Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Romanian AK in 5.45

What do I need to know? I'm strongly considering moving into something in 5.45. And I think this is a good way. I considered a saiga. But by the time I am done converting it... I could end up a few hundred lighter in the wallet and goofy ass holes in the back of the receiver. So while its initially $340... it will end up costing me probably $550.

I realize this gets me a Russian AK untouched by monkeys. But still... I don't know if I want to do the work either. After having an AK apart recently... I'm not exactly considering it a fond fucking experience.

I'm not buying an Arsenal AK either. Plain and simple. I totally understand for the most part they provide an excellent rifle. But they simply cost way too much. I just cannot justify it since I already have a handful of AK's.

Which brings me to my last point, I'm not touching anything in 5.45 with an American barrel. Idgaff, who's it is. No.

So are the Romanian AK's available now, such as from centerfire systems, or Atlantic, Romanian built guns? Imported WASR style or what? I'm ok with Romanian monkeys or maybe TGI building it. But I'd really need a Romanian chrome lined barrel to be ok with the purchase.

So, what am I in for? Typical WASR type fit and finish does not bother me whatsoever. I can tidy that stuff up no problem. Just wanted to make sure there was not some glaring details I didn't know about since I'm not as well versed in 5.45.

Anyone have one?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Romanian AK in 5.45

I have a Romy WASR2, complete with factory chrome-lined barrel. Maybe it's a Wednesday WASR, as it is the nicest WASR I have. Not one jam or FTF EVER.

There is also their SAR2 - same gun but from the pre-WASR days and with dimples and 922 parts.

As you know, Romys are servicable bargains - even in the 5.45x39 world.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

I'm not buying an Arsenal AK either. Plain and simple. I totally understand for the most part they provide an excellent rifle. But they simply cost way too much. I just cannot justify it since I already have a handful of AK's.
    I saw an online review between an Arsenal SGL 31 and a Century 74 (the drab ones in black poly stocks) and they virtually shot the same.

I think with a WASR 2 you're getting a Romy barrel still. So that would be another option.

After dealing with a lot of crap with Lancaster- I think Century isn't as bad as their rep is. I've had several Century rifles before and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    I have a Romy WASR2, complete with factory chrome-lined barrel. Maybe it's a Wednesday WASR, as it is the nicest WASR I have. Not one jam or FTF EVER.

There is also their SAR2 - same gun but from the pre-WASR days and with dimples and 922 parts.

As you know, Romys are servicable bargains - even in the 5.45x39 world.
    Ditto on the SAR-2, they work just fine. #2 daughter loves it (video link), I corrected trigger slap in about 15 minutes.

Romanian SAR-2

Also consider a US-made '74 from a parts kit. The early kit-guns had the original Russian Bulgarian barrels.

"Bulgarian" AKS-74 built on a Nodak receiver
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

I would absolutely love to build one from a parts kit. The problem is the tools. I do not have them. Nor do I want to invest in them at this time. If I would just go ahead and get them, I would probably do nothing but build AK's all day. (lol)

Or are you talking about buying one 'built' from a parts kit. Because I don't know where to go about doing that - that I can be sure about the origin of the parts, or quality. Right now I'd just like to stick to a Romanian built weapon if at all possible. Although I'd take a Bulgarian just the same. I just didn't want to buy one of those @ say $699 or $799 either.

And I was staying away from the Bulgarian Century slap together build thing on sale everywhere real cheap for like $369 *Delivered* that I know uses an American barrel, and is probably made of chewing gum wrappers, a wish and a prayer.

ETA: Yeah Rifleman, I've seen that video before of your daughter shooting yours. Kudo's of course for raising such a daughter. Two, you should have titled the video "look ma, no recoil."...
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 17th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I would absolutely love to build one from a parts kit. The problem is the tools. I do not have them. Nor do I want to invest in them at this time. If I would just go ahead and get them, I would probably do nothing but build AK's all day. (lol)
    No need to buy tools, particularly if you stay in PA Patriot's good graces.

Talk to him. He's a hell of an AK builder, check out an MD63 he built for me in Jan 2009:
    http://tinyurl.com/26y738p

FYI about AK-74s: the side-folders use different receivers, they have a latch hole on the side that the fixed variants lack. IOW, the receiver must be compatible with the parts kit. Check out http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm for details.

Or are you talking about buying one 'built' from a parts kit.
    Yes, actually I was referring to a pre-built. This way there's a possibility of a warranty or at least fiscal recovery if it was misrepresented or doesn't work out.

That's what the AKS-74 (re: previous post) is. A "Bulgarian" (wink) built on an Nodak receiver.

Because I don't know where to go about doing that - that I can be sure about the origin of the parts, or quality.
    Check Gun Borker. Broker. Damn, what's happening to my spelling today? Anyway, I found a few interesting specimens. Search term to exclude "Century" helps. "-century"

Right now I'd just like to stick to a Romanian built weapon if at all possible. Although I'd take a Bulgarian just the same. I just didn't want to buy one of those @ say $699 or $799 either.
    My recommendation, it's probably an exact match to what I have:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=174660072

Very pricey. But, I've been where you are -- The dilemma between cheap and getting what I really want. I pay the extra to squelch the pining later. The extra cost gets amortized over the life of the gun. Ask a *ton* of questions, you'll find that 74.

And I was staying away from the Bulgarian Century slap together build thing on sale everywhere real cheap for like $369 *Delivered* that I know uses an American barrel, and is probably made of chewing gum wrappers, a wish and a prayer.
    The big thing to watch is the bore diameter. If it's a true 5.45, you shouldn't have keyholing. The remaining issues (if any) can be dealt with. Finding one with an original barrel means buying a used gun almost for certain. The barrels were banned from importation a few years back.

ETA: Yeah Rifleman, I've seen that video before .. Kudo's of course for raising such a daughter.. ...
    Thanks, she's a shooter for sure. Will post more vids of her blasting later this summer if you guys want to see her at work.

Speaking of which, here's an SAR-2 like hers on GB right now for about $400!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=174375334

Check it out. Comes with two mags, uses standard AK-74 mags, all original.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

Or are you talking about buying one 'built' from a parts kit. Because I don't know where to go about doing that - that I can be sure about the origin of the parts, or quality. Right now I'd just like to stick to a Romanian built weapon if at all possible. Although I'd take a Bulgarian just the same. I just didn't want to buy one of those @ say $699 or $799 either.

ETA: Yeah Rifleman, I've seen that video before of your daughter shooting yours. Kudo's of course for raising such a daughter. Two, you should have titled the video "look ma, no recoil."...
    If I were to buy a 5.45 and not looking for anything special I would buy either:

1. Rommy (WASR2 or SAR2)
    2. Bulgy w/ original barrel

There are still bulgy kits floating around if you want to go that route. Gewehrwerks had a close out sale on their built kits but I believe they were like $799.

Word is that there are Russian 74 kits coming but they won't have original barrels.

Your a member of AKF, check out their EE. Usually good deals there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Not to start any trouble, but that gunbroker SAR2 that PA-R found looks like a smart buy. Even if for some bizarre reason, the cheap 5.45x39 dissappears, at least with a $400.00 SAR2/WASR2 - you won't feel taken for having an expensive wallhanger.

My tin-hat paranoia over long-term cheap mil-surp or imported ammo availability is what has me leery - seen it happen with .308, 8mm, 30.06.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Not to start any trouble, but that gunbroker SAR2 that PA-R found looks like a smart buy. Even if for some bizarre reason, the cheap 5.45x39 dissappears, at least with a $400.00 SAR2/WASR2 - you won't feel taken for having an expensive wallhanger.

My tin-hat paranoia over long-term cheap mil-surp or imported ammo availability is what has me leery - seen it happen with .308, 8mm, 30.06.
    This. ^

I totally typed a good response to all of this but it dumped my post...

But anyway, I gotta switch gears on ya Rifleman. I'm not spending $1000 on an AK. I don't care if it washes dishes. Not happening. Not even if it was gold plated and signed by Saddam. I'd spend $1000 on TWO AK's. But not one. I will not pine for an Arsenal AK. That's not the idea here. The idea here is to have a beater AK in 5.45. Something that WILL get dropped, possibly landed on... and otherwise shot until it melts.

Speaking of melting, I have a full set of KVAR poly furniture sitting here. So something in AK M/S format = win. I can drop my shit on and go.

My thoughts are similar to nfafan's. Basically 5.45 is of unknown longevity, so I refuse to get balls deep in it. I want this so when i don't feel like shooting up my 7.62, I can shoot 5.45 at a 2/1 ratio. I'll grab a handful of mags and that will be that. If it runs out, oh well. I'll maybe have $800 in the rifle, mags, and a few thousand rounds of ammo. Not a big loss.

My main focus here is not buying anything with an American barrel whatso-fucking-ever. I'm sure there are some out there that are just fine. Other people can buy them and tell me how it works out for them.

If I can get a Romanian gun that shoots what I aim at, done. No pining. I have a Romanian AK and it's excellent. This isn't a conversation piece. Or a collector's item. Neither is my other one. But it's probably the last rifle I would part with too. I don't need high end. I need useable. It's why I own AK's in the first place.

As for having PA Pat build one, I won't even waste his time talking to him about it. By the time I get a kit with, or find an original barrel, have him build it, and pay him money worth his skill level, I could have bought a DS Arms FAL. Which I'd much rather do. And is a move that would garner much more support at this household when I subsequently cannot pay any of my bills as a result of it.

So let's get back onto the Romanian guns. Unless you're finding original barreled Bulgarian guns in the $500 range not built by someone with down syndrome... But I doubt it. So let's regroup. I want to cover my initial base first. If I buy one of the Romanian guns available now...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What am I getting? Romanian chrome lined barrel? Imported, matching parts? Opened up by Century for AK mags?

Built on an American receiver by Century?

Typical WASR stuff?
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 17th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.

(Allegheny County)

What am I getting? Romanian chrome lined barrel? Imported, matching parts? Opened up by Century for AK mags?

Built on an American receiver by Century?

Typical WASR stuff?
    Depends on if you get a SAR2 or WASR2

Think about it this way.

WASR2 were imported like WASRs were
    SAR2 were imported like MAK90s were

Does that help?

To be honest, all you would need is a bunch of people to build the Tula 5.45 AKSUs that came in as pistols and the importation of 5.45 would stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast