Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default SHooting my Heritage rough rider

I got a 22lr/wmr on auction arms a few weeks ago. took about 3 weeks to actually get because of work and the FFL holders other work(Steve Ebersole-great guy if you need a transfer) to complete the transfer. Due to unforseen circumstances, I finally had a chance to get to the range today with it. First time I have been able to shoot in almost 9 years actually(kids and family). Was just what I was looking for in a handgun, inexpensive all around. Got a ruger GP100 in layaway but that's another love affair entirely.

Decided I would make the first shots with WMR ammo. I will admit to having very limited handgun experience (a couple rentals was it till this gun). I found the trigger to be a smooth break and crisp; meaning it wasn't apparent the hammer was going to fall when I was really concentrating on the target. Let's just say that I am sure the gun is much more accurate than me, not a single bullseye.

One guy at the range asked if he could shoot it; I said be my guest. Said it has a very nice feel and balance.

Only shooting at 15yards. I did keep all shots on paper but most were low and scattered. I attribute that to my own lack of experience and possibly anticipating recoil pushing the muzzle down. I am sure I will better with practice.

Shot about 100 rounds or so of Long rifle and magnums.

I would say if you are looking at a rough rider go for it. Inexpensive perfect first single action revolver to start learning handgunning with in my opinion.

(York County)

Default Re: SHooting my Heritage rough rider

Thunderwolf,

I too have a Rough Rider (mine is in .32 Mag). I'll agree that the gun's are generally okay, but they are rough looking.

Did you get one with an alloy frame, or a steel one? I wouldn't touch the alloy, just because the finish wears off pretty quick and they are ugly when worn.

If I had to go spend my money all over again, I wouldn't get one though. I just think the fit and finish is so cheap, and if I'd been patient I could have waited for a used .22 SA (there are many different models) that had a steel frame and much better finish.

Ecclectic Collector

(Juniata County)

I have the 6.5 inch barrel 22/22mag version. It's a nice little revolver for some cheap plinking (with 22LR). At 15 yards or less, I'll keep all the shots easily within a 2 inch circle. At 25 yards, It's more like a four to six inch circle.

I like my adjustable sights and the way the tru-glow front sight jumps out at me. The trigger is crisp and breaks easily. For the money I paid, I'm happy with it. This gun is not, however, a "bullseye" match pistol by any means. I got it for a cheap plinker that I could use to shoot at tree rats with and to let my boys shoot. My 3.5 year old is already shooting it (with a little help.)

Good luck and enjoy. I've put three to four thousand rounds through it without any issues yet.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Thunderwolf,

I too have a Rough Rider (mine is in .32 Mag). I'll agree that the gun's are generally okay, but they are rough looking.

Did you get one with an alloy frame, or a steel one? I wouldn't touch the alloy, just because the finish wears off pretty quick and they are ugly when worn.

If I had to go spend my money all over again, I wouldn't get one though. I just think the fit and finish is so cheap, and if I'd been patient I could have waited for a used .22 SA (there are many different models) that had a steel frame and much better finish.

Ecclectic Collector
    Steel frame with adjustable sight. Overall, I'm happy with it for the money I paid. Only wanted something cheap to shoot.

(York County)

Greetings, fellow Shrewsburian! I've also used Steve for transfers, and he really is a nice guy, affordable and easy to deal with. Have fun with the pistol, and shoot safely.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mslatter View Post
    Greetings, fellow Shrewsburian! I've also used Steve for transfers, and he really is a nice guy, affordable and easy to deal with. Have fun with the pistol, and shoot safely.

I shoot out at Jefferson Sportsman Club.

Steve actually did the transfer during the week in the morning for me.

(Cumberland County)

Good pick up. They're a good gun for cheap plinking. They are also GREAT for introducing new shooters to guns.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Good pick up. They're a good gun for cheap plinking. They are also GREAT for introducing new shooters to guns.
    Thinking when he gets used to shooting his new rossi combo gun I'll introduce the boy to handgunning with it.

(Allegheny County)

I've had one for about 3 years now and while I don't take it out as often as the others, I still enjoy shooting it whenever I get a chance. I've never had a problem with mine and don't regret the purchase for a min. They are great plinkers for a really good price.

Congrats on your new purchase. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine :-)