Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New toy :) Yugo or Saiga

I got a decent chunck of ammo this past weekend and am going up to a gun shop to grab some more this weekend. While I still need a lot more I have that itch lol. I have been really thinking hard about what I would want next.

I really like the Yugo Underfolders and they are getting harder to find from what I hear. I was also thinking going the cheaper route and getting a Saiga and converting it myself. If I went the Saiga route it would either be 5.45 or 7.62 as I have an AK in both calibers so it wouldn't matter...I like the 7.62maybe a little more.

My thing is I would ultimately like to have every AK variant/style some day. I am thinking if there are ones getting harder to come by then maybe I should get those first, then the more common ones ? BTW I plan on shooting the hell out of them...I don't want safe queens lol.

If I could get some opinions that may help make my decision that would be great, or if anyone has another rifle to suggest I am open to that as well.

Thanks, PhilaShooter

Then again the Saiga is brand spankin new....new barrel which is a + so I am on the fence
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New toy :) Yugo or Saiga

I had a yugo in my hands tonight at a shop 499$ it was very nice very solid although I dont care much for an underfolder I once apon a time had a romanian under folder same rear stock as yugo it hurt to shoot not comfy
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Allegheny County)

Nobody asked, but one thought...

Which would be dissappear first if a ban thing would happen or even be hinted at?

The sporty, importable SAIGA, or the would-immediately-be-bought-up-and-dissappear U/F Yugos?

You decide.

Besides, as we all know, everytime a folder-stock AK is opened or closed, Pelosi's yeast infection itches.

Make the bitch itch for freedom.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Philadelphia County)

I'll say Saiga.

Conversion is no big deal. Provided you don't pay too much for an unconverted rifle, you'll spend less on rifle+conversion than you would for a Yugo. I like the wood stock Yugos - I think underfolders are crappy and uncomfortable to shoot. If you want folding, go side folding. Yugos are heavier and may or may not have chromed barrels.

Frankly if I already had 5.45 and 7.62x39 AKs I'd branch out and get somehing different but to each his own.

I had the opportunity to take my new Yugo M70AB2 to the range for the first time this past weekend, and I love it. Underfolder stock is the way to go, recoil is insignificant, even with the metal stock, and it is built like a tank. Also came with g2 trigger, flip up night sights (need painted), and flip up grenade launcher sights. I will say this....good luck if you are looking for an actualy AB2, and not an AB2T. Just about all the online sites that are selling the "AB2" are..in fact...selling the AB2T. I found this out when I called them and asked questions about the rifles (centerfire systems, JG sales, aimsurplus, classic arms). Right now many sites are sold out of even the AB2Ts. I think you'll be able to find AB2Ts for a while yet, but I am guessing the AB2s are just about done.

-Just my .02

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I had the opportunity to take my new Yugo M70AB2 to the range for the first time this past weekend, and I love it. Underfolder stock is the way to go, recoil is insignificant, even with the metal stock, and it is built like a tank. Also came with g2 trigger, flip up night sights (need painted), and flip up grenade launcher sights. I will say this....good luck if you are looking for an actualy AB2, and not an AB2T. Just about all the online sites that are selling the "AB2" are..in fact...selling the AB2T. I found this out when I called them and asked questions about the rifles (centerfire systems, JG sales, aimsurplus, classic arms). Right now many sites are sold out of even the AB2Ts. I think you'll be able to find AB2Ts for a while yet, but I am guessing the AB2s are just about done.

-Just my .02

What are the diffrences between the AB2 and AB2T ??

I saw one with a wood stock at the VF show last weekend....just doesn't look the same as the Underfolder version....the Underfolders look beautiful IMO, the Yugo ones anyway. Apparently the Underfolder stock is very durable also, not cheap sheet metal, it's a solid stock from what I have heard.

I have 2 side folders now, the Tantal and my AK47 with a DPS Arms side folder, I love them but would want the Yugo to look original ya know.

The only side folder I do want....BAD, is the Russian Triangle one !!! They are SWEET stocks but hard to find. Matter of fact if I could find one then I would probably go with a Saiga and put it on there.
    When ALL else fails...the AK won't !! Emotions...??? emotions are for people who CARE !!!

(Allegheny County)

the Uf's tend to loosen up with use. not usually enough to impair function, just enough to bother someone who wants his rifle to be perfect.

I have both and really like both. i would get a yugo and then get a saiga as a project rifle. you can then work on it as you feel like it.

the side-folders aren't as compact when folded, but are more comfortable to shoot and stronger. i have an older SAR 1 that's been modded to take a ak100 side-folder and it's just great.

the yugo rpk's are lots of fun too. i saw a pic of one that had been cut down to standard ak spec's and it was one cool rifle!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Montgomery County)

I'd say get the Yugo and don't look back. Its a part of history.

Remember the Saiga could always continue to come in as a neutered, politically correct rifle. Meanwhile, a Yugo UF is at the whim of the market (and part kits drying up). Its as politically uncorrect and bad-ass as they come. They conjure up images of Serbs in ski masks running through burned out cities.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ivil-war-91-99

Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not sure how much history you are getting when you buy a Yugo these days. Aren't the receivers, barrels, and FCGs US made at this point?

(Allegheny County)

Add some trench-carved wood and it gets close enough.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast