Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AM I RUINING THE VALUE OF MY Pre ban AKM?

I used to live in Philly years ago. Back in 1984 I bought a Kassner Hungarian AKM underfolder 7.62 x 39(Pre-ban). I moved to New Jersey and let the gun sit for years not knowing how the politics was going to affect my "legal" ownership. I would be damned if I was going to hand it over to someone because some politician some where said it was now illegal. I think it is now worth some bucks. I bought it originally for $200 and change. I have heard of them changing hands for $1700+. I want to put a side mount scope plate on it because the cover mount systems suck. The only problem is if I put the side mount plate on my stamped receiver, I will not be able to close the underfolder stock. Not that I see a big need for the underfolder. In fact, I would much rather use the POSP 8x scope I have as well as my red dot from my AR on the side mount platform more than I would use the advantage of the underfolder stock. I don't want to destroy the value of the weapon by installing the side scope plate. I have toyed with the idea of machining the underfolder stock to accomodate both the underfolder and the side mount plate but I am waiting to hear from anyone out there if they have had such a dilemma and what they have done. Do I wreck the value if I punch three holes in the receiver and put on the plate? Do I not worry about the future and just do what I want to do to enjoy the gun my way. Hell, I can buy a new AK for $400 and use the side mount on that but I love that gun. I routinely outshoot my AR friends with it. If and when the fundamental islamists come walking down my street talking jihad, I know which weapon I am reaching for!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AM I RUINING THE VALUE OF MY Pre ban AKM?

You live in NJ....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by RBED View Post
    . I would be damned if I was going to hand it over to someone because some politician some where said it was now illegal.
    You can say that all the way to jail. Then you can say that before the judge. Then you can say that once you get out on parole, if you didn't die from chronic anal fissures via massive jail house cock.

Move out of NJ or sell it to someone who can legally own it in another state.(if that's even legal, I don't know. someone who does will be along shortly, but my original statement still stands)
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

I want to put a side mount scope plate on it because the cover mount systems suck. The only problem is if I put the side mount plate on my stamped receiver, I will not be able to close the underfolder stock.

Don't do it. Use some common sense here.

You can go out and buy a WASR, put an optic on it, and blaze away all you want. But once you begin to dick around with rails and screws and add a non-historical aspect to a preban Hungarian- there is no going back. Rendering the UF stock useless would be a sin.

Your post obviously has two themes and I'm only addressing one. The whole "I live in NJ and the police may come after me" is seperate. And I just realized maybe its not easy for you to buy a beater WASR on the side. But I was only addressing issue one. Don't de-value her on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    You can say that all the way to jail. Then you can say that before the judge. Then you can say that once you get out on parole, if you didn't die from chronic anal fissures via massive jail house cock.

Move out of NJ or sell it to someone who can legally own it in another state.(if that's even legal, I don't know. someone who does will be along shortly, but my original statement still stands)
    harsh .... yet true

i wouldnt be drilling into the side of mine if i had one, drilling holes into an older gun and putting stuff on that isnt original, seems like it may hurt the value just a little .... aks are cheap and everywhere drill use an optic on one of them

(Allegheny County)

Man, I'll trade you two Jersey-legal fixed-stock WASRs with the side-scope-mounts for your U/Folder Hunky!

Scope mounts on AKMs are post-89 cammo to show "sportiness".
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by RBED View Post
    ...Do I wreck the value if I punch three holes in the receiver and put on the plate?...
    You will devalue it if you make any permanent changes. If you want an AK with a scope, consider buying a newer Romanian or other AK equipped with a receiver-mounted scope mount.

Those Hungarian AKs were very well made, and now are collectors items.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

Don't do it

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw Pact View Post
    Don't do it. Use some common sense here.

You can go out and buy a WASR, put an optic on it, and blaze away all you want. But once you begin to dick around with rails and screws and add a non-historical aspect to a preban Hungarian- there is no going back. Rendering the UF stock useless would be a sin.
    THIS ^^^

Seriously.

(Blair County)

I cut enough off my underfolder to clear the scope rail mount that is on my Saiga 7.62x39.....

If you do that to yours though it would be a waste of a collectors item*

*all legalness aside I don't know that you live in Jersey for sure.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast