Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Continued Communication With Bryan Lentz regarding HB 2536

Quote Originally Posted by GL23 View Post

Bryan,
    Don't you think the multiple arrests is too broad a phrase to pass muster? Would multiple arrests constitute 2,3,4, or 5? What about an arrest, ARD, and no conviction? I just can't get past this no conviction denial or revocation. Narrower language is what is needed at this time, not broader. This is solely why we are at this point. Most states have narrow and strict language for denials and revocations and this is why so many who are wrongfully denied or revoked in PA are still eligible elsewhere. Are you aware that PA issues non-resident licenses thru the mail just like Florida, with no fingerprint or training requirement whatsoever? The same process CeaseFire and others loathe, is in place right here in the Commonwealth.

A quick example going back to wrongful revocations. A resident of Franklin County who happens to carry a firearm daily went to vote a couple years ago. A PA constable happened to notice his firearm, and told him he wasn't allowed to have it in a polling place, that it was against the law. The citizen knew better and politely explained to the Constable that he was incorrect and there is no such law in PA.

He voted and then left the polling place. A week or so later the Franklin County Sheriff revoked his LTCF citing the character clause and the likely to act in a dangerous manner language. After hearing his appeal, a Common Pleas judge returned the LTCF. This appeal cost the citizen $2800. Fortunately several websites conducted fund raisers to cover these costs.

How about some language in the bill that makes the issuing authority pay the attorney fees of the citizens for revocations or denials that are overturned on appeal? This would allow attorneys to consider taking such cases on a contingency type of arrangement. If an attorney thinks there is a good chance to win the case, we would see more appeals and truly know who may be revoking or denying without good cause. Language like this could also help reign in issuing authorities who currently revoke or deny illegally.

What's troubling is that most states rely on convictions, not arrests. I am a Utah certified instructor. Utah licensing statutes contain a "moral turpitude" clause. It's an even broader brush than the character clause we have here. From what I know, moral turpitude isn't nearly abused like "character/dangerous manner" is here in PA.

I completely understand what you and your side is trying to accomplish. It's not an issue that can be compromised on in two weeks. Have you, CeaseFire, and police representatives all sat at the table with the NRA or any other groups in an attempt to draft a bill that meets everyones goals? There are many citizens that have issues with parts of the UFA. Perhaps a compromise could be reached if parts of your bill could be included in additional changes to the UFA.
    There should be no compromising with Lentz. He's a tool. Lets defeat his lousy bill, repeal the character clause (or better yet, bring Constitutional carry here to Pennsylvania), and make sure he never gets elected to any office ever again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    There should be no compromising with Lentz. He's a tool. Lets defeat his lousy bill, repeal the character clause (or better yet, bring Constitutional carry here to Pennsylvania), and make sure he never gets elected to any office ever again.
    can't have said better myself.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Soooooooo... Bryan too busy with other things to get back to you?
    Nothing since my last reply.

(Berks County)

You should ask him ( or maybe I should LOL ) what case was he referring to about the man at the airport getting arrested. I never found it and it sounds a little fictional if you ask me.

I could be wrong though.

~K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12