Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: side by side or pump, tacticle for home defense?

The side by side I was looking at was the stoeger coach gun,, in the defense 20g,, its small and no real need to "aim.. more point and click.. A rifle, or handgun in the dark would be hard to aim when nervous.. and calling 911 would mean the St police are 30-45 minutes away,, they took 23 minutes to respond to the JTNB that got robbed at gun point a block away from our house.. I'm sure they will move faster for an intruder in a residence..And for the pump I was looking at a pistol grip riot gun type. Something that can be brought up quickly in tight areas,, a long gun wouldnt fit inside the hallways well.. The question of the sound is most say the sound will clear the house and a shot will not need to be fired.. That is why I asked..

(Carbon County)

(Carbon County)

And the pump I was looking at is the mossy 500 cruiser 6 shot, 12 or 20g..

(Monroe County)

GO WITH THE CRUISER as it is highly customizable from just making it look better to mag extensions, speed feed stock, forward grips, etc etc. You will NOT be sorry. I suggest getting one with a stock, NOT JUST a pistol grip that you would hip fire. Your hands/arms will thank you during practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    its small and no real need to "aim.. more point and click..
    this is a myth.

you do need to aim a shotgun.

the spread is not that big at close ranges.

(and you definitely want more than 2 shots before you have to reload.)

The question of the sound is most say the sound will clear the house and a shot will not need to be fired.
    never listen to "most". seek out people who actually know what they are talking about and listen to them.

will the sound of a shotgun racking scare away a bad guy? maybe, maybe not.

you have to remember that people who would do a home invasion do not necessarily think like those of us who would not--and what would cause us to rethink our plan may not have the same effect on them. they also may be on drugs, may be just plain insane, etc. etc.

personally, i would rather have a round already chambered and ready to go. but to each his own. if you do rack the shotgun to attempt to scare the bad guy away, though, i would suggest moving immediately afterward as you have, to some extent at least, just given away your position.
    F*S=k

Rails on a coach gun?!? REALLY?!? WTF were they thinking?

*hangs head in shame*

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    , its small and no real need to "aim.. more point and click.. A rifle, or handgun in the dark would be hard to aim when nervous..
    This is the type of thinking that leads people to shoot their own family members in the middle of the night. Its dangerous thinking, ignorant, if you will.

I'm glad you are asking questions on this forum, this is the proper place to go from danger/ignorance about firearms, towards safety for yourself and your family.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Delaware County)

SxS also wouldn't be my first choice. A Stoeger would never make my list of weapons to stake my life on. I know they are attractive because of their price tag.
    Clearing a room or a house may look cool on TV, but it's not something for the faint of heart to try without some training or firearms skills.
    Retreat to a bedroom, hunker down and call the police. Defend yourself if need be, but don't go looking for trouble IMO.
    I cleared my house one time after hearing a loud strange sound. I don't mind telling you it took all the nerve and controll I could muster to do it. I never did figure out what it was.
    No slide racking, aiming and shooting. Yes you need to aim! Even if you cut the chokes out of a shotgun, at 12 feet, you still have a tight pattern.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

but pump,, so they hear the racking,,

This is not the magic many think it is.

I'd prefer the pump. A no choke shotgun only spreads about an inch a yard of range so you still have to aim.

(Carbon County)

Aim,, yes but not as critical of aim as say a 45 with a 3.5 barrel or a LCP 380. And its just me and the wife,, no kids etc..
    I'm most likely going with the pump as talking with the wife,, it sounds like she would have more trouble loading that if she had to fire it twice.. I go away for weeks at times for work.
    I had doubles growing up(never a pump),, kept behind the doors in the parents room.. but its long gone.. and it was an old long double that wasnt good for much.. but a wall hanger..
    Its hopefully going to be something I never need to use but take out to the range to have fun with.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast