Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Luger Question

(Berks County)

Default Luger Question

I know a few different manufacturers made them. But did ANY of them NOT mark their name or a date on the top of the Luger?

I'm looking at one, POSSIBLE re-blue job, but not certain. If re-blued, it was done a LONG time ago. There are numbers on the sides, but no discernible Nazi stamps (I don't think, no eagle and swastika in any case), POSSIBLE Imperial German markings towards the front on the side, but again, their is no manufacturer mark (DWM, Mauser, etc) or date on the top of the gun.

I don't have pics. One of the numbers was "41." I also noted no import codes, like "CAI," on it. I could also find no caliber markings.

Thanks for any input!

Chris

(Blair County)

Default Re: Luger Question

Try this website for additional info:
    http://www.lugerforum.com/

(Berks County)

Jim, thanks, I joined that forum an hour or so after I posted my question. I think it's going to have all the info I need!

crlovel,

That's a Great site Jim recommended, they will be able to answers your questions. I have a 1942 Mauser with all matching parts and of course the infamous German proof markings, it's a shame these things can't talk.

I'm not up to speed on Luger's, But I know on mine, every part is stamped with the last two digits of the serial number, and I do mean 'Every' part. It was also common practice to stamp the same numbers on the inside of the grips, But I think they stopped that sometime after WWI - They are definitely a piece of History as Adolf stopped making them awhile back, But they can be particular about the ammo they will eat, so be prepared to try many different brands/weights until you find one it likes.

If your magazine matches the serial number on the gun, that's a super big bonus, as most won't.

Good Luck

~ TJB
    Recoil Happens