liquor store I wasn't carded. Well apparently a gun just screams underage these days because not only was I carded at both stores, I needed to sign those stupid declaration of age things (or whatever they're called).

Both clerks looked down and saw the gun but said nothing about it and continued with what they were doing without interruption so I guess I can't complain.

It was mostly positive stories of non-encounters that helped me build the courage to OC in the first place. So I hope my extremely uneventful story can help encourage others to do the same.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Berks County)

Default Re: First real OC

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Well apparently a gun just screams underage these days because not only was I carded at both stores, I needed to sign those stupid declaration of age things (or whatever they're called).
    What's the deal with those? Does the law require you fill it out, or is that just something they do?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    What's the deal with those? Does the law require you fill it out, or is that just something they do?
    I think it's a PLCB thing. Insurance for the store so that they don't get cited for serving minors. It's a pain in the ass though.

(Monroe County)

Welcome to OC, have some rep.

Well apparently a gun just screams underage these days because not only was I carded at both stores, I needed to sign those stupid declaration of age things (or whatever they're called).
    What's a declaration of age thing? I've never had to sign anything when buying alcohol.

Also, I know of a store near me that cards everyone, even 90-year old guys/gals.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Lycoming County)

Yes it is required, at least the 6-pack stores. If the person recently turned 21 or have an out of state Drivers License they are required to fill out a Declaration of Age card. It is for the store's proof that the person handed them "Valid" proof of age. Insurance purposes so they don't lose their PLCB license.

(Berks County)

I think it's a PLCB thing. Insurance for the store so that they don't get cited for serving minors. It's a pain in the ass though.
    I wonder what happens if you say "No thanks, you fill it out"

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I wonder what happens if you say "No thanks, you fill it out"
    The part I don't understand is that they swipe my ID which automatically fills in everything in the form (name, birth date, etc..). So all I have to do is sign it. Since my ID scanned with all the proper information on it isn't that proof enough that it's real?

(Venango County)

The part I don't understand is that they swipe my ID which automatically fills in everything in the form (name, birth date, etc..). So all I have to do is sign it. Since my ID scanned with all the proper information on it isn't that proof enough that it's real?
    One reason why they do this:

You come in, buy two bottles of vodka, and a pack of gum. An underage party is busted out in the woods a few miles away. Found on them, are two bottles of vodka. They check the local state stores and see who purchased that brand. Lets say two people purchased that brand in the past few days. Both parties are investigated for "contributing to the delinquency of minors". Say these two people are you, and a bar. They go to the bar, find out that the bottle is still there. Go find you, see that it was your little brother that brought the vodka to the party. Guess who is in trouble?

I agree that the whole idea is stupid, and a waste of time. But, no one cares what consumers think.

Congrats on OCing though. It is a liberating experience, isn't it?

(Beaver County)

The thing that annoyes me is when you have been to the same store with the same people a dozen times and they still card you!

Anyway congrats on the OC, Im starting to venture out more myself.

Grats on the OC and the p229 love! Glad everything went smooth, like it should have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast