Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Way to Find Fair Resale Value of Used Pistols?

At the moment, I have my SIG-Sauer P220 on consignment at a local gun shop (not saying where, because it might be inappropriate to "pitch a sale" here). I think my asking price is fair. Their take is 15%, but, they get a tremendous amount of traffic through the store, so there's a good chance it'll sell. Sure, I could post here, arrange a sale/meeting/transfer, etc, but consignment is much easier. I've browsed Gunbroker, just as I'd browse eBay for selling prices before selling something there, and that gives me an idea of what to expect as a fair price. I'm wondering though, is there a "formula" of some sort that's used to approximate the value? A "bluebook" of sorts?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Default Re: Way to Find Fair Resale Value of Used Pistols?

There is actually a book called the Blue Book of Gun Values. The book is $45 so if you want to save some cash or you are only inteested in the one firearm take a trip to B&N and "glance" at it. Most gun shops have it and use it at the counter.
    Last edited by Policraticus; June 19th, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    There is actually a book called the Blue Book of Gun Values.
    There ya go! Thank you!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Good luck on the sale of the Sig. I love my Sigs.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    Good luck on the sale of the Sig. I love my Sigs.
    I have to say that my two SIGs are beautiful pistols. The attention to detail and quality is exceptional. They have certainly earned their reputation and place among the "top shelf" pistol brands. But, in my case, I shoot my Stoeger Cougar (also in .45 ACP) better than the P220. No idea why. That's just the case for me. So, I couldn't see the P220 becoming a "safe queen". It's unlikely I'll part with my P229 Elite (in .40 S&W). It's an exceptional pistol in every way, I do well with it, and heck, every collection needs a SIG-Sauer.

Gun values vary according to the area of the country. I think you already did your homework as far as pricing. If the shop selling it thought the price was too high they would have told you about it. If it was too low they would have bought it from you outright.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    Gun values vary according to the area of the country. I think you already did your homework as far as pricing. If the shop selling it thought the price was too high they would have told you about it. If it was too low they would have bought it from you outright.
    Thanks GRIZ. I went in with a figure in mind, let them evaluate it, and let them do the talking first. They suggested a price $50 higher than I was thinking. We ended up splitting the difference, as there was another P220 in the case w/standard grips, and I had added Equinox grips. So, I think mine is a good deal if someone is shopping for a P220 and compares the two. But yes, I'm sure you're right. They're a great dealer, and I can trust them. So now, it's just a waiting game.

[Edit]: Oh, and I'm sure it'll seem like a stellar move to some, and a stupid move to others, but when it sells, I plan to pick up a Glock 35.
    Last edited by marks; June 19th, 2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added text

(Jefferson County)

Online auctions can be used too to gauge values in a practical manner. I use Gunsamerica.com when I'm in need of a value in short order. ...just match up the condition, then average the prices of similar condition guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Elk County)

A word of caution if using online auction prices to judge fair market value of guns -- make sure you look at the prices of "completed auctions" and not just the asking or starting prices of current auctions. The majority of current auction asking prices have nothing to do with fair market value, and everything to do with eternal optimisim on the parts of the sellers.

Also, the Blue Book is hopelessly out of touch with reality when it comes to specific gun values. There was a time when the BBOGV was "the bible" for gun prices before the internet; there simply was no other reference to check. But the internet and internet gun auctions have provided dealers and private sellers alike with real-time current pricing -- simply do searches for specific guns in "completed" auctions to see what people actually pay, as opposed to the asking price someone would like to get, or the "value" that is based on the opinion of a firearm expert in an annually-updated reference book.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.