Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Hi point pistols

I don’t think you can go to a gun form on-line and not find an argument about Hi point firearms, talk about a love or hate related gun item, I have never owned one, or do not intend on buying one, My complaints with them are purely cosmetic, its just one ugly bulky gun.
    But other than that, are there really any problems with them, in reading these post, the guys that own them, all say they are just as reliable as guns costing 2 and 3 times as much with very few problems.
    If you think about it, the same guys that are dead set against the Hi point for its low price, have no problem buying Lee reloading products.
    And no I do not use Lee reloading products, but basically for the same reason, All that I have seen looked more like toys than tools, but then again the guys that use them swear by them. so is the Hi point really that bad.

Default Re: Hi point pistols

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I don’t think you can go to a gun form on-line and not find an argument about Hi point firearms, talk about a love or hate related gun item, I have never owned one, or do not intend on buying one, My complaints with them are purely cosmetic, its just one ugly bulky gun.
    But other than that, are there really any problems with them, in reading these post, the guys that own them, all say they are just as reliable as guns costing 2 and 3 times as much with very few problems.
    If you think about it, the same guys that are dead set against the Hi point for its low price, have no problem buying Lee reloading products.
    And no I do not use Lee reloading products, but basically for the same reason, All that I have seen looked more like toys than tools, but then again the guys that use them swear by them. so is the Hi point really that bad.

Lee pressed can use almost any kind of dies and the dies are what really makes the ammo precises. And Lees shotgun press is pure bargain once you get the hang of how it works for hundred less. Lee is more comparable with Taurus very function able but not stated of the Arts like Dillions or RCBs.

This is not the case of Hi Point not only look and feel but there is no 3rd party market for this gun. Like you I have a buddy with 2 Hi points a 9mm & 45 acp he sworn by these guns before he upgrade to a 45 acp Taurus Mellineum. Yes a Taurus is an big upgrade from a Hi point he feels this way and he loved his Hi points.

He brought them over for me to examine they felt awkward, cheap, poorly designed, very bulky and clumsy. I didn't even want to shoot them. After getting his Taurus he gave them away to his 22 yr old step son. The carbine has a even bigger following. I can't get into either and I like a bargain but I don't like junk it has to have some look and feel not just go bang.

I don't hate them if I couldn't afford to do better I'd have a Hi point but since I can I'll pass.

(Montgomery County)

I have never handled or shot one but I have heard the same. Lots of people on forums bash them and then owners come in and say they love them and they are very reliable.
    I loved my 1986 Nissan Pulsar back in the day too but if was cheap and I realized it when I got a much higher quality car.

(Venango County)

My first pistol was a C9. Still have it in the safe, take it out shooting occasionally. Only problem I ever had with it seemed to be an issue with the ammo. 2 rounds didn't eject properly, and they did the same thing in a kel tec. Broke out a different box of ammo, and she worked fine.

Is the C9 in my safe ugly? Yes. Is it heavy? Quite so. Does it reliably shoot for me? Yep, always has. That being said, it is not my carry piece. But, it still has a place on my shelf as a good handgun for the money.

(Monroe County)

Let me preface my comments by saying I have handled them and shot them.

They shoot reasonably well. I have seen some that digest anything, and some that were finicky for ammo.

They are not ergonomic. That is not a cosmetic issue to me. The bore axis sits too high in my opinion and produces more muzzle flip than some other designs.

The trigger is terrible. It works well, but it does nothing to help accuracy. The sights are not horrible.

I would not call them junk, because they do work. If I only had 150$ to spend I guess I would buy one. If I had a bit more I would be looking at Taurus/ rossi revolvers, Bersa/firestorm semiautos, Keltecs, Rock island 1911s or used Glocks.

They are a decent value for the money, but I still would prefer many other guns for a little more.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Westmoreland County)

I am going to disagree with you about the Lee press, I must admit I don’t own one. Never have, I still have my Pacific I bought in 72, I up graded it to the Redding Boss last year. And I have the Hornady LNL auto progressive, I use for most pistol , But like the Hi point the guys that have moved up from the Lee, in most cases will not go back, and there is more to quality ammo than Dies, I don’t think the Lee could have stood up to all the Large rifle Ammo the Pacific did over the years. Run a few 338s threw a Lee and then the Redding and you will see what I mean.
    My Brother had a Lee, He know has the Redding, E-Bay got the Lee,
    It just seems strange that guys will defend all the Plastic, Aluminum, and the cut every corner to save a buck Marketing, Lee uses, But when it comes to the Hi point Most, including myself will not give the Hi point a second look.
    It just seems Hi point is using the same Marketing tactics as Lee, Lee has a Large following, Hi point is kind of the Dirty secret of the Gun world.
    Both make an inexpensive functional product, One is accepted one is not.

horanady wrote - My Brother had a Lee, He now has the Redding, E-Bay got the Lee,

It just seems strange that guys will defend all the Plastic, Aluminum, and the cut every corner to save a buck Marketing, Lee uses, But when it comes to the Hi point Most, including myself will not give the Hi point a second look.
    It just seems Hi point is using the same Marketing tactics as Lee, Lee has a Large following, Hi point is kind of the Dirty secret of the Gun world.
    Both make an inexpensive functional product, One is accepted one is not.

456 - We agree to disagree the difference in Lee and Hi Point is its look and feel that is why I compare the Lee press especially the "O" press with Taurus it looks and feel almost like any heavy duty "O" press and would probably handle many 300win or 338 cartridge well. Like most "O" design press much like the egg it can handle far more pressure then most designs it has many upgrades and functions to make it a progressive press if you want. Taurus has made a business of looking like popular design pistols and revolvers some even say that PT99-101 Beretta Clones are better then the original but money doesn't say that Beretta still cost more and are more refined. So is the Taurus and the Lee equipment. I know lawyers who started with Lee and still uses Lee press (maybe Rcbs dies). just like I know people who up grade from the bulky designed Hi point to a Taurus semi and feel they will nevr go back and don't need to ever upgrade espeicailly the PT99 fans (they get the adj sights & SS for less the $ of a Standard 92). Hi points has its fan base the carbine seem to hold its base better then the pistols.

Like I stated I've held the Hi point in 9mm & 45acp its nothing like holding a Beretta Storm PX4 or FNN Browning Hi power you can't wait to cap off a box of ammo with these two. The Hi point if I couldn't afford adequate protection and the choice was a Hi point over a knife, I'd take the Hi point due to its ability o handle range better then a knife.

We agree to DISAGREE on the Lee equipment, Dillion is better but so what an O press is basically a O press.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 21st, 2010 at 04:13 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

I own my share of hi-points. They are a decent, reliable gun, and that's all they are.

Out of the box, the trigger does suck; only because they aren't consistent when new. One pull might take 4½ pounds, and another might take 11 pounds.

After a few hundred rounds, the trigger settles right down, at about 4½-5 pounds.

The sights are actually excellent, nice and bright reds at the back, and yellow up front. The rear is fully adjustable for distance and windage. The barrel is fixed, so follow up shots are a little easier than a floating barrel.

The .380s don't like SWC ammo, mainly because they use the same magazines as the 9mm, and the semiwads don't always bridge the gap between the mag lips and the ramp.

Hell, I have an extra CF-380 with the chrome strip that I should put up in the classifieds; I don't need three, and somebody can get a decent range tool for cheap.

Oh, and don't forget: if you ever run out of ammo, you can BEAT the bad guy to death with it!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Schuylkill County)

I don't own a hi-point pistol, but I do own a hi-point carbine in 9mm. I think most of the bashing is from people who have never really owned or shot them. My carbine has been totally fantastic and shoots everything I feed it. It's accurate to 100+ yards and I would use it in a second in a home defense situation. Just because some of the hi-points are pleasing to the eye, A lot of people bash them.

(Allegheny County)

My experiences with Hi-Point extend to shooting someone elses. The guy owned two. He owned two so he could carry two, one on each side. He shot both at the same time very often. All of that aside, neither of them would run for us when they were out, and there were examples of nearly every type of malfunction each trip. My sampling of two tells me not to get them. The example I saw agrees with lots of internet babble. Function comes before ergonomics, and in this case, I wont even get into how the guns feel.

The carbine is known to be pretty good, just not the prettiest thing out there.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast