Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SR9c

(Northumberland County)

Default New SR9c

As mentioned in the best and worst gun shops in NEPA here is the Ruger SR9c that I picked up at Piestraks.

First impressions were that there was definitely going to be a break in period with this gun. It was very very tight right out of the box and the edges are very sharp. The bottom of the slide actually left a small cut on my palm. The serrations even begin to hurt my fingers if I rack the slide a few times.

Cleaned it up and took it to the range the other day and the first round down the pipe cut the bull at 30 feet, the rest of my groups were in the 5" to 8" range. Trigger is great, much shorter than my PT111, and much much shorter and cleaner than my Sigma. Only malf in about 200 rounds was one light FTF, this may have been a hard primer and not necessarily a gun issue.

Here is a shot of the HUGE loaded chamber indicator.

Last edited by Quigar57; June 14th, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New SR9c

Nice. My wife absolutely loves hers. You're right about the sharp edges and those serrations on the slide take skin with them. She's noticed when cleaning it that skin actually builds up in the serrations. She's talked about getting a carry melt done on it but I don't know if she actually will.

It's a pretty accurate carry weapon too. She does well with it and it's very controllable with the low bore axis. I'm not a fan of the full size SR9 but the compact model I think is a winner.

(Northumberland County)

I mentioned the sharp edges to a guy I worked with and he told me to take a polishing cloth to them, he said it would smooth them out just enough.

Nice gun felt good in my hands and I haven't read anything but good things about it. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the way it mag release button was slightly different then what I was use to. Other then that it was a solid gun nice compact size and being sold at a good price.
    I've read that its a good gun, its been my experience that Ruger makes excellent, reliable, accurate and durable firearms.

Thumbs up on that purchase.

Congrats! I like the SR9's a lot. I have a buddy with the compact and one with the full size. I really like both but if I were to purchase one. It would be the compact.

I got the full size SR9 when they came out, Great gun and never had any kind of malfunction. It'll even digest that crappy steel cased Wolf. It's actually exceeded my expectations and I think Ruger did a good job on it.

I like the Compact, but just can't justfy another gun, let alone another 9mm.

~TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Monroe County)

wait a second............that giant friggin red thing thats sticking up is the loaded chamber indicator? why in the hell would they do something like that?!?!...other than that, its actually a very nice looking gun.

(Westmoreland County)

Another SR9c fan here.

My wife had never expressed an interest in taking up shooting, however two nights ago she said she'd like a gun and to start. So last night off we go to pick up a pickling crock from an Ace hardware we'd never been to before, and lo and behold, there's a gun store right next door. So I ask if she'd like to go in.

The good fellow behind the counter asked her a couple questions, and she started with a couple small light revolvers, to the pocket guns, to a couple of compacts, to the full size 9mm's, and she ended up liking the feel of the SR9c. We pick it up on the spot (I had to maintain some momentum an the interest in pistols...).

Today we head to the range and I get first crack at it, and it is an absolute fun gun to shoot. Very accurate, nice sights, short trigger pull, good grip, - I like it. I preferred the trigger of the ruger over other the Glock and SA.

I was letting the decision of which gun to buy be completely up to her, and I'm glad she picked the SR9. Personally, the fact that it has a manual safety makes me a little more comfortable, and the safety direction is in the same place and the same direction as a 1911 makes the crossover from the ruger to the 1911 more comfortable.

As previously mentioned, it is a very, very tight gun out of the box. I'd like to put another 6-800 rounds through it to make it fully broken in... .er, I'd like HER to put another 6-800 rnds through it... Even with 150 rounds we threw downrange, the slide has loosened up quite a bit, and the manual safety surely loosened up. I didn't have a problem shooting Fiochi FMJ, however when I switched to WWB, I think the slide tightness had an effect b/c it wouldn't lock to the rear on the last shot in the magazine.

I'm very impressed, and would actually seriously consider buying the regular SR9 for myself.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

(Philadelphia County)

I have a full size SR9 I bought used a few weeks ago. Price was too good to pass up for something full size and 9mm. Both the girlfriend and myself really enjoy shooting it.

When I bought it, the guy I got it from tossed a Minotaur IWB holster with it, which once I can wear more than a tee shirt outside, will be good for CC. Otherwise it prints really bad.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    wait a second............that giant friggin red thing thats sticking up is the loaded chamber indicator? why in the hell would they do something like that?!?!...other than that, its actually a very nice looking gun.
    Good question. It seems to be something Ruger likes doing. The MKIII LCI is a friggin piece of plastic wedged into the frame.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast