Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default [PAFOA Blog] The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements

A few weeks ago Bryan Lentz (D-161) introduced House Bill 2536, a bill designed to gut the way reciprocity of Pennsylvania Licenses To Carry Firearms are handled in the Commonwealth. With a few small changed to wording, Rep. Lentz’s bill attempts to implement the misguided anti-gun agenda laid out by Philadelphia’s anti-gun crowd and remove the ability for Pennsylvania residents to carry a firearm on an out-of-state permit. The justification by gun control proponents for such a drastic restriction on your rights boils down to a handful of claims that Pennsylvania residents who were arrested (but not yet convicted) who subsequently had their permits revoked, continued to carry on out-of-state permits. In the eyes of anti-rights groups, you are apparently guilty until proven innocent.

The truth behind the matter however is that most Pennsylvania residents who seek out-of-state permits do so not to avoid the law, but to avoid abuses by their issuing authority, namely the Philadelphia Police Department. It is well known among Philadelphia residents and anyone who is paying attention that Philadelphia only begrudgingly complies with state law when issuing LTCFs and does everything in it’s power to prevent Philadelphia residents from receiving them. They force you to apply in person and limit the hours they allow this to the middle of work days, they demand additional documentation not outlined in state law and require character witnesses to execute affidavits. If you can actually get this far it is not unlikely that the Philadelphia Police Department will look for any excuse to deny issuing your permit, such as in the case of one Korean War Vet who claims being denied for having admitted to “pointing guns and shooting at people” – in reference to his service record.

These abuses are just examples of what happens in the process of applying for a LTCF through the Philadelphia Police Department, should you actually receive one they will look for any excuse to revoke it. For example, if a criminal breaks into your house and steals a firearm, the Philadelphia Police will twist that into a justification to revoke your LTCF. As ridiculous as it sounds, this happens every day and may explain why Philadelphia County is responsible for 30-40% of all state-wide revocations each year.

The irony of House Bill 2536 is that in attempting to use poor arguments to push extreme legislation, anti-gun forces have simply shone a spotlight on abuses by issuing authorities throughout the Commonwealth. As a result gun owners need to be oppose House Bill 2536 and demand reform to prevent subjective abuses by issuing authorities.

This article, The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreements, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreemen

my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Mercer County)

Post Re: [PAFOA Blog] The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreemen

I don't live in the Philly area, but with everything I've read, I can see why you folks need to be so well organized. The mentality of your Police Dept leaves alot to be desired. A year ago I got my CCP from the state of Utah, to go along with my PA CCP. The main reason was to be able to carry in Ohio, as I live right on the border and am in Ohio weekly and PA doesn't have a reciprical agreement with them. I didn't want to have to worry about being illegal when I went there. From what I'm reading now, it may be a bigger advantage than I originally thought if they gut our reciprical agreements with other states.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] The Move to Gut Pennsylvania’s Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreemen

I know you'll agree they didn't think this one out but I've found one more way they didn't- my permit. I live in VA as active duty but PA is my home state, I file my taxes here, and keep my PA drivers LIC but it made more sense for me to get a VA resident permit that was active duty station in state I could. But this would not allow it? Shame on them.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

I spoke with a good friend who is also a Phila. police officer about the UFA abuses commited by the Phila. Police Dept. He confirmed incidents where the police revoked someone's LTCF because there house was broken into and the
    legally owned firearm they had in the home was stolen. The reason for the revocation was that the firearm was not properly secured in the home. He also stated that this type of unwarranted revocation has been going on unchecked, hense the reason Philly residents who are law abiding citizens must seek other avenues to legally carry a firearm. I also emailed Rep. Lentz
    regarding this matter and outright violation of our constitutional rights by introducing H.B. 2536.

(Chester County)

whatever happened to "shall not be questioned" in regards to our right to carry from our state constitution.
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.