Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Recoil Difference BT 12 and 20

As some of you know, I am considering a variety of options since my back surgury in terms of still being able to shoot a shotgun (doc says 12 ga. even in a semi is a no no). So, I'm considering in either investing in the new Beretta Xtrema 2 (big bucks) or trading in my Beretta Urika 391 12 ga for a Urika in 20 ga. So, my question is: is there much difference in in a 12 vs. a 20 ga?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Recoil Difference BT 12 and 20

I'd say 20 ga is a little less, certainly more manageable than a 12 ga.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Jefferson County)

If additional weight of a pound or so wont hurt you, see if you can add lead shot to fill up the stock of the shotgun. The additional weight will absorb more recoil.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

You might look into recoil pads, some of them as so good you could think a 12 gauge is a 410,

Are you looking at clay bird sports or hunting? One of the things you could look at is a milder round if you make your own.
    Gameland rounds are a slight bit lighter then lead or steel shot. Some thing to consider. You might PM Bib and ask him what that recoil pad is that he has, ive seen him shoot with it and it looks down right comfy. it has springs going into the stock and a cheek weild so the recoil is absorbed in more then one place by springs.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Washington County)

The difference between 12 and 20 is 8.

Seriously though, there are a lot of recoil absorption products out there for shotguns - tubes filled with liquid that go in the stock, spring loaded butt plates. I think there was a thread on this before.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Allegheny County)

st.marys,

http://www.knoxx.com/index2.html

I can't remember if you're coming to the shoot on Sunday, but you could post and see if anyone has one they could bring... I shot one with the Knoxx stock and it was pretty impressive. (was it bigjlen that brought it? I forget now.)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I just picked up a mercury filled cylinder (i forget the brand) at lunch time that goes in the stock of the Beretta. It was ~60.00 at Gander Mtn. I'll try that and if it doesn't work then I can return it. If I need more recoil reduction, I'll try the Sims Vibration Laboratory recoil pad. I have one on my Remington Model 700 and those things work pretty well. I'll give you a report of how the mercury thingie works.

(Bedford County)

I like the recoil reducer that replaces the magazine cap for the 391's. Reason is, I then like to find the balace point of the gun and perhaps add a few ounces inside the stock. This will also help. The Limb Saver is a good pad.

Do you know anyone that reloads? You should find someone you trust to load you some ammo. Or buy a MEC 600jr press and load your own ammo. There are plenty of 7/8 and 1 oz loads in the books that will reduce recoil more than any add on part will. Find a super light load that your Beretta likes, and your in bidness.

(Bedford County)

One last bit of info for ya...

If the 12 gauge still kicks too much for your back. Look into a 28 gauge shotgun.

I shoot the 28 gauge in sporting clays, and my scores are pretty much equal to my 12 gauge scores.

The 28 gauge has almost ZERO felt recoil and will break clays and kill game birds dead as a rock. Ammo prices are a tad higher, but not bad if you buy them in bulk. I load them by the truck load for less than a standard box of 12 gauge trap shells.

Once you own the press and some empty hulls, the rest is cheap. The standard 28 gauge load is 3/4oz of shot which is less than any 12 gauge load. You also use less powder than the 12 gauge...so you can make more shells for the same price as loading for the 12 gauge.

I use a Browning XS Sporting O/U in 28 gauge....but Remington makes the 1100 semi in 28 gauge, and they are great little guns with almost no recoil at all.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    I just picked up a mercury filled cylinder
    Make sure not to get any murcury on your self. It is very toxic and will penertate your skin.

If the Mercury cylinder does no goot to your gun, try it under the hood of your car/truck. Clip it to part of the car so it cant be seen but can point out front. {behind the grill is a good place, braced to the front frame also.} Kills police radars. Not that there are many radars in PA, but in other places where radar is common, a murcury cylinder will blow the radar to the point the officer will wonder what hapened... Under vibration, the mercury travles up to 500 mph in a 3 inch cylinder.

In Quebec it got so popular that now if you get cought with one, you are in more trouble then if you had a radar detector. But unless you are alone on the road, its pretty hard for a police to single you out for it.
    Police would look up in the air like they expected to see a plane near by returning the radar signal.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast