Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My take on 1911's

The 1911 is (officially) turning 100 very soon. I love them, and was trained with them. I think it is an excellent design, but I recognize that better pistols have been designed. As much as I do love them, I also am very picky about what I like a 1911 to be.

I think 1911's should be one size: Government.
    I think 1911's should be one caliber: 45ACP.
    I think 1911's should not have an accessory rail.
    I think 1911's should be single stack, and the magazine should be flush.

What bothers me most about 1911's is that there are too many to choose from.

Here is where I would like your opinions about the price tags. A 1911 can run a shooter anywhere from under $500 to over $5000. I cannot see the use in buying the most expensive Wilson Combat, but I also don't want a cheap Rock Island Armory (unless I wanted a project gun.) I think a fair price for a great 1911 is the $800-$1500 range. I just cannot see thousands of dollars worth of better performance in a Wilson over a Kimber. For instance I could buy a Dodge Ram or a Cadillac Escalade pickup. Sure the Caddy is prettier, but if all I'm doing is hauling cargo why would I spend the extra money? Bragging rights is all I can come up with. So, what are you confortable paying? Is Wilson really worth all the extra money? Will a Colt or Kimber do?

Default Re: My take on 1911's

This is the land of Baskin Robbins. There is a flavor to satisfy everyone.

My 1911 is not .45
    My 1911 is single stack.
    My 1911 does not have a rail.
    My 1911 magazines are not flush.

There are a ton of other guns out there. It would be ignorant for me to say that the pinnacle of firearms technology was developed 100 years ago. I've touched a lot of guns in my life and the 1911 has a friendlier grip angle to me. Glocks make my wrist hurt after 3-4 magazines. Smith and Wesson non-1911 autos always rode a little high in my hand with 1cm to 1.5cm of space between the web of my hand and beavertail. A myriad of other guns just don't fit my unique physiology as well as the 1911.

I chose 9mm for recoil management. Modern loads of defense ammo perform well. Dead are the days of battle hardened generals complaining about how 9mm ain't big enough to be a man stopper.

I run a magwell, I like it.

As a carry gun I prefer not having a rail on it.

Why are Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown more? You get what you pay for. You are paying for all the work these men have done over the past 20 and 30 years to refine their craft. Is it worth it? You decide. Think of it this way, if you were in a car traveling 165mph would you rather it be a Chevy Cavalier or a Ferrarri Enzo? Exactly...

(Philadelphia County)

I get your point and I respect that. But I think the mystique of the 1911 is what it is. I like 9mm personally. More so than .45ACP, but I'm a traditionalist guy. I love the gun to car comparisons. Guys always pick the furthest scale possible when comparing high end/low end guns. The truth is that a Ferrari is much better than a Cavalier because of its technology. My comparrison was between 2 pickup trucks with maybe $40,000 difference between the two not $300,000. My point is that a gun is designed to do one thing: fire projectiles (to be accurate as well but accuracy is only as good as the operator.) Cars have way more options than guns will ever have and are therefore worth their money. With guns, there is only so much you can do and eventually you will run out of metal to tweek. My opinion is that at a certain point, a buyer is only spending money on a name and bragging rights. I mean is $3000 worth a quarter inch tighter groups at 25 yrds? If so by all means spend your money. But I would rather buy 3 Kimbers or Colts for the price of a Wilson.

(Monroe County)

My 1911's are Government. They are also Officer's Champion, longslide and Commander.

My 1911's are 45 acp. Also 9mm 38 super, 40 s&w and 10mm.

My 1911's are single stack, except for the ones that are doublestack.

I find that in the hands of most people there is little difference between a 1,000$ gun and a 3,000$ gun. If you are good enough that it makes a difference by all means spend the extra.

I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. and a 300$ Rock Island GI. I admit I love them all.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Lackawanna County)

I have a buddy who lives in Cali and plays with guns, he only shoots 1911s. It's not because he hates glocks or others its because of the mag restriction and for some reason some people don't subscribe to the low cap mags in guns that normally take high cap. So instead of shooting a glock that has a 10 round mag and getting funny eyes, he shoots 1911s and is damn good. One of the best i've ever seen and I guess most of his friends that follow the same line of thinking do the and are just as good.

I'm guessing that he if had to pick between using the low caps or guns that are low caps in nature. Pick the low cap 1911, what you lose in mag size you make up with an overall excellent gun. I don't know many guns that match up to a dan wesson, les baer, kimbers and others.

A lil off topic but i thought i'd just throw it out there

My 1911 is in 10mm , does not have a rail, is government in size,and has a flush magazine. It does have a 6 inch ported barrel, and no barrel link.

But sometimes it is 45acp, and does have a barrel link.

(Carbon County)

I like my little RIA compact 45,, heavy, yes, but it has several hundred rounds through it now and not one FTE/FTF,, not one,, and I had good and complete crap ammo.. just to see what she would do.. if it wasnt for the weight it would be a great carry.. for now its just a good carry.. It doesnt drag my hiking shorts to my ankles so its not too heavy.. someday I hope to afford a high end 1911 compact.. but one with no issues..

I think the 1911 should be whatever you want it to be.

I feel cheated when I bought the Colt Commander I had to build it for comfort, reliability if I wanted to shoot HPs. they do a good job of making durable gun.
    But when I bought my Kimber 15 years later I thought this is a deal already fixed up for comfort and reliability once properly worn in. I didn't need the Customized 1911 but at that price and things on it I had to get it. It tops out the Kimber on ready available additions and looks cool too. It is as accurate as either of the 3 I'd still take the Colt we have been through so much together (it was a duty weapon for a short while).

I still think the Kimber is a steal after 15 years with the Colt. Now you got Dan Wesson, Charles Davis and Taurus making some good looking 1911s that reival Wilson, Ed Brown and Les Bauer in looks but not in quailty of what you get.

I don't think it was a mistake to build a 38 super, 40 cal or 10mm in 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    I get your point and I respect that. But I think the mystique of the 1911 is what it is. I like 9mm personally. More so than .45ACP, but I'm a traditionalist guy. I love the gun to car comparisons. Guys always pick the furthest scale possible when comparing high end/low end guns. The truth is that a Ferrari is much better than a Cavalier because of its technology. My comparrison was between 2 pickup trucks with maybe $40,000 difference between the two not $300,000. My point is that a gun is designed to do one thing: fire projectiles (to be accurate as well but accuracy is only as good as the operator.) Cars have way more options than guns will ever have and are therefore worth their money. With guns, there is only so much you can do and eventually you will run out of metal to tweek. My opinion is that at a certain point, a buyer is only spending money on a name and bragging rights. I mean is $3000 worth a quarter inch tighter groups at 25 yrds? If so by all means spend your money. But I would rather buy 3 Kimbers or Colts for the price of a Wilson.
    You do realize you spent more in the way of words telling me my single sentence about cars was misguided. You spend money on a name. Guns and cars are very similar in how they gain their prestige, they win competitions. For example the S&W DK1911 is a proven platform as is the STI GM when in capable hands. I detect some resentment from you for those that can afford the Wilson or the Baer. I too am a guy of average means but I don't indirectly call people suckers for buying high end kit.

(Monroe County)

I have a Govt One and love it.

I do plan to get a double stack one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast