Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Taurus M85 timing issues

I recently purchased a Taurus M85 to use for CC and when at the range last weekend I noticed that when using it in DA it was sticking or jamming about every 5th or 6th pull of the trigger. After finding that out I came home and used some snap caps to dry fire it and yes about every 4-6 pulls it would hang up. I have never fully taken the pistol apart and am reluctant to send it back to Taurus since it will have to go back to Brazil. Has anyone had an issue like this or have any suggestions, I am thinking that it is a timing issue. BTW, this happens in DA or SA. I think that it should still be under warranty since I purchased it last winter(edit, lifetime warranty so yes it is covered).
    Thanks,
    Last edited by fischfam; June 15th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Taurus M85 timing issues

Well, first you should take it apart and scrub the crap out of it. Then, if you don't want to send it to Taurus find a local gun smith and ask him if he'll look at it and what he'll charge you. If you don't like what he charges send it to Taurus. Nuff said.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Call the Taurus customer support line, they handle the shipping. By the way, their facility is located in Florida, and that is where they handle repairs.

The phone number for customer support is: 305-624-1115

I have two questions, why do you assume that the revolver will go back to Brasil (and why would that be a problem if the maker covers that) and why would you not want to use the warranty that came with the revolver? In the future, be more critical, ask questions and gather information instead of jumping to conclusions, oh and buy a real revolver from Smith and Wesson.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    why do you assume that the revolver will go back to Brasil
    Just someone talking behind the counter at a gun shop who said that. And it was someone saying that so take it for what it is worth. He also mentioned that it could take months to get back. Not that I won't send it there but I didn't want to if I didn't have to. Someone also said that it gets sent to FL and from there they send some to Brasil. But they could have just been blowing wind.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Well, first you should take it apart and scrub the crap out of it. Then, if you don't want to send it to Taurus find a local gun smith and ask him if he'll look at it and what he'll charge you. If you don't like what he charges send it to Taurus. Nuff said.
    +1 on this. Take the sideplate off and get out any dirt and grease. If that doesn't fix it, and there's no obvious issues when you look inside (lots of burrs, missing or broken parts, etc.) then you can call Taurus or have a local gunsmith take a look at it. Awhile back, Taurus customer service got a lousy rep for taking a really long time and not fxing problems the first time the gun was sent in for service. Not sure if that's still the case or not -- you can visit the Taurus forum at taurusarmed.net and see what folks are saying lately. You paid for a gun that works, though, and I'd want Taurus to live up to its warranty,

I only own one Taurus, which I got used, but it was well cared for and the prior owner had an action job done on it, so it's smooth as butter. It's been reliable for me (but like Steve I still prefer my S&Ws). Good luck!

(Centre County)

Couple things to check. First, as said, pull the side plate off and see if anything is rubbing, hanging up, etc. when you pull the hammer back. Check the side plate to see if there are any marks showing something is protruding too much and rubbing on the side plate.

Second, hold it so you can see the barrel/cylinder gap. The gap should be even from bottom to top. If one is closer than the other go through all the positions and see if one cylinder face is catching on the barrel. If the b/c gap is not even then either the barrel wasn't put in correctly, the cylinder is tilted or the rear of the barrel was never squared correctly. The rear can be squared up pretty easily by a gunsmith. The cylinder tilt may be a minor fix for a smith but if the barrel was put in wrong then it best be sent back to the factory.

I just got done working on one that did what you described. It turned out that the rear of the barrel wasn't square. I used a facing cutter and trued it up and it seems to be working ok now.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

after inspecting it again very carefully I notice that there are burs or scratches on the end of the barrel near the cylinder. I think i am going to call the factory today and send it back to have fixed. Thanks all for the help.

Call the Taurus customer support line, they handle the shipping. By the way, their facility is located in Florida, and that is where they handle repairs.

The phone number for customer support is: 305-624-1115

I have two questions, why do you assume that the revolver will go back to Brasil (and why would that be a problem if the maker covers that) and why would you not want to use the warranty that came with the revolver? In the future, be more critical, ask questions and gather information instead of jumping to conclusions, oh and buy a real revolver from Smith and Wesson.
    It sound's like that's what fisch. was attempting to do...gather information...LOL
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Schuylkill County)

they only pay for the shipping if it was "made" in the last 12 months ??

they claim repairs will take only 4-6 weeks... then you will wait 3 months

they will not send you parts out to fix yourself you have to pay for the parts or send it to them they will fix it for free..

i think Taurus cust service likes to fustrate ppl i had an issue with the front screw on a Taurus tracker and the cylinder falling out it was ship it to them
    (28.50) weeks to months wait or order the parts and fix it myself 22.85 and took about 4 minutes they wouldn't send me the damn screw and springs for free which really blows they have lifetime repair... they should get a few Taurus dealers to do repair or pay for shipping no matter when it was made.... it prob would save their bad rep...

if you look around there are posts about light striking and the hammer not coming back all the way in DA.. it seems to be just replace the springs in the gun and it's fixed... IIRC i think it is the firing pin spring , trigger return spring and the hammerspring... they all seem to be the culprit oh they also say the Wolf spring kit needs modification (cutting a coil...binds or something) so call taurus and get the springs from them.

Thanks for all the comments, I called customer support today and they scheduled a pick up for Monday, I just hope that it wont take 6 months.