Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer/Range

(Allegheny County)

Default Dealer/Range

Good afternoon, folks. I've been ghosting for a while, off and on, and my wife and I are planning on making our first handgun purchase sometime in the next few months. We are thinking something in the 9mm variety to start with, possibly Glock or Sig. My question is several parts.

1) I've only been shooting once, quite a few (about 10) years ago. She has never gone shooting. Is there a dealer that has a range where we can try out the guns that we may be considering, and can give basic shooting instructions? I'm in Pittsburgh (Beechview, actually), so south hills area would be ideal, but more than willing to travel.

2) What would be the best suggestion for a "care and feeding of your handgun" type class for us to take, for basic handgun cleaning and maintenance?

3) What would be a decent new/used price for either a Glock 17, Glock 19, or Sig P250 Fullsize or Compact? We are trying to go for an inexpensive model, that works for both of us. This will basically be for home defense (at this point), until we both get more familiar with handguns and proper maintenance, use, etc. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for similar models, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Bryan.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Dealer/Range

Quote Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
    Good afternoon, folks. I've been ghosting for a while, off and on, and my wife and I are planning on making our first handgun purchase sometime in the next few months. We are thinking something in the 9mm variety to start with, possibly Glock or Sig. My question is several parts.

1) I've only been shooting once, quite a few (about 10) years ago. She has never gone shooting. Is there a dealer that has a range where we can try out the guns that we may be considering, and can give basic shooting instructions? I'm in Pittsburgh (Beechview, actually), so south hills area would be ideal, but more than willing to travel.

2) What would be the best suggestion for a "care and feeding of your handgun" type class for us to take, for basic handgun cleaning and maintenance?

3) What would be a decent new/used price for either a Glock 17, Glock 19, or Sig P250 Fullsize or Compact? We are trying to go for an inexpensive model, that works for both of us. This will basically be for home defense (at this point), until we both get more familiar with handguns and proper maintenance, use, etc. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for similar models, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Bryan.
    1) It's not a gun shop but go to the Group Shoot at PMSC and shoot all kinds of guns. http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-41-a.html

2) I don't think a class is need for cleaning but for shooting, FIRE Institute has a GREAT one day handgun class.

3) Sorry can't help you there. Don't keep up on Glocks or Sigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Thanks mojo. Won't be able to make this one, as my mother in law will be in town. I have heard, through several sources, that Braverman's in Wilkinsburg has very good customer service and good pricing as well, so I think when it's time to buy, we'll start there.

A police officer friend of ours is going to take us out shooting in a couple of weeks after my MIL leaves, and he uses Glocks, and swears by them.

The only reason I'm looking for a cleaning class is that I have never owned a firearm of any type, and I'm just trying to find out a little bit about cleaning/maintenance and the like.

(Allegheny County)

If you buy a common firearm you can probably find loads of videos on cleaning, maintainence, and dissasembly online. That's what I did when I bought my first.

You just want to make sure you have right equipment to clean with BEFORE you go shooting especially if you buy a used firearm.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    You just want to make sure you have right equipment to clean with BEFORE you go shooting especially if you buy a used firearm.
    And that was the point of my question. I don't know enough about firearms care to know what questions to ask, or what materials I'll need. I've only fired one (put about 200 rounds down range in one afternoon, and didn't do too shabby for being the only time I've ever fired a weapon).

Thanks,
    Bryan.

If you & the wife don't have your Licenses To Carry yet, you might want to start that process

http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html

(Allegheny County)

Probably going to start that process in 2 weeks, when we're both on vacation for a week. Right now we're just considering what would be the best first purchase for us. Trying to do the research and such. I think we've decided either a Glock or a Sig in 9mm, so that we can get used to the recoil, and then possibly move up from there? Eventually we will each have our own, but for now it's all about the learning process. Don't want to be carrying around a .45 with no idea how to use it.

How long does it usually take to get a reply on the LTCF?

(Allegheny County)

And that was the point of my question. I don't know enough about firearms care to know what questions to ask, or what materials I'll need.
    I'm pretty new myself so don't take my word as gold. I'd pick up a cleaning rod (usually about $10), a brush tip for the rod in the caliber of your weapon, a mop tip in the caliber of your weapon and/or a pack of cotton patches again cut for you caliber. Add in a can of GunScrubber and some oil of your choice either the spray kind or the kind in a bottle.

That's my cleaning kit, but like I said I am pretty new to the firearms scene.

(Allegheny County)

Probably going to start that process in 2 weeks, when we're both on vacation for a week. Right now we're just considering what would be the best first purchase for us. Trying to do the research and such. I think we've decided either a Glock or a Sig in 9mm, so that we can get used to the recoil, and then possibly move up from there? Eventually we will each have our own, but for now it's all about the learning process. Don't want to be carrying around a .45 with no idea how to use it.

if your able to make it to a group shoot, you can try my two Sigs in 9mm. one is a Sig P226 and the other is a Sig P239 (my wifes gun).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Folks in Allegheny Co. have reported that it takes up to 4 weeks to get a LTCF there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast