Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Buddy shot and killed a "Mason Dixon" coyote

Well I know where to trap this season! This location has been having coyote sightings for the last 3 years or so, and now someone actually shot one.

In MD, coyotes are year round but outside of the trapping season, you can only hunt them by the daylight hunting rules ( 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset), which are stupid rules btw. Anyhow he did follow the regulations.

He was doing work around his house which is waaay off the road and surrounded by farm fields and some deep woods, and it was getting near sunset. He starts hearing this barking sound that he said sounded a little like a fox bark, but deeper toned, and this lead him to believe it was a coyote. So he finished up, changed into some camo, got a diaphragm rabbit in distress call and stuck it in his mouth, and grabbed his .22 mag rifle. He set up above where he had heard the sounds and started to be a dying bunny. Sure enough something is coming in and he can clearly see it isn't a fox, but def looks like a coyote. He said it was just running straight in so he picked some fur and fired at it. Sounds like he hit the neck and wacked the spine, as the animal just dropped, but he said it was still alive. Not sure why he didn't just shoot it again ( I mean does .22 mag cost that much? This guy can be a cheapwad). He ended up standing on the chest like is done with a trapped fox to finish it off.

I went and looked at it today and I'd say a low 30 something pounder male. My buddy cut the head off and is going to let nature clean the skull on top of some roof ( again being a cheap bastard- I charge 20.00 to clean a coyote skull professionally).

He told me the farmer across the road has been hearing the weird bark sounds and howl yips type stuff, so I suspect there is a small pack. I hope one is left for me to trap come nov! I've yet to trap a coyote. No doubt pesky red foxes will clog my traps up, and a few may be torn up in the trap. Being torn up is a good sign though- this is something coyotes do, so the chances of snagging a yote go up %wise. It would be a feel-good coyote catch all around, since the farm is a dairy farm. Nobody wants coyotes messing with calves. Yes I have trapped foxes at this farm for some years. Highest counts were 2 years with 19 foxes each.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Buddy shot and killed a "Mason Dixon" coyote

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    ....This guy can be a cheapwad). He ended up standing on the chest like is done with a trapped fox to finish it off...
    That's one of the most horrible things I've heard. I'm not in your business, and don't know how things go. I don't have any reservations about killing animals for any good reason, even in unpleasant ways when the situation dictates it. But I'm not fond of the idea of suffocating an animal by constriction when you have a rifle and there is no urgency.

ahhh, would standing on the chest of a dying enemy soldier be bad too???

Just wondering????

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    ahhh, would standing on the chest of a dying enemy soldier be bad too???

Just wondering????
    I think your foot would collapse your enemies chest cavity and fall out of his ass. Just sayin' yah big lug.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Thinking on this more, I'm going to have a little talk with him about this not shooting it twice stuff. In fact this guy has a habit of carrying a p3at in his pocket at home, and he no doubt went off hunting with it still there ( legal to use a semi auto to hunt in MD AND CC or OC while engaged in hunting/trapping). One close up shot through the lungs would have done the job and he could still have the skull.

I will comment on the chest compression method on foxes. I always knock the fox out first. It does not take long to kill a fox by standing on the lungs. They are not that big of an animal and are a bit delicate. I would not do this with coyotes, nor raccoons and possums. I may be bringing my XD9 with me when I set my little coyote trapline. I'm worried a .22 may take too long to kill it if it hits the lungs. I'd feel stupid shooting a bunch of .22's into it's chest. If I got it in the heart, one would suffice, but I cannot say that I'd hit it on the first shot. No head shots, I want the skulls.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Lackawanna County)

I got a few questions for ya coyote...

How do you knock out of coyote? lol

what is trapping

what do you do with the yote? eat it? or?

whats so special about them on the mason dixson line? because you find them or do they have some other signifcant reason

(Allegheny County)

Are Coyote and Fox something that is typically eaten, or is it more hunting for fur and for fun? Just curious.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

I'llanswer the best I can Mickie.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I got a few questions for ya coyote...

How do you knock out of coyote? lol usually with a tire knocker or baseball bat type object.

what is trapping Google my friend, Google. However, trapping is using a metal device that is spring loaded and catches the prey around the leg(s). It is then caught and when the trapper checks his/her traps, he will find a critter. He then kills the critter and harvests the animal for it fur.

what do you do with the yote? eat it? or? No, no eating yotes, fox, skunk, possum, racoon etc...you are harvesting them strickly for animal population control and or nuisance animals and or for their fur.

whats so special about them on the mason dixson line? because you find them or do they have some other signifcant reason
    Nothing super special except perhaps they have not been previlent in the area till now.

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    Are Coyote and Fox something that is typically eaten, or is it more hunting for fur and for fun? Just curious.
    Fox and Yote are predator animals. As such, they prey on other game animals as well as domestic and farm animals. Most folks do not actively trap or hunt then and they have adapted to human existance very well. As such, they are major reasons why deer herds, wild birds (pheasant, quail, duck, geese) are experiencing low numbers. Some folks who understand this and are dedicated enough to trap do so. A recent study found that a male and female coyote can produce upwards of 20 some new yotes a year. They in turn, reproduce etc....so a pack of yotes in any given area has to be killed off by 2/3 every year to keep that pack in check.

Its not a matter of fun althought trapping is a sport, one that is truly underutilized, I would not call it fun. Ton's and tons' of work involved, techniques, and time. Tremendous amount of time involved.

Again, these animals are not eaten or fit for human consumption.

CL

(York County)

yotes are fit for human consumption. what do you think indians did for 15,000 years with their camp dogs?

speaking as a guy who has lived in asia for 5 years, i can tell you that dog is the "other white meat", and tastes like chicken. actually, it's rather lean, more greyish when boiled or roasted, and not very strongly flavoured. the chinese say it's good for the "man's power", and make a special soup of it in winter time and for weddings.

chinese eat range dogs. koreans eat little dogs. VN eat any dog, and weasels, too. japanese will eat dog, but do not consider it a delicacy like chinese and koreans do. i suppose that thai, cambodian and burmese see the dog in the same light as VN. indians draw the line, but then, most of them are hindi, bhuddist, or muslim, so dog is prohibited by religion.
    Last edited by justashooter; June 20th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Coyotes have been scarce in this area for years, even though they started migrating in 25 years ago. In the world of PA trappers, my area ( including southern York county) is known as one of the last red fox strongholds. The other strongholds still exist in Lancaster , Chester, and Montgomery counties, as well as most of the state of MD, excepting the most western of counties.

There have been more and more coyote sightings, depredations, and incidental catches/hunting opportunities in Harford county MD and in upper York county PA. The coyotes have sure been taking their sweet time getting over my way. A few trappers have snagged some here and there, but I am not counted among that group of trappers.

If the coyotes take a strong hold over this area, the red foxes will all but disapear. Coyotes run them out or kill them. I am also told coyotes will eat the groundhogs, and they too will become scarcer. This is good news for crop farmers, but not for those with livestock and ranging poultry.

Eastern coyotes can and do take down adult whitetail deer, as well as the younger ones. This is also good, as deer are overpopulated in central MD. But if the coyotes decide calves are better, then there is a problem.

This coyote was not totally wasted. I took the claws and the tarsal bones, and the hunter gets the skull and tail. The rest of it was put out into a field for the vultures. I'm not sure about coyote meat, but I have boiled coyote skulls in the past and they smell like beef tongue when it is cooking. Edible and tastier furbearers are muskrats, raccoons, possums, and beavers. In the south, the black folks love to eat raccoon meat, so there is a doable meat market there. Eastern shore of MD, people still eat muskrats. Many trappers all over the country are discovering how good beaver meat is. Possum was an old stand by meat for poor country folks back in the day.

Now I guess if there is a large amount of Chinese and SE Asian immigrants in your area, you could sell them fresh dressed out and skinned fox carcasses. Dog meat would have fat over it though, wild foxes, esp reds, are usually very lean. LOL, in my area, I understand that if you advertise that you have free chickens ( like old hens and roosters), that Mexicans may show up. Now the Aztecs ate small dogs, wonder if fox meat has any following among the really Indian looking Mexicans? Some of the ones I see look like they walked out of pre-1519 Mexico.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast