Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Bad encounter made good...

So, I normally cc, simply because I already look strange enough to attract negative attention, and I'd prefer to avoid the MWAG calls at all cost. Today, I'm getting ready to go out and I say to myself, I sez--"Self, it's pretty damn hot outside and you really don't feel like sweating into the iwb holster today, do you?" I of course answered in the negative, so the oc retention holster got the dust blown off of it and strapped on. "Shirts kinda loose, it might cover", I say, "who cares, I've the ltcf in the wallet to prevent any issues with the fuzz." Grabbed the daughter, buckled her in the car seat, and away we went.
    Stopped by the notary/tag service to transfer tags from my Ducati to the sidecar rig...no problems, and old ladies love toddlers.
    Run in the beer store and grab a case of Tsingtao since it's delicious and refreshing on hot days...no problems, no looks...cashier even walks out my beer since I was carrying the daughter.
    Into the local Giant (yeah, I know, playing with fire here) to grab a boneless pork butt and a raw corned beef to toss on the smoker tomorrow...no problems (shocking to me, after the stories I've read here).
    Run into Lowes to grab a couple of 8' flourescent bulbs...no problem. Get to the Cherokee, buckle the daughter into the car seat, and I'm just sliding the light tubes into the back hatch when I hear "Hey Buddy!" Immediately the red alarm light goes on in my head, and the "awwww fuck, what now" voice starts up. Guy crosses the parking lot, headed right for me, and he's big--probably 5-6 inches taller and a good 80lbs heavier..."Hey Buddy, you can't have that thing, it's the law, you can't have a gun in public"--and he seems agitated. The SA ratchets up a notch, I check behind him to see what my line of fire would be in the absolute worst case, as I know there's no way I'm taking this guy with fists and I've got the kid to worry about as well. I turn myself weak side toward him (maybe 40-45 ft away at this point) and reply "yes, I can, PA law says anyone can carry a weapon openly, and people who have a license can carry concealed."
    I'd like to say I did this calmly, but I'm positive there was a squeak...was it my voice or my bowels loosening? I may never know...but this stopped him dead. Maybe it was the logic, maybe it was my "calm" reply in a voice more suited to a pre-pubescent girl, maybe it was the odor of yesterdays chili-cheeseburger wafting across the open parking spaces...either way he stopped. Then his head tilted in that way that a dogs does when it's trying to figure out where that strange sound is coming from..."Really? No shit?"
    I'm still on edge, but I see a window of opportunity--"yeah man, no shit. Pennsylvania doesn't have prohibitive gun laws--if you can legally own one you can carry one openly, and concealed if you have the license".
    Turns out he's a recent Baltimore transplant, and has been conditioned to associate guns with criminals by the Republik of Maryland for the last 30 years. I gave him a flyer out of the glovebox, told him to check out the website, local shops & ranges, and took my leave. Not once did I turn my back on him, as if he was willing to advance on a tattooed, pierced mwag then he couldn't be all there upstairs, but I'd like to think I handled myself as best as could be hoped for.
    And seriously--who the hell advances aggressively on an obviously armed person to tell them they're "wrong"?
    Last edited by '51plymouth; June 21st, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: for the paragraph nazis

(Pike County)

Default Re: Bad encounter made good...

Quote Originally Posted by '51plymouth View Post
    who the hell advances aggressively on an obviously armed person to tell them they're "wrong"?
    Brainwashed recent Baltimore transplants

(York County)

I believe you handled that about as well as anyone could have. Bonus points for having the flyer to hand out. I've been OCing in the neighborhood for a year and a half and I've yet to have a negative encounter. I hope if you continue to OC, your experiences will be as pleasant as mine.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I am one of those Baltimore transplants but one of the reasons I moved to PA (besides the real estate prices) was the gun laws.

Oh, and Roburritos.

(Lancaster County)

"And seriously--who the hell advances aggressively on an obviously armed person to tell them they're "wrong"?"

I am constantly dumbfounded by the apparent majority of people who will say whatever is on their mind the exact moment said thought flitters through their cranium. But that seems to be the prevalent behaviour these days.

Me - I think first.......ponder some more.........and then once I have my thoughts fully cogitated: realize the person has already left and I'm standing there alone looking slightly deranged and definitely suspicious.(g)

I've been OC'ing semi-regularly for the last few months. So far, no one has said a peep. Went into the Home Depot outside Honesdale last week. As I was walking in, it occurred to me that I recall hearing that the founder of HD was on the board of the Brady Campaign or some such thing.....so I was curious to see if my treatment there was any different than normal. The place was fairly empty and the employees were super attentive. Now maybe this was just to get me on my way and out of their store as quickly as possible....or maybe they just have excellent customer service. I dunno.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    "And seriously--who the hell advances aggressively on an obviously armed person to tell them they're "wrong"?"

I am constantly dumbfounded by the apparent majority of people who will say whatever is on their mind the exact moment said thought flitters through their cranium. But that seems to be the prevalent behaviour these days.

Me - I think first.......ponder some more.........and then once I have my thoughts fully cogitated: realize the person has already left and I'm standing there alone looking slightly deranged and definitely suspicious.(g)

I've been OC'ing semi-regularly for the last few months. So far, no one has said a peep. Went into the Home Depot outside Honesdale last week. As I was walking in, it occurred to me that I recall hearing that the founder of HD was on the board of the Brady Campaign or some such thing.....so I was curious to see if my treatment there was any different than normal. The place was fairly empty and the employees were super attentive. Now maybe this was just to get me on my way and out of their store as quickly as possible....or maybe they just have excellent customer service. I dunno.
    I have this problem too... If I could some how install a filter between my brain and mouth... I would have gone a lot further in the military. In fact I am sure I could still help my career...

I obviously am smart enough to analyze the situation, and would not aggressively approach a MWAG...
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Sounds like a good encounter. Good job staying calm and carrying flyers.

--try and use paragraphs next time please, it makes posts easier to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Berks County)

My first thought:

A paragraph (from the Greek paragraphos, "to write beside" or "written beside") is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. Paragraphs consist of one or more sentences. The start of a paragraph is indicated by beginning on a new line. ...
    Now I'll try to decipher it...

Edit: Sounds like you handled it well. +1!
    Last edited by anonymouse; June 21st, 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Pfft "brainwashed", come to ILL ANNOY, I'll show ya what brainwashed it sir! lol
    Good job and thanks for educating him

(Chester County)

Very interesting people out there. Good to see a fellow Jeeper/Biker who carries as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast