Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Motorcycle carrying?

I live in MD, have a FL and VA CCW and plan on riding my motorcycle into PA today. Can I carry my firearm in the tour pack as long as it is holstered and I unload it while in MD and upon my return?

Default Re: Motorcycle carrying?

Since FL and VA have reciprocity with PA, you can carry your handgun any way you'd like while riding in PA. Openly or concealed on your person or in your pack...fully loaded no matter how you carry.

Thank you.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Since FL and VA have reciprocity with PA, you can carry your handgun any way you'd like while riding in PA. Openly or concealed on your person or in your pack...fully loaded no matter how you carry.
    But is he covered under the federal transportation rule if it is in a pouch within arms reach when he's in MD?

I had the pistol in the holster in the locked tour pack and the magazine wrapped in a towel in a locked saddle bag. I did not combine the two until I crossed the MD/PA line and stopped to take off my helmet. On the return trip back into this God forsaken state I separated the two again and locked both the tour pack and saddle bag. I believe this would satisfy any federal regs.

All input is appreciated.
    Thanks

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by FXWG View Post
    I had the pistol in the holster in the locked tour pack and the magazine wrapped in a towel in a locked saddle bag. I did not combine the two until I crossed the MD/PA line and stopped to take off my helmet. On the return trip back into this God forsaken state I separated the two again and locked both the tour pack and saddle bag. I believe this would satisfy any federal regs.
    I agree. My understanding is that here is no "minimum distance" that the firearms must be from anyone, but the firearm does need to be in a locked container in the case of a vehicle that does not have a trunk, which it was.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 20th, 2010 at 06:11 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Washington County)

My understanding of 926A is that you must to be able to 'lawfully possess and carry such firearm' in both the origin and destination state. I do not know much about Maryland's carry laws, but I have heard they are very strict. If he is not legal to carry the firearm in Maryland, then 926A is not going to allow him to circumvent his home state's laws.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    My understanding of 926A is that you must to be able to 'lawfully possess and carry such firearm' in both the origin and destination state. I do not know much about Maryland's carry laws, but I have heard they are very strict. If he is not legal to carry the firearm in Maryland, then 926A is not going to allow him to circumvent his home state's laws.
    Good catch. The question was answered correctly as it applies to the original "during the tour pack" language used, but I did not notice the poster's listed location.

While it would be legal to do as described during the tour (even if you passed through MD twice), if the home origin and final destination of a participant were within the state of MD, there would be no protection (IMO) under federal transport regs.

(Chester County)

As I understand 926A, it only applies to intervening states. Since the origin/destination of the trip is MD/PA then the OP would only be able invoke 926A protection while in a third state (ex: WV or DE). He must follow state law while in MD and while in PA. If his travels involved only MD and PA then 926A protection does not attach during the trip.
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 20th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
    IANAL

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    As I understand 926A, it only applies to intervening states. Since the origin/destination of the trip is MD/PA then the OP would only be able invoke 926A protection while in a third state (ex: WV or DE). He must follow state law while in MD and while in PA. If his travels involved only MD and PA then 926A protection does not attach during the trip.
    It applies to all states during a trip, but one must be able to lawfully possess the firearm in both the origin and destination to be covered. Once that criteria is met, the entire trip is covered under FOPA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast