Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question What to hunt? 4C-vs- 3D for Doe

Anti hunters ie Lutheran home in Topton posted up my old badlands by the watershed in 5C so that has killed off the last ok public area I know of there so I need to scout out some new stomping grounds.
    Good thing I'm planning to move up in the Tobyhanna area.
    So this is the last year I can get a guaranteed active duty Doe tag and lotto a 2nd unsold. So the question is should I get 4C go I can hit up Hickory Run down to Hawk MTN or 3D that I have no real clue about other then Walter Dam that seem to be fresh out of any kind of deer last year.

So what WMU should I primarily recon for Doe this fall?
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; June 15th, 2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: clean up mu badish verbage
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What to hunt? 4C-vs- 3D for Doe

I hunted up in that corner of 3D. I didn't see a single deer in two weeks. I think the ratio is determined to be about 1 buck for every 20 does.

I'm going to do some scouting this year and will probably have more success. I'll probably go alone too, since the people who came with me made more noise than an atomic bomb and I'm 3x their size.

ETA: I just moved into the area as well, and I'm in walking distance of the state game lands by hickory run.
    Last edited by jcabin; June 15th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Let me know what you see Jcabin, if its anything good I might apply for a doe permit this year. Last year I saw not a damn deer. Might have to start taking road trips to Central PA or something to find them if it doesnt get better. I started hunting alone because people either make too much noise or because they wind up whining about cold/ticks/whatever...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Let me know what you see Jcabin, if its anything good I might apply for a doe permit this year. Last year I saw not a damn deer. Might have to start taking road trips to Central PA or something to find them if it doesnt get better. I started hunting alone because people either make too much noise or because they wind up whining about cold/ticks/whatever...
    I'm going to apply for as many doe tags as I can get this year. I think they're only $5. I think you can start applying by the end of this month/early july.

There are alot more does in monroe than bucks, ALOT. With that in mind, if I see something that's worthy of shooting, it's likely going to be a doe, atleast I'll have the lawful ability to take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

I do most of my hunting down at the water gap (DWGNRA). Very few bucks there, but Ive been hearing that does were all over. Might be worth a look.

(Monroe County)

Sounds like your hunting has been renamed like mine-I call it Armed Recon now. -or-
    Paying to take the rifle out for a walk.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Cover both, order one from each WMU...get 1st round 4c and a 2nd round[unsold] 3d and scout both areas. Both should go into the 3rd round [unsold] and the DCNR has DMAPS. I know they have 'em in 3d and pprobably do in 4c too.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Cover both, order one from each WMU...get 1st round 4c and a 2nd round[unsold] 3d and scout both areas. Both should go into the 3rd round [unsold] and the DCNR has DMAPS. I know they have 'em in 3d and pprobably do in 4c too.
    That sound like the way I will go.

That being said what SGL's in 3D should I check out.

(Monroe County)

3d is insanely over hunted.

I'll give you the same advice I give everyone.

Hang up your rifle, get a bow and get hunting the first weekend of October, hunt 1/2 way through Nov (including the rut), take off the 2 weeks of rifle season and start hunting again the week after Xmas with a flint lock (if you have one)

You can also hunt Flint season which is in mid oct, but its filled with guys using inlines. I normally take that saturday off as well.

If you are retired or work 2nd shift Archery season will be your best friend!

also Area 3d has a TON of Bethlehem Water Authority property, all you have to do is call them and ask permission and they will give it to you.

and ignore Cabin, he has no idea what he is talking about :P

Why aren't you hunting 5C (Lehigh County) they have early season and late season rifle
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

I've hunted it last 15 years and had real joy. It's gotten over built or posted.
    What is it SGL 205? The one up RT100- I've poked around but it's pumkin patch. I've hit up one just north Kutztown and I might of seen a tail once.

Read my 1st post thanks to anti hunters one place I seen anything is now posted so I've given up on 5C.

Humm how/where can I get more info on the waterwork lands?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast