Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Default Re: side by side or pump, tactical for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I got tired of seeing "testicle" in the thread title, so I corrected it.

Bless you for that.

But I can now refer to "tacticles", a dandy new word which refers to the artificial bravado created by inept Mall Ninjas who believe that an AR-15 with 42 separate flashlights, lasers, scopes, red dots, bipods, can openers and 12-volt charging stations will automatically make them brave and competent. It gives them a big set of tacticles.

You may feel free to use this word for fun and profit.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Carbon County)

I tried to change it,, it did for a while but after I logged out it was back,, I dunno,, kinda liked it.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: side by side or pump, tacticle for home defense?

I would choose a pump action riot gun for home defesne if you are going with a shotgun. It's best to "run the gun you got" but if you are going to buy a specific one for the task a 18 in 7 shot pump is my choice.

As far as how you keep it is up to you. I personally keep my shotgun in what i believe they call cruiser mode with a full magazine but none in the chamber, pump it and go. This is how my granfather kept his Winchester 12, my dad kept his Remington 870 and I keep my Winchester 1300. Have always known the shotgun for the house has to be racked and would not try to retrain me or my wife after decades (crap i'm old) of working through scenarious where I pump the shotgun upon picking it up.

I am not saying this is the best way for anyone and if you do it this way I would not wait to pump the gun in front of the hostile threat but rather upon picking it up as it gets shouldered. I have also been woken in the middle of the night unexcpectedly and the last noise that will give away my position is my shotgun. Probably cannot even be heard over the sound of my barking dogs, screaming wife or stumbling me.

Edit to add: I just unloaded my home shotgun and had my wife stand in several different positions of the house while I racked my shotgun. Out of ten times she could not identify where I was by the noise other than to say "upstairs or down" and she only got that about 75% of the time. There was no way the sound gave her an accurate enough idea of where I was to return fire becasue she did not know what room or area I was in much less my exact standing position. This of course does you no good if you actually wait until you are in the intruders presence to rack the gun, I agree that is silly.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; August 16th, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

That is the condition that I assume we were talking about Shotgun loaded but none in the chamber. And racking the slide not as a bluff but in preparation to fire, i don't know how people assumed that you would face an intruder and then rack the slide???

I do support tactical lights if you know how to use them, seeing who you are about to destroy is important, you may have options.

I don't think it takes much time to rack a shotgun and the thought that it gives away your position is a minor consideration. To him and you knowing that you are now ready and its his move, before you mentally say CHECKMATE. And take his life. He have to be a mad dog murder to keep coming knowing he will be facing a SHOTGUN IMHO.

Granted I see the safety for you in the idea of no sound but the muzzle blast, element of surprise and all. But it does not out weigh or give any option for before incident home safety or who maybe in front of the muzzle neighbor's kid, our kids or teenager sneaking in wanting money or drugs.

I'm not for giving the crook a chance but giving me a chance to make the right maybe, life saving decision.
    Last edited by Neko456; August 17th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567