Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Do it your selfers

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Same chances as finding a lefty holster in stock at a a local gunshop (other than those crappy nylon "ambidetrous" things)....It would be so nice to actually try out a holster before buying
    Poor guy, there's a small shop by me that stocks them (i think i remember the owner being a lefty...as well as a PAFOA member ).

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The GF still cringes when I remind her of the time I was replacing a window, and needed that specialty tool to clean up the excess caulk after I put the bead around the edge. She was halfway out the door to the hardware store to ask for a "caulk sucker" before I stopped her....
    *snert*
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    Poor guy, there's a small shop by me that stocks them (i think i remember the owner being a lefty...as well as a PAFOA member ).

*snert*

Monroe is a long ways away
    Out of 4 shops locally, I found 5 holsters....FIVE....and none of them Glock. One owner did offer to order a few, if I prepaid, and took a 15% restocking fee on the ones I didn't like (since it's "special order")...not. I'll buy them from manufacturer and ebay the damn things before I let a shop profit off me and my "handicap"
    Last edited by MacGyver; August 8th, 2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: My spelin wasnt gud

I love anything mechanical. I take pride in fixing things on my own and figuring out how things work. I've replaced almost everything on my Glock and built my own AR15, ripped apart my autoloader shotguns by just reading and watching videos. I like to know how to fix my own guns in case I'm on a hunting trip or at a pistol match and my gun breaks. A gun smith would be my last resort for something I couldn't figure out or if I wanted something custom done.

I will say that I've met Bill (gunfixer) and he's a good guy. He does do really nice work. I shot a 1911 he worked on and the trigger was amazing and it was super accurate.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Speaking as someone who might occasionally mention that hiring a lawyer is probably a good idea when you really need a lawyer, I will say that hiring a gunsmith when you really need a gunsmith is probably a good idea, too.

It's been said by someone more clever than I, "The Dremel tool has taken more guns out of action than Sarah Brady." Also, "Every Dremel tool might as well come with an Instant Gunsmith Certificate", because that's what a lot of guys think.

Only an expert or an RKI knows the full depth of why Things Are Not As Simple As They Might Appear (or the easily-remembered mnemonic, TANASATMA.) Sure, you can probably swap the grips on your revolver, but maybe you shouldn't "fine tune" the action spring tension while you're there. Swapping out the safety for a drop-in oversized button is probably OK (but Hell, it's the SAFETY, what could possibly go wrong, right?) Dropping the trigger pull of your carry piece down to something best measured in the nanotechnology lab is a bad idea.

Gunsmithing is altering the function of hand-held machines that develop pressures that could blow your face off, send shrapnel into your son's eyes, or unintentionally discharge a projectile in whatever direction the muzzle happens to be pointing when the mechanism fails. These machines are intended to be used while held in your hands, or up against your face. Trial and error will have its drawbacks here, kids.

We are not all capable of being gunsmiths without training as gunsmiths, just as we are not all capable of statutory interpretation based on that community college degree in wine appreciation. I don't do accounting, I don't second-guess professional electricians or plumbers, and I don't fault a gunsmith for pointing out that the home-destroyed abortions that come into his workplace should not have been attempted.

Who knows better the damage caused by amateurs, than someone who fixes the damage caused by amateurs?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I love anything mechanical. I take pride in fixing things on my own and figuring out how things work. I've replaced almost everything on my Glock and built my own AR15, ripped apart my autoloader shotguns by just reading and watching videos. I like to know how to fix my own guns in case I'm on a hunting trip or at a pistol match and my gun breaks. A gun smith would be my last resort for something I couldn't figure out or if I wanted something custom done.
    I have to tend to agree with that. However there is a time for a gunsmith and knowing when that time is.
    If you don't have the spark of intrest to want to learn and take pride in the work you do then you have more disposable money than I do to pay someone.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Speaking as someone who might occasionally mention that hiring a lawyer is probably a good idea when you really need a lawyer, I will say that hiring a gunsmith when you really need a gunsmith is probably a good idea, too.

It's been said by someone more clever than I, "The Dremel tool has taken more guns out of action than Sarah Brady." Also, "Every Dremel tool might as well come with an Instant Gunsmith Certificate", because that's what a lot of guys think.

Only an expert or an RKI knows the full depth of why Things Are Not As Simple As They Might Appear (or the easily-remembered mnemonic, TANASATMA.) Sure, you can probably swap the grips on your revolver, but maybe you shouldn't "fine tune" the action spring tension while you're there. Swapping out the safety for a drop-in oversized button is probably OK (but Hell, it's the SAFETY, what could possibly go wrong, right?) Dropping the trigger pull of your carry piece down to something best measured in the nanotechnology lab is a bad idea.

Gunsmithing is altering the function of hand-held machines that develop pressures that could blow your face off, send shrapnel into your son's eyes, or unintentionally discharge a projectile in whatever direction the muzzle happens to be pointing when the mechanism fails. These machines are intended to be used while held in your hands, or up against your face. Trial and error will have its drawbacks here, kids.

We are not all capable of being gunsmiths without training as gunsmiths, just as we are not all capable of statutory interpretation based on that community college degree in wine appreciation. I don't do accounting, I don't second-guess professional electricians or plumbers, and I don't fault a gunsmith for pointing out that the home-destroyed abortions that come into his workplace should not have been attempted.

Who knows better the damage caused by amateurs, than someone who fixes the damage caused by amateurs?
    LOL!!! How true..If you saw some of the guns I've fixed over the years that were owned by "knowledgable" shooters,you'd be glad most clubs don't allow loaded guns be carried during a match.I just fixed a gun built by a well known area gunsmith,broke my heart to see the lousy work this guy gets BIG bucks for..No,don't ask who he is...

(Somerset County)

It all comes down to knowing your limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I thought they were in the aisle with the blinker fluid?
    You can find the blinker fluid and muffler bearings on this website, along with other hard to find auto parts! http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...eh2h0hfrv7mpa4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345