Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Few Questions about Concealed/Open Carry

Hi, I've been doing research into open carry laws and there are a few things that I have not been able to find. I figured that I would ask here, since there are people who are very familiar with the laws. My questions are

1. Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle without an LTCF? Let's just say that you are walking down the street (not on Philadelphia, since I know for sure that you need an LTCF) and you have a loaded rifle slung around your shoulder. Is that legal? Or does Pennsylvania permit open carry only for handguns?

2. Does a bicycle count as a "vehicle" with respect to carry laws? Can you legally open carry and ride a bike (w/o an LTCF)? Or do you have to have an LTCF in order to open carry and go for a bike ride at the same time?

3. Is it legal to do concealed carry on your own private property without an LTCF? I know that you need an LTCF for concealed carry out in the open. But can you legally conceal carry on your land w/o having to get an LTCF?

4. Can 18 year olds legally open carry pistols that were gifted to them? I'm pretty sure this one is a yes, but I just want to double check.

This is all I want to know. I greatly appreciate any help I get. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Few Questions about Concealed/Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    Hi, I've been doing research into open carry laws and there are a few things that I have not been able to find. I figured that I would ask here, since there are people who are very familiar with the laws. My questions are

1. Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle without an LTCF? Let's just say that you are walking down the street (not on Philadelphia, since I know for sure that you need an LTCF) and you have a loaded rifle slung around your shoulder. Is that legal? Or does Pennsylvania permit open carry only for handguns?
    Yes, but why? LTCF applies to firearms....

2. Does a bicycle count as a "vehicle" with respect to carry laws? Can you legally open carry and ride a bike (w/o an LTCF)? Or do you have to have an LTCF in order to open carry and go for a bike ride at the same time?

3. Is it legal to do concealed carry on your own private property without an LTCF? I know that you need an LTCF for concealed carry out in the open. But can you legally conceal carry on your land w/o having to get an LTCF?

No, only IN your abode.......

4. Can 18 year olds legally open carry pistols that were gifted to them? I'm pretty sure this one is a yes, but I just want to double check.

Yes, on foot, only....

This is all I want to know. I greatly appreciate any help I get. Thanks in advance.
    My responses, in Blue....

As far as #2 is concerned I believe it does count as a vehicle therefore a LTCF would be needed. Perhaps another member could confirm?
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

as always, specific legal questions about LTCF or OC or CC should be posted in the "Concealed and open carry" section.

this sticky is found there

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    as always, specific legal questions about LTCF or OC or CC should be posted in the "Concealed and open carry" section.

this sticky is found there

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    this should probably be moved then..it could be useful for someone else with similar questions.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Monroe County)

My answers in BOLD

Im not sure about this one. I will say that doing so if it IS in fact legal, COULD draw some pretty bad and unwanted attention from LE, but thats just my opinion

YES a bicycle counts as a vehicle due to the fact that a vehicle is defined (Ill paraphrase this one) as a conveyance upon which a person rides/operates. So no, you may NOT open carry while on a bicycle without an LTCF

No. You can only carry concealed INSIDE your abode or FIXED PLACE OF BUSINESS without an LTCF

Yes, but they can only carry on foot and are not able to carry in a city of the first class (Philadelphia)
    I suggest as others have, to check out the sticky on this subject.

As far as the gun laws go, you'd be OK. But depending on the circumstances, it can be considered illegal hunting.

Sec. 2301. Prima facie evidence of hunting.

(a) General rule. - For the purpose of this title, any one of the following acts shall constitute prima facie evidence of hunting:

(1) Possession of any firearm, bow and arrow, raptor, trap or other device of any description usable for the purpose of hunting or taking game or wildlife.

(2) Possession of the carcass or any part or parts of any game or wildlife.

(3) Pursuing game or wildlife in any manner prohibited by this title or commission regulation.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    YES a bicycle counts as a vehicle due to the fact that a vehicle is defined (Ill paraphrase this one) as a conveyance upon which a person rides/operates. So no, you may NOT open carry while on a bicycle without an LTCF
    Perhaps there is caselaw on this that interprets the law one way or another, but I would take issue with the semantic interpretation.

First, as far as I could find through a quick search through the code, the term "vehicle" is not actually defined in the UFA.

Second, and more importantly, the code says that you may not carry a loaded firearm "IN" a vehicle. It is not possible to get INTO a bicycle, or a motorcycle for that matter. Considering the fact that the "purpose" for the restriction is likely to be similar to the restriction on concealed carry (i.e. someone decided it's generally "bad" for people to have non-visible firearms within arms reach while out in public), this actually makes a lot of sense.

But, as I said, why hang your hat on semantics when you can get an LTCF so easily?
    Last edited by rikilii; June 21st, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Perhaps there is caselaw on this that interprets the law one way or another, but I would take issue with the semantic interpretation.

First, as far as I could find through a quick search through the code, the term "vehicle" is not actually defined in the UFA.

Second, and more importantly, the code says that you may not carry a loaded firearm "IN" a vehicle. It is not possible to get INTO a bicycle, or a motorcycle for that matter. Considering the fact that the "purpose" for the restriction is likely to be similar to the restriction on concealed carry (i.e. someone decided it's generally "bad" for people to have non-visible firearms within arms reach while out in public), this actually makes a lot of sense.

But, as I said, why hang your hat on semantics when you can get an LTCF so easily?
    Your correct that there is no case law, at least that I'm aware of.

The definition for the UFA is found in:
    1 Pa.C.S.A. § 1991
    "Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.
    The issue on 'in' has been argued in many previous threads. Again there nothing dispositive for lack of case law but the final forum concensus seems to be that the 'in' includes open vehicles such as motorcycles or bikes.
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

in the state of pa, anything in wich you must operate is considered a vehicle. skateboard, horse or lawn mower, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast