Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Range near Washington County Fairgrounds?

Anyone know what the range next to the Washington County Fairgrounds is called or how to contact them?

Had a number of rounds from there put into a campground (shotgun), hitting a number of campers, tents, and even a person.

I went and spoke to the people shooting (politely) and temporarily resolved the danger, but would like to talk to the folks running it before this kind of thing gets out of hand.

I've tried to find the name online, but if someone could help me contact them, I'd appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range near Washington County Fairgrounds?

Quote Originally Posted by PreserveandProtect View Post
    Anyone know what the range next to the Washington County Fairgrounds is called or how to contact them?

Had a number of rounds from there put into a campground (shotgun), hitting a number of campers, tents, and even a person.

I went and spoke to the people shooting (politely) and temporarily resolved the danger, but would like to talk to the folks running it before this kind of thing gets out of hand.

I've tried to find the name online, but if someone could help me contact them, I'd appreciate it.
    Let me research this. there's a thread about this club and I considered checking it out. I'll try to get back ASAP

EDit It's Washington Sportsmen's Association and there was a thread which listed a phone #. Thread was in Jan of this yr.

Not enough time to research further now. I'll check back tomorrow and do more if no additional info comes up.

This looks like it from the map:

Washington Sportsman's

2087 N. Main St.
    Arden, PA 15347
    (412) 222-0651

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks, I'll contact them.

(Allegheny County)

Where are the campgrounds that would be getting a pellet shower from Washington Sportsmen?
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Where are the campgrounds that would be getting a pellet shower from Washington Sportsmen?
    Click on the map linked in Hiredgoons page. then click to see terrain. at the end of the skeet field you will notice in the wooded area campsites and trails.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Westmoreland County)

Here is a google maps pic showing the range with the green arrow, and I've marked the campgrounds on it.

The range is on top of a hill, the campgrounds about 2/3 down the hill.

I walked the guys over to the edge of the hill and showed them the campers, tents, kids, etc.

I told them I didn't mind if they shot all day long, just asked if they could shoot the other direction. They were polite and cooperative, as was I.

I think the campground is only used during certain fairground activites, and one of the fellows mentioned the range is normally closed during fairs and such.

But for some reason that didn't work this time

I was thinking maybe a range "conditions flag" would be in order. Green for okay to shoot, red if not (nearby events).

If it is like most ranges, members have keys. One group may leave and another comes later, not knowing why the first group left.

Just thinking out loud. I'm sure they must have a method, or would want to implement one.

Most things can be solved with a bit of courtesy and common sense

ETA: New pic, had campgrounds too far NW...
    Last edited by PreserveandProtect; June 21st, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Click on the map linked in Hiredgoons page. then click to see terrain. at the end of the skeet field you will notice in the wooded area campsites and trails.
    The "trailers" you see in the google maps image are truck trailers and containers in storage (not sure who or why).

Where I've marked the campgrounds box has a faint line in the middle, being a dirt "road" dividing the sites. There are also double sites on the NE of the box, with the hard road dividing the sites.

These are sites complete with 30 amp electric, water hookups, and sewage. I'd guess about 80 sites, but that's a guess.

(I've tried the number but haven't gotten through yet)

(Allegheny County)

I think the campground is only used during certain fairground activites, and one of the fellows mentioned the range is normally closed during fairs and such.
    That makes sense since the white building to the right of the area you marked as campgrounds is a fair barn. It sounds like someone forgot to tell the club that the fair grounds was having an activity that involved camper in that area.

The "trailers" you see in the google maps image are truck trailers and containers in storage (not sure who or why)
    Those might be part of the landfill operation that is there as well.
    Last edited by 41 Redhawk; June 21st, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
    The Lord Bless You

(Westmoreland County)

It sounds like someone forgot to tell the club that the fair grounds was having an activity that involved camper in that area.
    That sounds plausible and similar to what the gents at the range said.

The "problem" comes in that I found out after I went up to the range I found out about the same thing happening earlier in the day when a person was hit and a bunch of stuff (told to me by the person who got hit) that ended in the first shooters leaving the range.

Again, I can see the problem being the next group came in after that, who obviously never got the message from earlier that day.

Lots more confirmed and first hand info, so no mistake here and don't want to rile everyone up. Would rather help these guys get a good safety plan in place and avoid future incidents.

It can't be that difficult

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast