Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Smith and Wesson Revolver Extractor question?

I am working on a Smith and Wesson 1937 Brazilian contract revolver (basically just a model 1917) that I picked up recently knowing it needed some work.

The timing is the first thing which I am working on. It appears to me that the hand is okay but the ratchet on the extractor is worn. Where might I obtain an old style ratchet (right handed threads) and/or an old style hand? I'd like to work with new (aftermarket expected) parts, but I haven't seen anything.

Is it possible to convert the to the new style left handed thread extractors? What would be needed to do this?

The gun is already a Frankenstein so I am not terribly worried about originality.

While on the subject, I don't suppose there is a way to convert the old style hammer block to something more modern? I am not holding my breath on this one.

-Zach

(York County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Revolver Extractor question?

you need a Smith smith. these guns are in need of hand fitting in replacement of parts. an amateur can run thru a lot of replacement parts trying to fix timing issues on a smith. a pro can have it repaired in 2 hours.

(Bucks County)

Sure. But we all have to learn some place and I bought this gun specifically for that since it was cheap enough and already not factory.

Before I get the dangerous if done incorrectly speech, I will just say I am confident in my work and have the patience of a saint with this sort of thing. I just don't have access to the replacement parts I need and would prefer to get something that needs fitting instead of something that needs to be completely worked to fit.

I appreciate the response. And from what I understand Smith and Wesson will not work on revolvers older than a certain date and I'm pretty sure a 1938 revolver falls into that.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Hit up brownells for the tools you will need to take down the revolver.

This shoud include a special wrench to take of the cylinder star. They also have a tool to take out the block that sets the trigger. You can take it out by hand but putting it back is a nightmare...lol

As far as the parts either numrich or sarco or brownells will have the parts you are looking for.

I dont think converting them over will work, but a call to the folks at brownells will confirm or deny this.

go slow take your time and have fun. smith revolvers are a joy to work on. not so much with colts...
    gotta love her ;)

(Bucks County)

I am able to take down the revolver already and have a couple of times.

None of those sites have the parts I need (although I had never heard of Sarco before - cool site).

I'm starting to consider peening the extractor star (which is REALLY not my preferred course of action).

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Hit up brownells for the tools you will need to take down the revolver.

This shoud include a special wrench to take of the cylinder star. They also have a tool to take out the block that sets the trigger. You can take it out by hand but putting it back is a nightmare...lol

As far as the parts either numrich or sarco or brownells will have the parts you are looking for.

I dont think converting them over will work, but a call to the folks at brownells will confirm or deny this.

go slow take your time and have fun. smith revolvers are a joy to work on. not so much with colts...

(Berks County)

Hit this link or call them and see if they have the parts you need

they show parts for the Smith 1917

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-...a_gunparts.cgi
    gotta love her ;)

(Bucks County)

Thank you!! I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I've ordered from Poppert's before for a colt hammer.

I will give them a call tomorrow I think.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Hit this link or call them and see if they have the parts you need

they show parts for the Smith 1917

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-...a_gunparts.cgi