Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gun Control: Rooted in racism?

This video was created by Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership. I spotted it while surfing youtube for 2A videos. It delves into the history of American firearms laws and how some of them originated in racist times such as during the conflicts of the civil rights era. I thought it was interesting in light of the recent NRA lawsuit regarding public housing in Delaware and HB 357.

I think the second video makes some pertinent points about prohibition related firearms violence. I feel as thought the black market disputes which are spawned by prohibition are the primary cause of firearms related violence in our country. Black markets are unregulated and uncontrolled. Black market business disputes are not handled in courts, they don't call the cops. Imo you cannot solve the issue of gun violence without addressing the issue of drug policy and the Second Amendment will continue to suffer a black eye as long as the black market exists.

http://www.jpfo.org/

Default Re: Gun Control: Rooted in racism?

If you want a little history lesson, check out the way Tennessee's constitution related to keeping arms evolved during the 19th century.

(Lackawanna County)

No question: gun control laws, drug control laws, many laws that are unconstitutional were designed to control one minority group or another.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    No question: gun control laws, drug control laws, many laws that are unconstitutional were designed to control one minority group or another.
    That is historical fact.

(Susquehanna County)

Of course New York State's Sullivan Law was created to control the Irish and Italian immigrants that were then coming into NYC.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    If you want a little history lesson, check out the way Tennessee's constitution related to keeping arms evolved during the 19th century.
    I'll do that, thanks! Is there a particular source you could recommend? Not sure which direction to start off in.

(Philadelphia County)

I couldn't agree more with these opinions. I don't think many of today's anti-gun politicians are overtly racist or may not even be consciously denying guns based on race but there defiantly is a heritage and history of denying minorities the right to bare arms.

A lot of Urban Politicians (like Micheal Nutter, the Mayor of Philly) happen to be part of minority groups (he is black). I doubt his reasons for gun control are rooted in racism. Most likely, it is because he is just a nanny, control freak and misguided and believes that guns are the problem.

However, the origins of gun control, defiantly started with American Indians, Jim Crow and other minority groups such as Italians and the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by ForwardAssist View Post
    I'll do that, thanks! Is there a particular source you could recommend? Not sure which direction to start off in.
    There is a pretty interesting synopsis of state constitutions related to keeping and bearing arms at http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statedat.htm. Also interesting that most of the heavily anti states say nothing about this right in their state constitutions. A few on-topic tidbits:

Tennessee constitution:

1796: That the freemen of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defence.

1834: That the free white men of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defence.

1870: That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.

Arkansas:

1836: That the free white men of this State shall have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defence.

1868: The citizens of this State shall have the right to keep and bear arms for their common defense.

Quote Originally Posted by amagi View Post
    I couldn't agree more with these opinions. I don't think many of today's anti-gun politicians are overtly racist or may not even be consciously denying guns based on race but there defiantly is a heritage and history of denying minorities the right to bare arms.

A lot of Urban Politicians (like Micheal Nutter, the Mayor of Philly) happen to be part of minority groups (he is black). I doubt his reasons for gun control are rooted in racism. Most likely, it is because he is just a nanny, control freak and misguided and believes that guns are the problem.

However, the origins of gun control, defiantly started with American Indians, Jim Crow and other minority groups such as Italians and the Irish.
    One of the most dangerous things in existence is a community leader imploring a politician, "What are you going to do about this?". Nutter, like most city politicians, is constantly barraged by community leaders and religious leaders asking that very question. Ignoring community leaders often translates into career suicide for a politician.

The damage to everyone's civil rights begins when those politicians choose to lay the blame on the inanimate object instead of standing up and addressing the root cause of the violence. Of course there are crimes of passion committed with firearms, but the overwhelming number of shootings are black market related. It's easy to blame the gun. But the proper solution is to eliminate the profit motive and focus on providing education and creating gainful employment.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    And now gun control laws are being still implemented to oppress a hated (by the politicians) minority group: gun owners. They've simply switched from hating a race or ethnic origin to us.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast