Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What if he shoots you with your own gun?

My boss is very liberal and anti-gun. Today, we received a fax from law enforcement about a guy who is targeting parking lots and kidnapping and sexually assaulting women. I commented that I should get my gun sooner than later... he responded "but what if he took your gun away from you and used it on you?"

Pause... [looking him straight in the eye, I responded] "and being raped would be better?"

I have to confess that I was encouraged by his sheepish "you make a good point there"

Maybe they can learn.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: What if he shoots you with your own gun?

Training. +10

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Training. +10
    Yup. But that was more than he needed to hear. Baby steps with liberals.

(I'm in the process of setting up my first training)

If it's as easy to take a gun away as the misogynistic anti-gunners claim, let the woman just snatch it back. Then they can just stand there for 2-3 hours grabbing the gun away from each other.

In point of fact, it's one of the most mind numbingly asinine arguments I hear from the brain dead anti-gun cult. Nobody's grabbing ANYTHING with a 200gr. .452, JHP in the brain. If a rapist tries to grab your gun, SHOOT HIM WITH IT... assuming you haven't already shot him in the course of the rape attempt itself.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Allegheny County)

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty."
    ~Clint Smith

Originally posted by PeteG
    Carrying a gun and believing one will never have to fight to retain that gun is no smarter and no more realistic than not carrying a gun in the belief that trouble only comes to "other people." It will happen at a time and in a place where one simply does not expect it, and the outcome will be dictated either by one's level of training, by dumb luck or by some combination of the two.
    I'll second what P-11 said, and what I pm'ed to you several days ago when you brought up the same concerns. Train and practice.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; June 15th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    If it's as easy to take a gun away as the misogynistic anti-gunners claim, let the woman just snatch it back. Then they can just stand there for 2-3 hours grabbing the gun away from each other.

In point of fact, it's one of the most mind numbingly asinine arguments I hear from the brain dead anti-gun cult. Nobody's grabbing ANYTHING with a 200gr. .452, JHP in the brain. If a rapist tries to grab your gun, SHOOT HIM WITH IT... assuming you haven't already shot him in the course of the rape attempt itself.
    the reality of the situtation is that the gun is not a magick tailsman that wards off evil and makes the bad bad man go away.

He may not be impressed by your gun, he may be ON YOU before you realize you need it, you may not know how to get to it and create the time and space you need to use it (do you?). And if you "know" how (been trained? learned? how? and by whom?) will you actually be able to pull it off during the fight of your life with a deranged drugged up serial rapist that practices beating and taking from victims all the time? This isnt his first rodeo, is it yours?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    My boss is very liberal and anti-gun. Today, we received a fax from law enforcement about a guy who is targeting parking lots and kidnapping and sexually assaulting women. I commented that I should get my gun sooner than later... he responded "but what if he took your gun away from you and used it on you?"

Pause... [looking him straight in the eye, I responded] "and being raped would be better?"

I have to confess that I was encouraged by his sheepish "you make a good point there"

Maybe they can learn.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    the reality of the situtation is that the gun is not a magick tailsman that wards off evil and makes the bad bad man go away.

He may not be impressed by your gun, he may be ON YOU before you realize you need it, you may not know how to get to it and create the time and space you need to use it (do you?). And if you "know" how (been trained? learned? how? and by whom?) will you actually be able to pull it off during the fight of your life with a deranged drugged up serial rapist that practices beating and taking from victims all the time? This isnt his first rodeo, is it yours?
    Okay, guys... I respect your advice and all. I will get training in both shooting properly and retention techniques. That is not the point of this thread. I have copied and kept all of the advice that has been given to me to date, as well as other advice that I've read on this forum.

This thread was about stupid liberal comments I hear daily.

For the record, as a woman who has lived long enough to have kids the age of some of you, there is not one single moment that I am not aware of men/people around me when out in public. Being assaulted at 15 will do that to a girl (I know - you're wondering why I haven't gotten a gun sooner) and I have learned a few self-defense techniques over the years.

The one thing that is holding me back from simply going out and getting a gun without first getting some training, is that I want to know how to handle it properly in all situations before I bring it into a house where my grandchildren visit.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Okay, guys... I respect your advice and all. I will get training in both shooting properly and retention techniques. That is not the point of this thread. I have copied and kept all of the advice that has been given to me to date, as well as other advice that I've read on this forum.

This thread was about stupid liberal comments I hear daily.

For the record, as a woman who has lived long enough to have kids the age of some of you, there is not one single moment that I am not aware of men/people around me when out in public. Being assaulted at 15 will do that to a girl (I know - you're wondering why I haven't gotten a gun sooner) and I have learned a few self-defense techniques over the years.

The one thing that is holding me back from simply going out and getting a gun without first getting some training, is that I want to know how to handle it properly in all situations before I bring it into a house where my grandchildren visit.
    Well, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Are you afraid of being attacked in your own home?

If not, you can always just keep it locked up when the grandkids are around until you're comfortable carrying it on your person. Unless you've never shot a weapon and you have absolutely no idea what you're doing with it, and then some training is a must first step.

I'm not a lawyer, etc etc. Just trying to help if you're on the fence about it .

Best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyComplicated View Post
    Well, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Are you afraid of being attacked in your own home?

If not, you can always just keep it locked up when the grandkids are around until you're comfortable carrying it on your person. Unless you've never shot a weapon and you have absolutely no idea what you're doing with it, and then some training is a must first step.

I'm not a lawyer, etc etc. Just trying to help if you're on the fence about it .

Best of luck with it.
    Not on the fence at all:

1. I've never shot anything other than a B-B gun
    2. I am saving my money - this is an investment, I've come to discover!
    3. I need training
    4. I have my LTCF
    5. I have contacted a trainer
    6. I have an offer of a place to practice shooting
    7. I have lots of good advice from this forum
    8. I want the gun for self-defense 24/7

First: training
    Second: practice
    Third: buy a gun (after trying several)
    Fourth: practice
    Fifth: more training
    Sixth: get my DH involved