Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Left or right hand AR?

I shoot lefty, but I am torn between a stag left or right hand. any suggestions? Thanks...

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Left or right hand AR?

Hey I am a lefty also. I originally was going to buy an AR in righty format myself, I put the money down and everything. After thinking about it for a couple days and researching the AR a little more I decided to go with the lefty instead.

I have been an AK guy for years now and they never bothered me ejecting from the right but with the AR it's a little diffrent IMO. The case ejects further back so it's closer to your face, not by much but a little.

Also it's really nice to have the spent case eject from the left no where near your line of sight...at least IMO anyway.

They were the 2 big reasons I went with a lefty. Not to mention I got the rifle at a really good deal and from the research I did and the people I asked on here Stag is a top notch company.

Another big selling point for me was Stag chambers there barrels in 5.56 NOT .223. Although .223 can be shot out of a 5.56 chambered barrel, 5.56 can NOT be shot out of a .223 barrel from what I was told. So this way you can use either caliber since they are slightly diffrent if you get a 5.56 chambered barrel.

I say go with the lefty...it's worth it IMO

Just my $.02 cents hope this helps
    Last edited by PhilaShooter; June 19th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Montgomery County)

I too, have gone the lefty route. I bought my (believe to be 4th rifle, cant remember) from Stag and love it. I havent had any problems with it; however, I did notice a slight break in procedure needed to be done on their Gas Piston models to be fully functional.
    Both 8L setups I purchased would fire in single shot for 30-50rds until it actually freed up.
    My last purchase from them was my 8L upper (11.5in barrel). I had the same issue, but I love it!

I'm not telling you what to do, but I know you'll be happy either way.

Also, if you need to call and talk to John. I found him to be the most helpful and friendlyist when talking to customer service, he's helped me on several different occasions. 1-860-229-9994

(Northampton County)

You will never get hit by a shell firing left handed, even with an A1 without the brass deflector, on the range.

If you are shooting from very contorted positions around corners, etc. you might. In other words, if the rifle is not properly shouldered and you have your face where it should not be with the rifle pointing where you can't even aim. The A2 does away with that. At that point, you will suffer the same with either ejection side.

All controls are available for both sides with after market parts with a mil-spec AR, no need for a lefty.

(Washington County)

There are also the options of either the new Keltec PLR rifle in 308 that ejects forward, and all controls are ambidexterous and takes metric FAL mags, or the FS2000 from FN, which takes normal AR mags and also ejects forward.

Both a little unconventional, but allow you to shoot and control the rifle from either side.

(Washington County)

Very good points! Also do you guys know if the lower receivers are the same for left and right handed? I'm pretty sure they are I just want to make sure.

(Luzerne County)

You will never get hit by a shell firing left handed, even with an A1 without the brass deflector, on the range.
    Horse biscuits!!

I have shot an A1 sans deflector and have had hot brass up my sleeve.

I still shoot a right handed AR left handed, by choice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    Very good points! Also do you guys know if the lower receivers are the same for left and right handed? I'm pretty sure they are I just want to make sure.
    No difference, but you'd give someone at a shop a good laugh if you asked for a lefty.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    Horse biscuits!!

I have shot an A1 sans deflector and have had hot brass up my sleeve.

I still shoot a right handed AR left handed, by choice.
    I agree, my son's a lefty and wound up with an imprint of the back of a shell casing burned into his cheek for a few days. So the deflector needs to deflect a little better. I bought him a Stag LH upper so this wouldn't be a problem.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

If you are shooting from very contorted positions around corners, etc. you might. In other words, if the rifle is not properly shouldered and you have your face where it should not be with the rifle pointing where you can't even aim. The A2 does away with that. At that point, you will suffer the same with either ejection side.

All controls are available for both sides with after market parts with a mil-spec AR, no need for a lefty.

That is incorrect, as others have said they have been hit or know someone who has been hit shooting a righty left handed.

Also the AR ejects further back than the AK, so even if you don't get hit when shooting a righty left handed the brass is ejecting much closer to your face and can become an annoyance IMO because from my experiences it makes you flinch when it's that close to your face and your not used to it.

Once you get accustomed to it I'm sure it's not bad but you can still get hit with the brass so why not go with a lefty if your left handed....makes sense to me anyway.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast