Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Back in the land of freedom!

I just got home after spending the last four days in hostile territory - travel through NY and into CT for a national symposium related to my profession. It was a very interesting time. I was working as the "booth babe" for a machinery manufacturer, since I own and use one of his machines. My profession is a mix of art and craft, hobbyist and professional, and there are a lot of left leaning liberal thinkers in the mix of people who attend these things. Some of them can get pretty wacky.

I have been very vocal about my gun rights in my occupation, to the point where I have videos on You Tube of me working while carrying openly, and have carried openly at a previous symposium, as well as in front of many of my students. I was gratified to hear many of the comments directed to me while at the symposium. My demos were such that anyone in the crowd can just walk up to me and start up a conversation. I got a number of

"thanks for standing up for our gun rights"

one, "I didn't recognize you without your gun on" (a joke from a NJ guy who went to dinner with me while I was OC at the last event)

and several questions on carry laws in various states. Even some of the most liberal people I know were very matter of fact about my carrying, without being judgmental or denigrating. One lady, a self described peacenik engaged me in a detailed discussion of telescopic sights and lenses on cameras, one of her side interests (the cameras, not the sights).

CT is a state where it is not impossible to get a permit, but it is cost prohibitive for someone like me who only goes there once in a great while, and then usually just passing through on my way to MA. One other thing I saw in my travels was a gun shop in Whethersfield. They had a big neon sign that proclaimed, GUNS FOR THE GOOD GUYS! I did not have opportunity to stop and photograph it. CT drivers are some of the rudest and riskiest people on the planet. I was not going to risk my life for a picture.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Back in the land of freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    ...I was working as the "booth babe" for a machinery manufacturer, since I own and use one of his machines...
    Pennsy, having attended MANY trade shows and symposia in my career and having seen a few pics of you, I must take issue with you characterizing yourself as a "booth babe". There is NO citation anywhere (that I can find), in any set of statutes, that would support such a claim - for shame!

However, as to the rest of your post, nice precis of the events of your trip and I am glad you made it through the bad nether-lands en route and returned home safely!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Back in the land of freedom!

My parents lived in CT for nearly 20 years, retiring to FL in 1999.

Back then, the deal was that as soon as you got your pistol "permit" (yes, it did say "permit" on it), it automatically doubled as a concealed carry license.

My parents both had one.

Not sure how things up there are nowadays....

(Monroe County)

Welcome back Pennsy. Glad to hear you got good reviews/comments about your videos and you in general.

(Berks County)

Have you ever tried wearing an empty holster as a way of protest in those states?