23 13.45%
  • buckshot

148 86.55%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: home defense

(Monroe County)

Default Re: home defense

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    OK... moving around with a firearm that usually has an 18+ inch barrel, as opposed to a pistol or carbine with a 16" barrel (not for the pistol ), makes for a better weapon to defend ones self in one's home?

Great if it is all that you have, and probably better than a pistol, but not the best.

Absolutely for me, I have shot shotguns for many, many more years and have recieved training on them than a rifle or handgun. They are the best choice for me in certain situations.

They may not be for you but I'm not defending your home or making your decision. Of course we could all realize that what is best for one may not be for others and therefore nobody can claim what is "best" except for themselves.

00 buck here, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    OK... moving around with a firearm that usually has an 18+ inch barrel, as opposed to a pistol or carbine with a 16" barrel (not for the pistol ), makes for a better weapon to defend ones self in one's home?

Great if it is all that you have, and probably better than a pistol, but not the best.

I thought we were talking about home defense not house clearing. I suggest in home defense situation going to a safe room and letting the intruder come to you while calling 911 to pick up the body (I mean for help).

Even if house clearing sometimes unless they are very determined you rack a pump shotgun and they jump out of the window or run out of the door.

Intruder nightmare imagine coming down a hallway and they hear a 12 gauge rack compared to a pistol hardly no escape vs. the 12 gauge. Anyway strokes for folks. I'll stick with the 12 gauge as the 1st option and the pistol to get me to my shotgun.
    Last edited by Neko456; June 16th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Intruder nightmare imagine coming down a hallway and they hear a 12 gauge rack....
    Yes, that will make them have second thoughts about the home they chose to invade.
    Our bedroom has an AK behind the door & a 9mm on the nightstand, (No kids left at home). I used to keep a Mossberg 835 there, but my wife is much more comfortable shooting the AK.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

birdshot.. i live in a apartement complex..

Buck shot would be bad FOR ME.. if i wanted to let off a 38 special, six to nine times, i would grab my handgun..

Buckshot might be the most effective outdoors.. but I digress

Birdshot is where it is at.. atleast within 25 yards.. MORE PELETS MORE CHANCES OF A HIT. Less chance of over pen.

it's as simply as that.

I have ran test myself shooting at 1/2 inch drywall and some insulation. and trust me within the confines of your home or appartment.. the furthest you are going to be is like what maybe?? 15-20 yards.. MAX so i figured that would be best to test with

I can assure you buckshot punches CLEAN through and can then still break 2x4s mounted behind it...

birdshot DOES PUNCH THROUGH.. but not NEARLY as easy..

Only about 6 -10 pelets make it and this is a average and beyond that they were sticking into the cardboard behind the target. Buck shot was CLEAN through everything.

your mileage may vary.

(Lehigh County)

also noting what i said in the previous post...

Do you really want 38 cal Balls bouncing around inside your walls hitting god knows what?? Im not saying birdshot wont do that, it will, just not nearly a quarter as bad.

But trust me I know copper pipes will stop birdshot coming through the wall for the most part... they won't stop buckshot.

heaven forbid you hit a gas line.. or shoot a barrage of buckshot out your siding and take out your neighbors dog or better yet... there annoying car alarm.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    birdshot.. i live in a apartement complex..

Buck shot would be bad FOR ME.. if i wanted to let off a 38 special, six to nine times, i would grab my handgun..

Buckshot might be the most effective outdoors.. but I digress

Birdshot is where it is at.. atleast within 25 yards.. MORE PELETS MORE CHANCES OF A HIT. Less chance of over pen.

it's as simply as that.

I have ran test myself shooting at 1/2 inch drywall and some insulation. and trust me within the confines of your home or appartment.. the furthest you are going to be is like what maybe?? 15-20 yards.. MAX so i figured that would be best to test with

I can assure you buckshot punches CLEAN through and can then still break 2x4s mounted behind it...

birdshot DOES PUNCH THROUGH.. but not NEARLY as easy..

Only about 6 -10 pelets make it and this is a average and beyond that they were sticking into the cardboard behind the target. Buck shot was CLEAN through everything.

your mileage may vary.

(This part is just in general gumby, not necessarily directed at you) You should always keep in mind of where you are shooting, regardless of what ammo is being used, since many have the potential to stir your neighbor's soup. If you live in an apartment building, with an apartment on each side of you, and above you, you need to always keep in mind that you should only shoot front and back if possible. The less chance of your fire hitting something/someone of the neighbor's, the better...

So no matter what you are using, always keep in mind your direction, and what can possibly be beyond it.
    III%

(Warren County)

buckshot of course, birdshot will just piss them off. Buckshot on the other hand will let them see the error of their ways. Of course by the time time they realize their error, they'll be in hell. LOL
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Delaware County)

Buckshot. Blood stains can be cleaned and walls can be repaired.

Having an intruder remain alive during a home invasion isn't worth the risk.

I sure as hell don't want to be sued.....for defending myself or my family.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mredder351 View Post
    Buckshot. Blood stains can be cleaned and walls can be repaired.

Having an intruder remain alive during a home invasion isn't worth the risk.

I sure as hell don't want to be sued.....for defending myself or my family.
    The intruders family can still sue you, if the criminal dies. Using the logic you just used, you would probably be convicted of a minimum of voluntary manslaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGForty View Post
    Buck, because bird will just get you shot dead, when he laughs at you and returns fire.
    Really..
    so if someone breaks into my home and i shoot them within 15 feet with a 12 gauge with a 18.5 barrel... with birdshot.. they will laugh at me??

Why because I don't have BIGGER but LESS pellets coming out of my barrel??
    Also I have found target or bird shot tends to shoot better groups anyways(meaning the load stays together for a longer distance)

Find me a story ANYWHERE, where someone laughs after being hit at that range with birdshot.... out of a 12 gauge..and not to mention...

Does everyone think they are only going to have like 1 shell in their HD weapon???? sure.. maybe if it was a single shot I would load up buck shot.

I have 7+1... if someone survives...and can even move or be recognized after 8 rounds of birdshot from 15 feet..

I would shake their hand and give them whatever the fuck they wanted..because clearly i must be fighting the Terminator.

I really think most of you guys need to give birdshot a second look.. buckshot if good if your not going to look and just spray and pray within 15 feet, but horrible for accuracy, percision or whatever ESPECIALLY inside your house..

If I let my 12 gauge off in my apartment WITH BUCKSHOT.. My last problem is going to be if i hit the guy or not. i know im going to hit him.. Along with my 60 inch sony bravia, my entertainment center, my 25 gallon fish tank.. we should be practicing more on precision and accuracy instead of what round we are using.

Remeber with buckshot it's only 6-9 balls (about the size of a 38cal.) so that's not very good chances of a hit... Especially after 15 feet. i can ring 3 or 4 rounds off with birdshot and know FULL WELL almost all of the pellets will stick into the drywall..not go through and hit god knows what... maybe not the side im shooting on.. but atleast not punch through the other side.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast