Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Do it your selfers

I see a lot of do it your selfers out there and I think that it is great that you should be maintaining your firearms.But if you are not sure about taking you firearm apart pass the fieldstrip stage for cleaning, you need to seek out the help of someone who is certified to work on that gun by the manufacturer or gunsmith who is knowledgeable with your particular firearm. A mistake in replacing a part or reassembly can and is VERY DANGEROUS
    GUNFIXER199

(Washington County)

Default Re: Do it your selfers

Thank goodness there's youtube! /sarcasm

Last do-it-yourself job I did had the potential to kill/injur someone not knowing what they're doing I guess. Slim chance but still there.

I knocked the rear sight off of my Mosin 91/30 (Tula made) to reveal the 3/8" dovetail rail it was mounted on from the factory and I got some high end rings for the rail so I could mount a long eye relief scope and have a "scout" rifle. Well the darn rail must have been a little undersized because the scope would keep jumping forward no matter how much lock-tight was involved. So the thought of easily TIG welding the steel rings to the steel barrel crossed my mind but then I could just imagine the barrel yielding in the heat affected zone from the welds. What I ended up doing was drilling and tapping holes down through the rings for set screws and grinding flats onto the rail for the set screws to bite. Another place to make an error would be to drill small holes or grind too deep of flats there. So 20 rounds of 7.62x54r later, the scope hadn't budged and now I'm happy.

Just a little story I thought I would throw out there.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; June 18th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lehigh County)

The only evidence I have seen of this is where someone left a boresighting device in the muzzle on the range and shot. Usually the gun simply won't work if not reassembled properly.

It looks like you have a dog in this fight. Is business slow? "Buchanan Gunsmithing 866-562-2520"
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

a lot of it depends on the gun, i think.

if you cannot completely disassemble and reassemble a glock, for example, you should just turn in your man card now.

but, on a serious note, you are correct...if you are not sure, don't do it. the price of a mistake can be high.
    F*S=k

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    if you cannot completely disassemble and reassemble a glock, for example, you should just turn in your man card now.
    A personal gripe I have, due to my place of seasonal employment, I think there are some men who should turn in their man cards because they can't change their windshield wipers, and it is even worse when they don't know what year their car is or what motor it has.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

I'll fix my own, thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    a lot of it depends on the gun, i think.

but, on a serious note, you are correct...if you are not sure, don't do it. the price of a mistake can be high.
    There are far more simple things that people cannot do. I have seen mechanical engineers who did not know how a wrench functioned.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There are far more simple things that people cannot do. I have seen mechanical engineers who did not know how a wrench functioned.
    What kind of wrench

(York County)

I get what your saying OP, but I would rather do things for myself. I realize that there is some risk involved, but for me anyway, I know when I am doing something:

1-trivial
    2-funtion related to the gun
    3-nearing the window of safety margin

I know these things because I dissasemble it so I understand how it works. That way I know that when I radius, or polish "that" surface, that I am not causing damage.

Not to knock you or anything, but at the level of gunsmithing that I am at, I don't know that having a GS do the work is any safer than me doing it. Now if you are talking about trueing up an action or reaming a chamber or something along those lines, that is a different story.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Bucks County)

Left or right handed wrench?

Glass for a ground window?

How about turpentine in a foam cup?

The only things I won't do is make modifications.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast