Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Improved Sights/Night Sight on a J Frame?

There is a S&W 642 in my near future and I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion on this. Is it worth putting a night sight on the front? The gun has such a small sight radius, I wonder if its worth it. I'm really not one for laser grips, so that's not really an option, The gun would do double duty as a BUG and as a summer carry/deep concealment option. When it's the only gun I have on me I'd like to have all the options possible.

So what's the story? Anybody do it? Reasons not to do it? And don't tell me that J frame revolvers are strictly belly guns. They can be shot accurately at self defense ranges, it just takes practice. Maybe a laser is my best option. I'd love to hear opinions either way.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Washington County)

Default Re: Improved Sights/Night Sight on a J Frame?

These videos make some good arguments for getting a laser.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Vid...6/Default.aspx

Granted, they are selling them, but I do see the utility now, and for something like a small pistol, they seem to be a great option.

(Montgomery County)

The 642 has fixed sights, some other J frames have pinned on front sights which can be interchanged with tritium night sights. There is a company that drills the fixed sight and installs a tritium vial although the name escapes me at this moment.

Tritium night sights are important on any defensive weapon. It does not matter how long the sight radius is, if you cannot see the front sight you do not know where the point of impact should be.

I do not have tritium sights on my 642, yet. However, I rarely carry it at night for that reason. The 642 is a fantastic defensive revolver, yet the sights do leave much to be desired.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Last edited by CHEMICAL; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The 642 has fixed sights, some other J frames have pinned on front sights which can be interchanged with tritium night sights.
    Right, I assumed some sort of treachery would be involved since the sights are fixed. Is there any validity to the NiteSighters? (I think that's what they're called.) Basically paste on photoluminescent dots that have to be charged before they glow. They are a cost effective option, but they don't glow on their own and I would be suspect of their durability.

I agree that nightsights are a very important consideration on any defensive handgun.

(Monroe County)

I love my 642, but it has been relegated to pocket carry when I can't OC and left as a tertiary home defense weapon.

I really, really wish it had some sights, but to get a j-frame with sights you're looking at dropping big money. Money that's not worth it IMO just for sights. The crimson trace is something I may consider now actually.

Anyone try using that glow paint on your j-frame sights?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Anyone try using that glow paint on your j-frame sights?
    Either that or Nightsighters has a strip kit your could place on the front blade. I don't know if you'd be able to outline the back or not.
    Edit: It appears you *could* make that work. It would be a poor substitute for real night sights but considering the cost and effort involved perhaps a good alternative. Some very precise cutting would need to be done to get the rear to work.
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Addition

(Monroe County)

(Pike County)

I painted the front sight with bright orange nail polish. Easy to put on and easy to take off. Lasts a long time.

(Berks County)

i also had the same issue with my 642. I ended up just putting nail polish on the front sight and bought the smaller crimson trace grips. Money well spent in my opinion. I practice with the laser on and off at the range to give me options. I also like dry firing the gun with the laser because it shows me exactly where im hitting and how i need to adjust my grip/finger pull to keep the laser from bouncing. If you really want a good sight up front your better off just buying the m&p 340 with the xs big dot. By the time you machine a dovetail in the 642 and add the sight you'll be at the same price as the m&p 340. Buds gun shop has them for $723 shipped. One other option is to buy the 642 with the 2.5" barrel. this comes with a pinned front sight. See my attached pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast